Windows 10: Registry Cleaning

Discus and support Registry Cleaning in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Forgive me if this isn't the right thread to put this in. I have used CCleaner since Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. I am debating on installing it on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TreeMeister, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Registry Cleaning

Forgive me if this isn't the right thread to put this in. I have used CCleaner since Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. I am debating on installing it on Windows 10 right now but I've heard some things about Reg Cleaning. I was wondering if it really is bad to run reg cleaners and if so should I just avoid installing CCleaner? Should I just stick to the windows disk clean up then?

:)

TreeMeister, Aug 7, 2015
  2. tooney(2) Win User

Suggestion - Registry Clean Up

Most of the people who read and respond on this forum are not Microsoft employees. To provide feedback to MS developers, use the Feedback Hub application that comes with Windows 10.

tooney(2), Aug 7, 2015
  3. Nic727 Win User
    Suggestion - Registry Clean Up

Hi,

I think it's time for Microsoft to have a Registry cleaner as part of the system clean up software. Why do you ask?

Because the registry is full of unwanted files that make the PC working slowly or have some weird glitches. For example, I'm trying to clean some files in my Nvidia Settings and there is this little program that can't be removed, that I never installed and
    it's just bugging me. So I went in the registry to delete all stuffs with the same name and there was a lot! I also found some old placeholder like BingNews for the News app.

I think it would be a great idea sometimes to just clean up old and unwanted files. I know they don't have a big size, but sometimes it's just adding complexity to everything. So a Registry Clean Up where it find registry that weren't used for the last couple
    of months or don't have the required program to run and delete them.

What do you think?

Thank you

Nic727, Aug 7, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Registry Cleaning

Do not run Registry Cleaners. They are not necessary. don't have to uninstall CCleaner, though, because it has a great disk cleaning tool that is superior to the one built into Windows. Just avoid the Registry Cleaner. Registry cleaners can delete critical registry keys by accident and render r computer completely useless, and they don't actually increase performance (have ever run a registry cleaner, and did it improve performance for ?).

In fact, Microsoft used to have a registry cleaner that was removed because it caused computers to stop working.

Here is more information:

Using Registry Cleaner: Does Is It Really Make A Difference?

5. Windows disk cleanup will do a good enough cleanup, I sometimes use both tools. If you are unsure about the registry cleaner in CCleaner just don't use it. You can use the regular cleanup tool none the less though. The less programs you install the better! I actually find that I get almost identical results with windows disk cleanup and CCleaner.

chris1neji, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Hi TreeMeister welcome to Ten Forums,

Even in Ccleaners forums, they recommend against using the registry cleaner unless you are having a problem and want to delete a specific entry(RegEdit, can be a labyrinth with Minotaur's that will kill your system, if you don't know your way around).

This is the signature from Nergal a moderator at Ccleaner forums:
    There are four areas to stay away from if you don't know what you're doing:
    • Registry
    • WinSxs
    • System32
    • SysWOW64

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Alright thank you very much for the info, and thanks to everyone else who replied as well in such a fast time. I'll remember to stay away from registry cleaning from now on.

TreeMeister, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Dch48 Win User

Registry Cleaning

I always run the registry cleaning part of CCleaner after uninstalling something. I also run the Auslogics Registry Cleaner which is much more thorough about once a month. The function in CCleaner is perfectly safe to the point where I never even back up the changes made and have never had any problems. I think doing a registry cleanup is mandatory after doing the Win 10 upgrade from a previous OS. The amount of invalid entries is staggering and definitely will cause a slower boot time.

It is also mandatory to do a thorough defrag with a good third party tool like Puran or even the painfully slow optimization with the built in Windows defrag tool. After the upgrade, my disk was heavily fragmented and the registry was in 27 pieces. A boot time defrag and optimization with Puran after a CCleaner registry cleanup reduced my boot time to a third of what it was right after the upgrade process. I definitely recommend Puran and the registry cleaning function of CCleaner. Keeping a clean, unfragmented registry is a huge benefit regardless of what some people say.

Don't rely on the default maintenance tools of Windows. They work to a point but are painfully slow and not as thorough as the good third party alternatives.

Dch48, Aug 7, 2015
  9. I would agree with this, the windows tools does seem to be slow. I typically use O&O it was well worth the money. I'll get CCleaner again and use it only for it's system cleaning though. I'm on a brand new fresh install of Win 10 anyhow.

TreeMeister, Aug 7, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Sorry, don't take this question wrong, but do you really believe this?*What

Cliff S, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Dch48 Win User
    Absolutely and 100%. It has proven true time and time again on any machine I have ever owned or worked on. The parts you underlined absolutely improved my Windows 10 experience. As I said it made my boot time over 300% faster.

