Windows 10: Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

Discus and support Registry Backup File Size Is Growing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've backed up my registry twice recently, and I noticed a huge difference in the size of the backup file. Two days ago, the backup I created was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gregyurkon, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

I've backed up my registry twice recently, and I noticed a huge difference in the size of the backup file. Two days ago, the backup I created was 18,066 KB. The one I created this morning is 247,691 KB. Should I be concerned about this, and, if so, what can I do about it?

:)

gregyurkon, Nov 9, 2015
  2. Stew1957 Win User

Backup completed successfully but some files were skipped error 0x8100002F (see attached PNG screenshot)

I ended up telling Backup to only make an up-to-date image file every day. Really frustrating that it is so difficult to make something not give you error messages on something that is not in fact an error at all.

What I found alarming also was when I was backing up files as well as an Image file how the backup size was growing day by day, even though I had set a size limit on the backup, it exceed the size limit I set.

I find it frustrating when I have to install a additional program to do something that is actually already on my computer but does not do things in the manner you would like it to.

I am now using "Copy To Syncroniser" to do the backups of my files. Maybe Microsoft should consider some of the features in this free program to make backup work better.

Thanks from Stew.

Stew1957, Nov 9, 2015
  3. PC Suite 7.1.40.1 does not backup my phone

Hello,

After installing the Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1, the backup process does not work.

The backup process goes over the entire process of scanning my Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Messages, etc. and at the end of it I get the message:

The phone did not contain any content to be backed up.

The backup file is not saved.

I can see the backup file (2009-11-25 Nokia E90.nbu) growing in size but when the backup process finishes, the file gets deleted. I have tried twice with the same result.

My phone is a E90, My computer is a Win XP SP3

Thanks

Roberto

marionette_66, Nov 9, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

Are you sure you backed up the whole thing the first time? If I export the whole registry from regedit (from a fairly recent clean install) it is 200MB (C:\Windows\System32\config is 175MB).

Your second backup looks about right - the first very small...

5. Thanks for the information. I must have found a way to screw up a simple thing like backing up the registry.*Smile

gregyurkon, Nov 11, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    If you had one of the hives (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT etc) highlighted instead of "Computer" it would only back up that part...

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

1. Registry Backup File Size Is Growing - Similar Threads - Registry Backup File

2. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  3. Taskbar growing in size Resolved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar growing in size Resolved: I was having this problem where my taskbar would continue to move upwards on my screen whenever I opened a new program. I had checked this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-growing-in-size/32a4f70c-da97-476d-9f4e-dc00e18072be for an answer,...
  4. Macrium Backup File Size

Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  5. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  6. Registry backup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry backup.: Hi… I'm writing for help; I need to back up my computer registry in Windows 10. In an informative way, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-backup/dd995970-3925-4591-b11b-6d5f49ea968f
  7. System Files Grow in size when I download something

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Files Grow in size when I download something: My laptop has 256gb of ssd storage. My main partition 'C:Windows' has 215gb available. When observing storage it says that windows' system files take up 47.8 gb and that system and reserved takes up 65.3 as a whole. Already this is a lot compared to the size of storage I have...
  8. growing file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    growing file: I have a file that grows to take up most of the room on my hard drive. when ever I delete or move files to a different drive the file grows to fill the spaces. I searched for the file but it does not show....
  9. App download size keeps growing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App download size keeps growing: I wanted to re download Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition, but after the download reached the app's size, the app just keeps on downloading and the size of the app follows with it. As of right now, the app's size went from around 50 gb to 115 gb and I'm not sure what to do....
  10. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

Size of backup file using Windows Backup: I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of...