Windows 10: regedit now denied me editing rights

Discus and support regedit now denied me editing rights in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi A coupla weks ago I found a site that gave a way to disable the login splash screen, so that I went straight to my login name and just entered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johndough, Aug 12, 2017.

1. johndough Win User

regedit now denied me editing rights

Hi

A coupla weks ago I found a site that gave a way to disable the login splash screen, so that I went straight to my login name and just entered password.

It was something like hkey local machine..... personalization create a new key.

I have has a complete update from microsoft and settings went awol. So I thought lookup the fix and apply.
    No can do. Installed OOregedit same effect.

Apart from MS updates I have changed AV and a few other small things. but I am still ADMIN.

So where do I start?
    Is it ownership of regedit?
    Policy problem?
    AVG?

:)

johndough, Aug 12, 2017

2. Cannot change the permissions for a registry key to fix DCOM error Event ID 10016

I have the same problem with RuntimeBroker, ShellServiceHost & ImmersiveShell. I tried the following:

I went into regedit and granted Full Control to HKCR\Appid and Clsid. Then I followed your instructions for the Administrator right here.

Then I ran regedit again and tried to grant full control to the user (SYSTEM) and access was still denied. I tried to run regedit from the elevated command prompt as Administrator, but access was denied from there, as well.

Any suggestions??

ElHilliard, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Cortana doesn't search for contacts?!

Seems to be causing a few problems. My own problem with Cortana - won't run - fails to access contacts (desktop) - was solved with this regedit. I'm sure somebody will tell me what this does...

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global and edited all of those values that were set to "Deny", setting them to "Allow".

Susan Slow, Aug 12, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

What was the exact key? I'll check what permissions I have.

Can you add some other key in HKLM? It doesn't matter what, HKLM\SYSTEM\NewKey for example. If you can (and then delete it again) that would rule out Admin rights etc.

5. johndough Win User
    Hi

No editing rights at all as far as I can tell, RO read only, in that area.

However in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    I have made an edit. Deleted an unwanted Start program.

regedit now denied me editing rights [​IMG]

It's small but beautifully marked. That was to change a value from 0 to 1. So clearly I am confuggled.

So please think and suggest away, and I will away and do more research.

johndough, Aug 12, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    I don't know about AGV but normally RO for HKLM is because you are not Admin user.

I can (as Admin user) add/delete/modify things in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with no prompting or need to change permissions. By default that key is owned by SYSTEM, Administrators group has full permission and Users group read only.

I know you said you are Admin but check again. If not all I can think of is make a new Admin account and try that or if that fails uninstall AGV as I know some AV software put additional restrictions on changing registry but don't know if AGV does.

I can't think of anything more helpful at the moment I'm afraid.

7. johndough Win User
    Thank you.

johndough, Aug 12, 2017
  8. johndough Win User

Sorted and SOLVED.

Me being stupid, the real key to this is engage brain before typing, and....

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

NoLockScreen 1

even if you have to create the 2 keys Personalization and Dword 32bit NoLockScreen and edit to value 1.

At boot time my login name comes up and I just type my password, I dont have to spacebar past a redundant screen.

Thanks.

(Now to mark this SOLVED)

johndough, Aug 12, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. regedit now denied me editing rights - Similar Threads - regedit denied editing

2. Impossible to edit wscsvc in regedit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to edit wscsvc in regedit: So i wanted to check antivirus but it said that it was locked then i unlocked the administrator user and then i tryed to edit wscsvc it wont let me. i even tryed to use cmd. but it didint worked. pls help...
  3. Impossible to edit wscsvc in regedit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to edit wscsvc in regedit: So i wanted to check antivirus but it said that it was locked then i unlocked the administrator user and then i tryed to edit wscsvc it wont let me. i even tryed to use cmd. but it didint worked. pls help...
  4. Support system is broken technically for me right now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support system is broken technically for me right now: I originally got help through the online chat system. Responses were slow, but it worked. I'm trying to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license for refurbished computers to a new computer. I was told that the license was transferable and told to wait to minutes while I was...
  5. Support system is broken technically for me right now

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Support system is broken technically for me right now: I originally got help through the online chat system. Responses were slow, but it worked. I'm trying to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license for refurbished computers to a new computer. I was told that the license was transferable and told to wait to minutes while I was...
  6. Potential problems after ProfileImagePath edit on regedit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Potential problems after ProfileImagePath edit on regedit: Hi, I tried changing the name of my user folder and edited the ProfileImagePath value on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList in regedit. Immediately upon doing so, the Start menu became really slow and the search wouldn't work. After...
  7. Regedit Will Not Let Me Make Edits In Editor After Reboot

Regedit Will Not Let Me Make Edits In Editor After Reboot: Hello all, I am currently trying to change the RAID setting in the BIOS setup to AHCI; however, in order to do that without crashing Windows I know that I need to change the registry keys from the registry editor. However, I am having trouble making edits to the registry...
  8. Administrator rights denied

Administrator rights denied: I would like to set up my Administrator Account again, because when I deleted it accidentaly...Now I have installed a software that would bypass CVE-2017-0213: Windows COM Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability. But now windows defender doesn't let the application run, because...
  9. Ribbon color edit via regedit

Ribbon color edit via regedit: Hi, I would like to know how to edit color of ribbon in regedit, that appear in folders, paint, wordpad etc.. I changed theme to dark but this white ribbon is quite annoying. Thanks[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. help (no taskmgr,cmd,regedit and access denied)

in Windows 10 Support
    help (no taskmgr,cmd,regedit and access denied): So recently I upgraded from 7 to 10, the thing is its already crazy buggy when it first started. so first Edge doesn't work... then after 1 hour, I gave up and restart the computer and reset my PC. Afraid of losing my stuff, I choose to keep my files. then good news Edge...