Windows 10: regedit not open from run command

Discus and support regedit not open from run command in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I bring up the run command (Win+R) and enter regedit or regedit.exe. It does not open. If I enter C:\Windows\regedit.exe, it opens. All other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dcol, Sep 9, 2015.

1. dcol Win User

regedit not open from run command

When I bring up the run command (Win+R) and enter regedit or regedit.exe. It does not open.
    If I enter C:\Windows\regedit.exe, it opens.
    All other exe files in the windows directory opens fine except for regedit.
    Windows and System32 folders were missing in the environment path, so I added them and there is no difference.
    I have 2 systems running Win10, one works and one does not
    I have full ownership and permissions to the Windows folder.

One other strange thing is the Run box doesn't keep any history on the problem computer, but does on the other one.

Anyone know what could cause this?

:)

dcol, Sep 9, 2015
  2. haydnguy Win User

Can't Remove Chrome Entry from Registry

Hello again,

I tried opening the command prompt as administrator, and running regedit from there.

Still no joy.

Thanks.

haydnguy, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Can not install Nokia PC Suite 6.85.14.1

Hi,

What windows you have?`

And could you check this:

Open Regedit (Click Start Menu > Run > give command Regedit > OK) and open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\

-> What paths you have in there?

miksu---01, Sep 9, 2015
  4. dcol Win User

Figured out the history thing. Was a setting in the Personalization. But stumped on why regedit is not opening from the run window

dcol, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Enter path in a Command Prompt window to see what the path Environment variable is set to. At an absolute minimum, it must have these

C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    C:\WINDOWS;
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

Also enter where regedit, see what it responds with. Mine shows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>where regedit
    C:\Windows\regedit.exe

Ztruker, Sep 10, 2015
  6. dcol Win User
    Those items are in the path and where regedit shows the correct locations. I have setup a desktop link to regedit and that works fine, but it will not run from the WIN+R run box or from the command prompt. When I type path into the command prompt (yes I run as administrator), it shows the windows directories in the list. All other executables in the windows directory work fine.

7. Wynona Win User
    Strange, Dcol. I just did the Win+R and it opened my Registry just fine.

I also can right click on Start and then click Run and type in Regedit and it works too. Long way around, but it works too. *Smile

Wynona, Sep 10, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Hi dcol *Smile

I had the same problem after installing on a system on a few weeks ago. The Run command was automatically searching in incorrect locations for some reason. I changed it so that it looks in the Local Disk C root as its default search location. It then automatically searches through the entire disk and loaded up regedit or gpedit or whatever without any problem. I also checked to confirm it used the same default search location after a cold boot.

Hope this helps

WhyMe, Sep 10, 2015
  9. what about powershell? type in powershell and see if it opens.

GamerwGlasses, Sep 10, 2015
  10. dcol Win User
    Does not open in powershell either. Doesn't error, just goes to the next line same as command prompt. Opens fine from explorer when I go directly to the folder.

No problem with any other exe's in the windows folder, ie notepad, write, helppane, etc. All open fine in the run box.

11. Wynona Win User
    No, he wanted you to try to open PowerShell from the Run command.

Wynona, Sep 10, 2015
  12. dcol Win User
    Yes powershell and cmd open from the run box. Everything except regedit opens.

13. Wynona Win User

Wow, this is a very strange one!

OK, I just tried this and it works for me . . . so let's see if it will work for you.

Right click the Start Window, select Command Prompt (admin) and hit Enter. Now type regedit and see if it will open for you.

Wynona, Sep 10, 2015
  14. dcol Win User
    Regedit does not open as administrator.

There is one other issue that may or may not be related. If explorer closes, the only way to start it up is a system reboot. Trying to run it in task manager also does not run. So explorer.exe has the same issue as regedit.

15. davexnet Win User
    Is it possible you have another instance of an executable regedit? I used explorer to search the HDD
    and found four instances of an executable file in \windows , \windows\winsxs and two in \windows.old

Look for regedit.bat,
    .cmd,
    .com
    .exe

davexnet, Sep 11, 2015
Thema:

1. regedit not open from run command - Similar Threads - regedit open run

2. Command Opens on its own and running a command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Opens on its own and running a command: Command Opens on its own and running a command and then displays the following messages SUCCESS: The process with PID 23036 child process of PID 22204 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The process with PID 18500 child process of PID 22204 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The process...
  3. Command Opens on its own and running a command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Opens on its own and running a command: Command Opens on its own and running a command and then displays the following messages SUCCESS: The process with PID 23036 child process of PID 22204 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The process with PID 18500 child process of PID 22204 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The process...
  4. Command prompt opening at random times and running commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt opening at random times and running commands: Same issue as seen in this other thread and I have already done everything else stated besides downloading Malwarebytes and doing a full scan but I have run Windows Defender with no results of malware and I'm just creating a new thread like stated at the end of the thread....
  5. Command prompt opening at random times and running commands

Command prompt opening at random times and running commands: Same issue as seen in this other thread and I have already done everything else stated besides downloading Malwarebytes and doing a full scan but I have run Windows Defender with no results of malware and I'm just creating a new thread like stated at the end of the thread....
  6. Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.: DESKTOP-A77K8T8.arnp1.txtp2.txttasks.csv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-keeps-opening-then-running-a/aa2905dd-ee63-429e-ab9e-7f8e27ec48b3
  7. Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.

Command prompt keeps opening, then running a command, and then closing again.: Happy new year everybody!Unfortunately I have been having some trouble for the past 4-5 months when command center would randomly open itself, run a command, then close itself sometimes, other times it'll just open and stay there until I manually close it. I already scanned...
  8. Command Prompt, Powershell and run command not opening from search function in Start.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Prompt, Powershell and run command not opening from search function in Start.: So, Today when I was trying to open command prompt to check battery report. It didn't open. At first-class I thought this was due to booting lag. But even after some time it didn't work. I googled and tried some fixes- 1. Changed environment variables(C:\Windows\SysWow64) 2....
  9. regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open: regedit, command prompt does not show run as administrator option and also does not open any .exe files on my windows 10 laptop.it says to look for an app in Microsoft store....
  10. Running a Command Line Command From a File Automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running a Command Line Command From a File Automatically: I have the following commands which need to be run in the command line: sc.exe config wuauserv start= disabled sc.exe stop wuauserv I want to create a file which, when launched, opens the command line, sends the above commands to the command line, and then closes the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. regedit does not run