Windows 10: Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program

Discus and support Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Suppose instead of the default reg settings for, say, pdf files, one wants a reg file to set up a custom program handler. For instance, Sumatra. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nkormanik, Mar 4, 2018.

1. nkormanik Win User

Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program

Suppose instead of the default reg settings for, say, pdf files, one wants a reg file to set up a custom program handler.

For instance, Sumatra. One would like Sumatra to handle pdf files. When one double-clicks on a pdf file, Sumatra loads and shows the pdf file.

How would one set up a reg file to establish that?

As has been noted elsewhere, presently many are reporting that Windows seems to be switching our default program apps. So, in the pdf case, Sumatra is being switched to Edge. A reg file, then, to make the switch back would be greatly appreciated.

One can then study the requested reg file to use with other switched extensions as well.

Thanks,
    Nicholas Kormanik

:)

nkormanik, Mar 4, 2018

2. Preview Pane Windows 10 - Files with extension .Draw not showing

Hi,

This happens if there is no Preview Handler defined for that file type. For proprietary file types, the program should include the appropriate preview handler. Which program opens this file type (.draw)?

May be you upload a sample .draw file and post the link here, so that I can test if it works using the handler that comes with Windows.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 4, 2018
  3. W10 Upgraded: Now shortcut links to apps (previous and new) don't work

That's very strange, but should be easy to fix. Run
    this quick file
    to re-associate your shortcut files with the proper handler, and they should begin working.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 4, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Set pdf to sumatra then goto reg edit Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts find the key and export it then you have your reg file

Samuria, Mar 4, 2018
  5. nkormanik Win User
    Did as suggested. Saved entire registry branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

Rebooted computer.

Instantly see what I'd earlier set up has been switched to what Microsoft wants. All reset.

Then I merged the saved 'customized' branch back into registry. Hoping to get back to the associations that I want.

No luck. Pdfs still load in Edge. As do epubs. Not Sumatra.
    And web links bring up Edge as well, instead of Chrome.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

nkormanik, Mar 4, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program [​IMG]

That's the one that changes if you change the association.
    You can try it for yourself- change the association e.g. via Open with and tick the box, then refresh the registry display.

(The Openwithlist should (more or less) match those displayed when rt clicking a pdf and clicking Open with of course).

Adobe users have historically been much more prone to pdf association problems. Not something I've seen much of personally.

If attempting to make the change by merging a reg file, you may have to do more to apply the change.

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    Did you save the key for sumatra or the whole branch?

Samuria, Mar 4, 2018
  8. RickC Win User

Feel free to tell me to butt out but I can't duplicate this behaviour. Using Win 10 Home 1709 Build 16299.125 x64 I installed SumatraPDF 3.1.2 using the Use SumatraPDF as the default PDF reader option:

After installation, the usual nonsense notification appeared:

I used Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default applications by file type to select SumatraPDF for PDF files.

Two restarts and a shutdown/restart later and the default PDF handler is still SumatraPDF.

I reset the VM afterwards and did exactly the same again... with the exact same results. SumatraPDF remains the default PDF handler.

RickC, Mar 4, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you mean you don't find the default pdf handler reverting to Edge as described in post #1 I agree.

However there are plenty of reports of this sort of thing, mostly related to the use of Adobe products. Older reports about unexpected changes to associations have occurred because of old versions of programs such as winzip being installed.

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  10. RickC Win User
    Ah, thanks. I avoid Adobe products if I can, hence why I haven't seen the issue before. I was just interested in case this was another 'MS knows best for you' across the board. *Smile

RickC, Mar 4, 2018
  11. nkormanik Win User
    nkormanik, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program - Similar Threads - Reg File Custom

2. File Explorer Preview Handler for zip files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Preview Handler for zip files: How/where do I get a File Explorer Preview Handler for zip files?File Explorer shows a preview for some file types but not zip files. I'm told I need a zip file Preview Handler for Windows 10. Where do I get/download one of these?Tim...
  3. Reg file Please

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reg file Please: Hello Had a look round the net to see if I can find a reg file to remove digital signatures tab in Windows 10 1809 x64 context menu properties for .exe files.Plenty of other edits but none for what I need. Does anyone have such a reg file or can point me to regedit to remove...
  4. All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder"

in Windows 10 Support
    All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder": Help! All of my image files are listed as File Type "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder!" They are all doing this, but let's use the most important file type for me, JPG, as an example. The default program is set to "Photos," and, when I double click on a JPG file, it opens...
  5. Adapting .REG Files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adapting .REG Files.: I came across these somewhere [sorry I can't remember where or I would credit the owner]. I know that Icon and Position are optional, but MUIVerb and SubCommands are compulsory. Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\AdvancedStartupOptions]" MUIVerb"="Advanced...
  6. Program made custom icons for file types

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program made custom icons for file types: Hi there, i downloaded an image viewer called "Imageglass", but when i make image files open in imageglass by default, imageglass changes the icon of said file type. Is there any way to fix this? https://imgur.com/a/MzDYbSx <--- picture showing what i mean I set jpg files to...
  7. Adapting .REG Files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adapting .REG Files.: I came across these somewhere [sorry I can't remember where or I would credit the owner]. I know that Icon and Position are optional, but MUIVerb and SubCommands are compulsory. Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\AdvancedStartupOptions]" MUIVerb"="Advanced...
  8. .reg file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .reg file error: Hi,I tried to change windows 10 font style by running a reg file- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="" "Segoe...
  9. Import reg file in a batch file

in Windows 10 Support
    Import reg file in a batch file: Hi, i've a reg file to mod windows 10 that works properly, but if i import it in a batch file it doesn't work. this is the reg file i've called Windows10.reg Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  10. Downloading a reg file.

in Browsers and Email
    Downloading a reg file.: This is not a problem just a observation. I noticed something strange when I went to download Brink's reg file to bring back the Photo Viewer. Either Pale Moon or Windows 10 thinks it's a .TS video file. [img] Has anyone else notice this when downloading a reg file? 40086