Windows 10: Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10

Discus and support Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10 How to Copy Region and Language Settings to Welcome Screen and New User Accounts in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Simpuhl Win User

Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10

How to: Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10

How to Copy Region and Language Settings to Welcome Screen and New User Accounts in Windows 10

Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note After Windows is installed, its main language is the language of the install media used. If no additional language packs will be installed, the main language remains unchanged.

When additional language packs are installed and display languages applied to various user accounts, any of these new additional languages can be used as Windows main language. This tutorial will show you how to change the main language of Windows, the language used in Welcome, Sign In, Sign Out, Shutdown and Restart screens, Start Menu section tiles, user and power options menus and for the built-in administrator account.

Notice that for the purpose of this tutorial at least one additional language pack must be installed, and at least one user account must be using other display language than the default install language. If the computer only has one user account its display language must have been changed.

Tip See this tutorial for installing language packs and applying an additional display language:
    Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10

System Language [/i] Change in Windows 10
    1. Open Region Settings:
    Open the Control Panel > Region (Control Panel in icon view) or Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Change date, time or number formats (Control Panel in category view), select the Administrative tab, click Copy Settings:

2. Copy Settings dialog explained:

In screenshot below, yellow highlight shows the language and location settings for the current user, red for system language (Welcome, Sign In, Sign Out, Shutdown, Start Menu section titles and so on), and green the settings for each new user account which will be created.

Numbered (#1) box shows the available settings. Welcome screen and system accounts, when selected and applied, changes the global Windows main language overriding the defaults with current user's settings. New user accounts, when selected and applied, changes the default language and location settings for each future user account to those of the current user.

3. Change settings:

First a screenshot from my Finnish user account's settings, the color and number codes the same as in previous screenshot:
    If I now want to change the Windows system globally "as Finnish as possible", change both the system language and settings for all new user accounts, I must select both available settings (#1 in screenshot above). This will change language and new user accounts as I wanted:
    (Before someone asks, we write countries with upper case in Finnish but languages, days and months starting with lower case *Wink, so "suomi" = Finnish but "Suomi" = Finland.)

Clicking OK applies the changed settings, system must now be rebooted.

4.The main system language changed:

Although the Windows on this machine is an original US English version, the system has now converted to Finnish​ as much as possible. Screenshot below shows how the date on lock screen has changed to Finnish ("keskiviikko(na)" = (on) Wednesday, "tammikuu(ta)" = (in) January), Welcome ("Tervetuloa") after sign in and Shutting down ("Sammutetaan") and everything (almost!) else is now in Finnish.

Ask if you have any questions, post your comments in this thread.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015

2. Changing Spanish Version to English

I was incorrectly sold a Spanish retail version of Windows 10. My roommate installed it before I was able to return it for the English version. I was able to change the language settings to English using Settings>Time & Language>Region & Language and applied
    it to all users and settings from Control Panel>Clock, Language, and Region>Region>Change Location>Administrative>Copy Settings>Copy your current settings to: Welcome screen and system accounts. However, applying an update seemed to reset this setting and
    the updating text was in Spanish and I had to change these settings again after the update. Is there a way to edit the registry or change my license so the default language is English if I need to update the system again?

BobLoblaw333, Jun 20, 2015
  3. kknjap Win User
    language on lock screen windows 10

I also faced similar problem, but I solved it by changing language and region setting under control panel as follow:

First, set English (United States) as preferred system language.

Control Panel> Clock, Language, and Region> Language> Advanced settings> Override for Windows display language> choose English (United States) and save

Second, go to Administrative tab under Region and press the Copy settings button.

Control Panel> Clock, Language, and Region> Region> Administrative> Copy settings

Then, check the Welcome screen and system accounts with “Â mark” and click “OK”.

Finally, restart the PC.

Now, you can see that the lock screen language has been changed to English (United States).

kknjap, Jun 20, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Simpuhl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

I am sorry but the answer is no. If you refresh, your Windows will be in Chinese and you need to reinstall the English language pack.

Your best shot is to download the English ISO image and do a complete reinstall using it. See this tutorial for instructions and download links: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

5. Simpuhl Win User
    Ok, I'll do that but will my licence still be valid? I upgraded from Windows 7.

Thank you for your quick reply

Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    We are still in pre-release version of Windows 10. You do not need a license. You can download the ISO, burn it to a DVD or Flash drive and do a clean install.

