Windows 10: regedit crashes when searching

Discus and support regedit crashes when searching in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On one of my Win10 systems regedit crashes on any search I try. Sometimes it will find a match but then continuing the search for another instance will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by larrymcg, Mar 17, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

regedit crashes when searching

On one of my Win10 systems regedit crashes on any search I try. Sometimes it will find a match but then continuing the search for another instance will eventually lead to a regedit crash. The symptom is that regedit looks active and the task manager shows that it is using 25% of the cpu but it never completes. So at this point it hasn't actually crashed. Clicking "Cancel" to cancel the search brings up a windows error message claiming that regedit has crashed. An AppCrash..... file is created. Maybe it is just stuck in a loop and the Cancel makes windows think it has crashed?

Makes me think there is an issue with the registry but the system has been running this way for some months and seems normal.

Suggestions?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Mar 17, 2016
  2. Kamka Win User

Regedit.exe search crashes after upgrade to 10586

Yeah - it's not us - it's the Regedit+MS regedit crashes when searching :)

Three different computers - updated, clean installed - regedit crashes. It seems for me as if it crashes if a search term is not found (anymore, after subsequent search).

Got used to it - if the search takes more than a minute, then it crashed. Even pressing the Cancel button on the search would crash it.

Kamka, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Registry Editor has stopped working

Got exactly same problem. After latest Windows Update, regedit is working strangely, including:

• Never-ending search (search dialog won't finish when it can't find next occurence of searched text)
    • After clicking cancel in search dialog (the "Searching the registry..." one), regedit crashes

Martin Zůbek, Mar 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

A well-known bug for which there is a long thread here. This happens if a key exceeds a certain maximum length. Workaround= use a 3rd party registry editor (free) which have the advantage of the equivalent of an address bar.

dalchina, Mar 18, 2016
  5. larrymcg Win User
    Yep, a 3rd party registry editor searches just fine. Thanks for the info.

larrymcg, Mar 19, 2016
  6. dcol Win User
    I have versions of the x86 and x64 regedit from Windows 10 enterprise version 10240 that work just fine. PM me if you want them.

dcol, Jun 3, 2016
  7. larrymcg Win User
    dcol, Thanks for the offer but I don't need them. It may be hard to know if regedit works just fine in all cases. My Win 10 versions worked just fine until they encountered a specific condition in the registry. See post #2 in this thread.
    --Larry

larrymcg, Jun 3, 2016
  8. dcol Win User

Ok Larry. The earlier version doesn't have that bug.

dcol, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. regedit crashes when searching - Similar Threads - regedit crashes searching

2. search engines crash when opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search engines crash when opening: when trying to open edge chrome bing search engine they shut down stright away opened another user on same pc and found no problems.can anyone help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engines-crash-when-opening/808f1580-f8bf-4a8c-9b33-fcd227200b4c
  3. search engines crash when opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search engines crash when opening: when trying to open edge chrome bing search engine they shut down stright away opened another user on same pc and found no problems.can anyone help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engines-crash-when-opening/808f1580-f8bf-4a8c-9b33-fcd227200b4c
  4. Settings app crashes when clicked on "Search > Searching Windows"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings app crashes when clicked on "Search > Searching Windows": I recently turned off the search indexing in my laptop and now I want to turn it back on, But now when I open the "Searching Windows" section in "Search" section, the settings app crashes. I tried restarting, but it in vain. Laptop- HP Pavilion Gaming 15 - bc406tx...
  5. Regedit crashes during registry searches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit crashes during registry searches: When I run a regedit search I am guaranteed that regedit will get stuck every single time while displaying the "Searching the registry" message box. When I eventually click the cancel button, I get the message that regedit has stopped working. I can repeat ad-nauseum, even...
  6. Regedit Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit Crash: Hello, Once I have installed "Audiograbber", not knowing about the ripping ability of win 10 media player. So I looked into the installed programs to uninstall it, it was not in the list, even CCleaner did not list it. Then I opened the windows 'all apps', found the program...
  7. regedit search broken again 14393.105

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit search broken again 14393.105: Just noticed regedit search is broken again like it was before. If you search for something that is not found it hangs. I tried regseeker to search and it also hung at 97%. 62514
  8. Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit: My cortana bar seems to be missing some important stuff when I search. Regedit is completely absent when doing search for one. Any ideas why? 23563
  9. Regedit can't finish searching

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit can't finish searching: Was trying to scan my registry using "find" in regedit. I click on Edit\Find and to look at Keys and Match whole string only for "Run". It will a few entries but when it gets to Local Machine\software\wow6432Node\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run and I do a F3 to...
  10. [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching.

in Windows 10 Support
    [10586.29] Regedit crashes while searching.: Hello. A few days ago I have found out the Regedit crashes on me while performing a search. Running w10 x64. I have run sfc /scannow and it said there were no integrity violations. Any ideas? PS - It even crashes if I hit the CANCEL button while searching. 33212