Windows 10: "REG DELETE" from CMD prompt. Ran into a problem...

Discus and support "REG DELETE" from CMD prompt. Ran into a problem... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Trying to use the following syntax from the cmd prompt: REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT /v <two words seperated by a space> /t... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thelps, May 22, 2018.

1. Thelps Win User

"REG DELETE" from CMD prompt. Ran into a problem...

Trying to use the following syntax from the cmd prompt:

REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT /v <two words seperated by a space> /t REG_MULTIZ_SZ /d <a specific line of text contained within the reg_multi_sz string>

what's the correct syntax since when I write the above I get a 'syntax error'?

To clarify: the REG_MULTI_SZ string I'm trying to modify has a name comprised of two words separated by a space.

Further: It contains multiple entries. I'm trying to delete one specific entry from within it.

Even further: Even if it were to contain only one entry, I'm trying to delete that specific entry while leaving the actual REG_MULTI_SZ string in existence, but empty.

:)

Thelps, May 22, 2018

2. Are cmd prompts the same on windows 10 as they are in 8

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Yes, the command prompt in Windows 10 is same as Windows 8. You can open the Command prompt by following methods.

• Press Windows key + X and click on Command prompt.
    (OR)

• Press Windows Key + X and click on Command prompt (admin) to open
      cmd with admin privileges.
    (OR)

• Press Windows key + R, type cmd and hit
      Enter

Please let us know if you are facing any issues with the command prompt. We'll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 22, 2018
  3. Numerous problems in W10

Hi Linda,

I would suggest you try the following steps and check:

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
    • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    If the scans finish repairing and shows no errors, then run the following commands:

• powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Check to be sure this command ran, showed a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt.
    • If you see a red error, then the command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be an larger problem with Windows 10. Try again.
    • Check to see if the issue is resolved.

Bennet Martin, May 22, 2018
Thema:

"REG DELETE" from CMD prompt. Ran into a problem...

1. "REG DELETE" from CMD prompt. Ran into a problem... - Similar Threads - REG DELETE CMD

2. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.: Hello Experts.I wish to delete a certificate from the "Personal" folder using a CMD prompt. I am unable to delete this in the normal easy way as bizarrely I do not have the delete option when I select the problematic certificate. I have seen this question answered a couple of...
  3. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD prompt: My user account is KENNETH\Local Account\Administrator.When I try to use CMD and open as administrator, it does not open as system32, but shows C:\Users\Administrator.Help please....
  4. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD prompt: My user account is KENNETH\Local Account\Administrator.When I try to use CMD and open as administrator, it does not open as system32, but shows C:\Users\Administrator.Help please....
  5. CMD prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  7. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  8. Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe: Hello Lovely people,Im from the Netherlands so my english isnt that very good,But couple of days when i start my up i got an cmd prompt but its empty so it doesnt say anything it stays a few sec and then it goes away and then i get the cmd prompt but with cscript.exe and then...
  9. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cmd prompt: I had win 10 setup so that shift right click context menus showed cmd prompt, as powershell does a lousy job with batch files, which I use a lot. Latest update killed that setting and I can't get it back. None of the suggestions on the web are working. So two questions:...
  10. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cmd prompt: My cmd prompt isn't opening for my file (use for Minecraft modding) The option doesn't even show up to use it all that shows up is powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-prompt/5f084111-fa7d-4cdd-b450-68c430dcd7b0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reg delete with no prompt from cmd prompt