Windows 10: regain admin rights

Discus and support regain admin rights in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; this is for my brother he has lost all admin privileges and would like to get them back, how this happened he was doing a virus scan and it was taking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MrGaryD, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MrGaryD Win User

regain admin rights

this is for my brother he has lost all admin privileges and would like to get them back, how this happened he was doing a virus scan and it was taking an excessive amount of time and he wanted to stop it but it would not stop so he just turned off his computer when he restarted it booted in what he says was OTS mode with no admin rights. Is there a way he can recover admin rights???

thanks Gary

:)

MrGaryD, Oct 3, 2015
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 3, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 3, 2015
  4. BlankMe Win User

regain admin rights

I too have this issue. Windows 10 allowed my only active user, which was also an admin, to remove itself from the administrator group. I don't think past versions of Windows allowed this to occur. The OS would see the only active administrator account was about to remove its own admin permissions...and prompt the user that this can't happen.

How can windows 10 allow this!?!?

I'm currently looking for a fix or hack to remediate a gross oversight by Win10 pro.

BlankMe, Feb 17, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    The only way I can think of is to do a Clean Install.
    Naturally, you'll need another computer to download the ISO file.
    *** make sure the iso has the same Edition, Language and Bit-version as the one you need to fix ***

Here is the tutorial for Clean Install.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

davidhk, Feb 17, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  7. BlankMe Win User
    That second link from philc43 is the fix. I had come across it in my previous searches, BUT I missed that OPTION FOUR of the link is the fix.

For anyone who doesn't have an active admin account. Meaning, the only account still in the local Administrators group is disabled, OPTION FOUR is the method to activate the account.
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Options 1-3 only work if you already have an active admin...OPTION FOUR is if you don't have an active admin.

This happened to me when my system had my normal account...let's call it user "", as my day to day local account which was also in the Administrators group. The default Administrator account was there too, but was disabled. Then one day, I decided I didn't need to install anything new and wanted to remove my account from the Administrators group. Windows 10 allowed me to make the change, I rebooted, at which point I had one account I could sign in with that DIDN'T have admin.

Once that happens you can't enable the only other admin.

Ling story short...OPTION FOUR enabled the built in admin account even when I had zero admin permissions on my PC.

BlankMe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

regain admin rights

1. regain admin rights - Similar Threads - regain admin rights

2. How can regain my admin access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can regain my admin access: I was using a windows 10 pc and after my upgrade to windows 11 I decided to reset my pc to keep thing cleanthen I started making some new settings but in that process, I have somehow logged out myself from Admin, now I don't access to run a program as admin or do anything...
  3. How can regain my admin access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can regain my admin access: I was using a windows 10 pc and after my upgrade to windows 11 I decided to reset my pc to keep thing cleanthen I started making some new settings but in that process, I have somehow logged out myself from Admin, now I don't access to run a program as admin or do anything...
  4. No Admin rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Admin rights: Hi,I recently turned my PC off and when I have switched it back on, I have lost all admin rights on my PC.Certain programmes won't work such as Spotify and any games that I have installed through Xbox will not load both of which come up with the following error;'Windows...
  5. How to regain control of my admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  6. How to regain control of my admin account

in Windows 10 Support
    How to regain control of my admin account: I am the sole owner of my laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004, OS Build 19041.388). Yesterday I changed my account from an admin account to a standard user account and now I cannot access the admin account. Whenever I try to access the admin account it asks for a...
  7. How to regain admin rights

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to regain admin rights: Hi i recently bought a pc. In two days of kids doing homework its gone wrong. It wont let me delete or install anything even updates. I cant even login properly it just puts on a temp cant do anything account. How do i fix this ?...
  8. Regain Admin rights over Windows defender and Windows Firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Regain Admin rights over Windows defender and Windows Firewall?: Hey folks I've done something a computernerd like me, only can call..adminmoronic. I've been using Windows defender and Windows Firewall for the past year, since its beats Comodo for my protection Comodo is waaaaay better, but you spend half your computer time...
  9. Admin rights

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Admin rights: I ran into this problem when I changed to windows 10 upgrade. Should I change my computer name to the Microsoft profile name or would it be easier to just change my Microsoft profile name to match my computer name? Thanks...
  10. Admin Rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin Rights: How do I turn off passwords without being an Admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/admin-rights/298f50bc-2051-4905-94df-23c039e3c9c3"