Windows 10: Regarding Clean Reinstall of Windows 10

Discus and support Regarding Clean Reinstall of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running a dual boot setup, with Windows 7 installed on my first SSD and Windows 10 installed on the second. I initially had Win 8.1, but upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jax765, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jax765 Win User

Regarding Clean Reinstall of Windows 10

I'm running a dual boot setup, with Windows 7 installed on my first SSD and Windows 10 installed on the second. I initially had Win 8.1, but upgraded it to 10. I'd like to perform a clean reinstall of Windows 10, what would be the best way to do this? Would it be to select the "Reset this PC" function from the recovery menu?

Regarding Clean Reinstall of Windows 10 [​IMG]

Would this keep my other drives intact? I'd like to ensure that it only formats the drive that Windows 10 is currently installed on, and none of the others that I'm using.

Also when I reinstall, would the product key remain the same from 8.1?

:)

Jax765, Aug 8, 2015

2. Clean reinstall of WIndows 10 PRO

I suspect they will be changing it soon and making it less difficult for users to download the ISO's.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Clean reinstall of WIndows 10 PRO

What likely happened is the ISO file you downloaded was corrupt, I recommend you try downloading again then make a bootable copy using Rufus:

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 3:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Review the following guide for instructions and details about configuring your BIOS or UEFI boot settings for DVD, CD, USB or SD Card.

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB Drive or SD Card

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

Once your computer is set to boot from the DVD, you should see this option. If you are installing from a retail Windows 10 USB thumb drive, you will be asked to select either 32 or 64 bit Windows 10. Learn more here

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/choose-windows...

The Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the animating dots, everything should be ok.

Select your Language, Time and Keyboard method then click Next.

Click Install now

Windows 10 setup will prompt you for a product key during installation a couple times. If you originally upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 click the option 'I don't have a key' and 'Do this later' . If you have a Windows 10 product key, you can proceed
    to enter it.

Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again.

The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should install Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro should install Windows 10 Pro

Wait while setup prepares to copy files

Accept the license terms then click Next

Click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)

NOTE: Sometimes Windows 10 setup can become confused if it see's a thumb drive. You might get a driver missing error or something to that effect. If you do, restart setup, but this time, when you arrive at the following screen, disconnect your thumb drive then
    go through Custom options. When setup is ready copy files, it will prompt you to reconnect the installation source (your USB).

Select the drive then click New

NOTE: If you have multiple partitions listed, select each one (starting at the bottom), then click delete until there is only a single (one) unallocated drive displayed in the window.

Select the unallocated drive listed, click New, click Apply then OK

This will split the drive into multiple partitions, select the Primary partition then click Next.

NOTE: The System Reserved partition is where recovery files are kept for diagnostics and repairing damaged Windows 10 files; or even reinstall Windows 10.

Wait while Windows installs

When this phase of setup is complete, Windows will automatically restart then reboot into setup again.

Windows is detecting and installing your hardware. After this is complete, Windows will restart one last time.

Out of Box Experience

The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, configure privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Reset, keep nothing > under windows 10 will basically be a clean install..

As you proceed through the Reset Options, select ONLY the drive windows is on, this will prevent the other drive from being erased.

And if you ever decide to reinstall windows 8/8.1 you would reuse the windows 8/8.1 key..

Kyhi, Aug 8, 2015
  5. MickD Win User
    I also would like to know the difference between a Reset and clean install. Sounds as if the result is the same. Just curious exactly how "clean" a Reset would be. 1 obvious benefit of a Reset is there isn't a need for a bootable media DVD/USB.

MickD, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Regarding Clean Reinstall of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Regarding Clean Reinstall

2. Questions Regarding Reinstallation of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions Regarding Reinstallation of Windows 10.: Hello. Im here because I am unsure how to go about this process. As the headliner gave away, Im looking to reinstall Windows 10 through a Recovery File. Why ? I need to replace my Hard Drive due to it needing to be replaced for various reasons. Now, I know how to make a...
  3. Clean Windows 10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Windows 10 reinstall: Sorry for writing this in a separate post, im new so i dont know is there is some kind of chat for these problems. Anyways I want to reinstall my windows 10 fully on my ssd (I want all current applications, documents etc. To be deleted). Do I have to delete my files...
  4. Regarding windows 10 clean installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regarding windows 10 clean installation.: Hello sir, I am vaibhav, due to virus issue i was trying to install windows 10 clean installation but while installation when it reaches partition page it shows [ATTACH] This error i dont know what to do... i have dell laptop vostro 3558. I have deleted partition by...
  5. Clean reinstall Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clean reinstall Windows 10: Lost admin rights 2nd Time and I'm trying to reinstall Win10 using the Media Creation Tool 1909. Unable to get my computer to boot from the USB drive the tool is on. No matter which option I choose, it boots to the sign in screen. Any help is appreciated....
  6. Regarding Reinstalling Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Regarding Reinstalling Windows 10.: So, recently my laptop crashed and now its unable to boot up. I watched some tutorials regarding its fixing but nothing worked and the only solution seems to use USB with windows iso downloaded from media creation tool. So I watched some tutorials regarding how to reinstall...
  7. Reinstall after clean reinstall of windows 10

Reinstall after clean reinstall of windows 10: i back up my windows 10 machine to a western digital hard drive. Will that reinstall all of my applications? thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-after-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10/1ef582dd-62a0-4774-a637-173c9f32cc19
  8. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!: Hi all, I was wondering whether Windows 10 installs any hardware related drivers of its own at any point during a clean installation. A while back I did a clean install on my wife's Surface Pro 6 and saved a system image using Macrium Reflect as soon as it was done, without...
  9. Windows 10 clean reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 clean reinstall: Will doing a clean install on a machine with a install file created on a different machine still allow me to have a activated version on the repaired computer? The machine that needs repairing is a Windows 7 computer that was upgraded when it was free. Thanks in advance,...
  10. Windows 10 clean reinstall

Windows 10 clean reinstall: I downloaded windows 10 during the free period, i now want to install it on a new computer before this one dies but I dont seem to have a product key - it was automatically updated How do i go about this?...