7. Simpuhl Win User
    Correct, but I originally had Windows 7 installed here. Do I still get my free copy of Windows 10 when it comes out? or did I loose my free license

Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

All Windows Insiders will get a free license of Windows 10. Sign up for the Windows Insider Program, install 10 and you are ready to go.

If you want to be absolutely sure, use the Chinese Windows 10 with language packs.

9. Simpuhl Win User
    Thank you sir. I wish there was a patch or something you could do to the system where the install files are located that would allow you to change it. Would be much easier than doing it from a clean ISO.

Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Kari correct me if I'm wrong or it doesn't work in Win10, but if his system is running good right now and is set up how he likes it, he could create a Custom Refresh for later.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ery-image.html

By the way real nice tutorial. It's very useful for us ex-pats*Wink

Cliff S, Jun 20, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Yes I think you are right. I had completely forgotten that option. Worth to check anyway.

12. Simpuhl Win User
    Awesome, that might be useful in another project

Simpuhl, Jun 20, 2015
  13. luciars Win User

hi! I followed all these steps. I live in Germany and I want to put my new computer in Spanish. Before updating it to windows 10, I was able to have spanish as the cpmputer display language, but after I updated the windows, I cannot change it back.

Please help! Is very frustrating not understanding anything of what my computer is saying...

I followed these steps, but when I restart the computer the "welcome screen and system accounts" check gets unchecked. I have no idea why. but I need help changing the language..

Please! I really apppreciate your time!

luciars, Jul 28, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    They will always be unchecked as soon as you have applied the changed settings, that is normal. Have you already installed Spanish language pack? Notice that Spanish language pack you had before upgrading to Windows 10 is no longer valid, it does not work. You need to reinstall Spanish language pack in Windows 10.

Tutorial to install language packs: Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

1. Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Region Language Settings

2. Language/Region Settings not affecting everywhere.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language/Region Settings not affecting everywhere.: I bought an XP Spectre Laptop in Japan. When the first install happened there was no initial option to switch language, so I did the install in Japanese. Since then I have switched the language and region to UK. But there are still some things showing in Japanese. If I search...
  3. Somewhere the Dutch language/regional setting is hiding

Somewhere the Dutch language/regional setting is hiding: I just installed Windows 10. New install. I remember setting the the Region to the Netherlands, because I'm used to € and separating digits with a comma instead of a period. All other language and regional settings are set to United States. However, all my browsers now...
  4. Region and Language

Region and Language: I have added a wrong region, how to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/region-and-language/5671547b-e950-4c77-b2af-554944ba5676
  5. Regional settings vs display language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Regional settings vs display language: Hi there, I am so tired of Windows and the way language, proofing, keyboard, display language etc is just one huge pile of manure. What settings do I need to click to get this?: Display language: English Formatting (time, currency etc): danish Spelling and proofing...
  6. Region and Language Settings - XML documentation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Region and Language Settings - XML documentation: Hi I'm looking for a full explanation/description of the XML commands to customize my regional settings. See below: <gs:UserLocale> <gs:Locale Name="en-UK" SetAsCurrent="true" ResetAllSettings="true"> <gs:Win32> <gs:iCalendarType>1</gs:iCalendarType>...
  7. Region and language

Region and language: I want to change my language to English, however when I go to the Region and Language section nothing appears what can i do to fix this? Here is a screenshot to see what happens [ATTACH]...
  8. Region & Language

Region & Language: Why doesn't Region & Language show up? It has been about this for 3 months. I updated and restarted the computer many times. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/region-language/c7470674-2f84-44b1-a4f8-73b6f19df89b
  9. Region settings: Unable to set default language!

in Windows 10 Support
    Region settings: Unable to set default language!: Hi, I get this error when setting my Region settings to English/Netherlands and restart Windows 10. Error : "Unable to set default language !" When I put it back to English/US then all is ok. How can I get my Regio settings to English/Netherlands, which Windows itself...
  10. region and language windows 10 blank

region and language windows 10 blank: region and language windows 10 is blank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/region-and-language-windows-10-blank/3e76e5e6-490c-4a15-b5c7-91f57ee3f4e5

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Region and Language Settings - Copy in Windows

2. DIDNT RESTART WHEN I PRESS COPY LANGUAGE SETTINGS