I also always let CCleaner's registry cleaning fix everything that is reported and checked and never back it up. I have never had a single problem. I do do backups of the changes made by Auslogics though since it delves much deeper than the rudimentary and perfectly safe function in CCleaner. I have never had to use a backup though.

Damaged registries are almost always caused by going in and manually making changes yourself. The utilities that do it for you are usually perfectly safe and do provide benefits. The benefit may be very small and even imperceptible by human senses, but they are there and the cumulative effects over time of keeping a clean registry are very beneficial and definitely perceptible.

Dch48, Aug 7, 2015
  12. meebers Win User
    I use CCleaner on all my machines. No problems so far (knock, knock) but I always save the registry and do an image immediately before, same as updates, new programs etc.

meebers, Aug 8, 2015
  13. Dch48 Win User

Registry Cleaning

I only do an image about once a month. Usually after the latest round of Windows updates. Yes, I said after, not before. I only image so I won't have to do updates over again. I use AOMEI Backupper since the built in Windows tool once again is terrible. The programs provided , like IE and Media Player are great and I use them as defaults, but the maintenance tools stink.

I made an image on 8.1 before upgrading to 10 but I'm about to delete it and do one of 10 now before the SR1 Win 10 update just in case. I have had no problems with 10 so there's no need to keep the 8.1 image.

I also keep System Restore turned off for all drives since I have never had to use it either and it just takes up space that can't be defragmented by Puran.

Dch48, Aug 8, 2015
  14. rvbfan Win User
    Modern OS's don't need registry cleaning.
    I've run the same install on my windows 7 machine since it came out.
    No degradation of performance.

rvbfan, Aug 8, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Ok..? I just wanted to know. I've tested just about all the cleaning tools defraggers, optimizers on a live machine using an old 350GB spinner. After creating a system image and reimaging(to create an unfragmented starting point) I installed and uninstalled 4 large programs, then from an external hard drive moved music and photo files around then reinstalled the programs(I always keep the latest installers for repair installs) and got 25%$ fragmentation and tons of invalid registry entries. I then proceeded to turn windows defragmenter off and pick a tool(Ccleaner & defraggler, IOBIT, Wise, Puran,...etc) and use it, checking boot times in event viewer(no 3rd party) for about 2 weeks- I then compared averages, and in almost all cases it's only a placebo effect, when comparing against windows built in tools, being run regularly. Some even caused serious instability(specially the boot time defraggers and reg cleaners). If one decides he must use these tools; my only recommendation is, to use "simple settings" and not the "advanced".

These tools do have their uses, don't get me wrong. For example I needed a 3rd party portable defragger(for me IOBITs was the fastest and most thorough) to defrag in Safe Mode(which isn't possible with windows own), so I could create a system image small enough to image from a 350GB HDD to a 128GB SSD. I just don't recommend them for regular maintenance. But this is just my experience and opinion YMMV*Smile

Cliff S, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Registry Cleaning

1. Registry Cleaning - Similar Threads - Registry Cleaning

2. Cleaning the registry after HDD failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cleaning the registry after HDD failure: HiI have a Z Book with a small primary drive, and a 1TB Secondary drive.Due to the small primary drive I install most of the programs on the secondary drive.Unfortunately, this secondary drive has failed. It has been replaced with a new SSD drive.The problem is, I cannot use...
  3. Cleaning the registry after HDD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleaning the registry after HDD failure: HiI have a Z Book with a small primary drive, and a 1TB Secondary drive.Due to the small primary drive I install most of the programs on the secondary drive.Unfortunately, this secondary drive has failed. It has been replaced with a new SSD drive.The problem is, I cannot use...
  4. Cleaning the registry after HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?: Hi everyone, which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend? I'm using Wise Registry Cleaner FREE. Do you recommend anything else? Which is the absolute best free or commercial? And which is instead the best free?Thanks in advance....
  6. Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?

Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?: Hi everyone, which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend? I'm using Wise Registry Cleaner FREE. Do you recommend anything else? Which is the absolute best free or commercial? And which is instead the best free?Thanks in advance....
  7. clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted...: clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted gpt to mbr before or after all data lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-disk-deletes-registry-and-old-and-new-data/ffd8637f-98d7-4807-93bd-36733ab27b79
  8. clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted...

clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted...: clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted gpt to mbr before or after all data lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-disk-deletes-registry-and-old-and-new-data/ffd8637f-98d7-4807-93bd-36733ab27b79
  9. clean disk deletes registry and old and new data also can i restore it or if i converted...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. i need help with my windows and registry cleaning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need help with my windows and registry cleaning: this post was super unhelpful*https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner-for-windows-10/fb7b8fbb-4380-4876-8515-2aebf4744259*because... well lets face it... there was no info about anything, just people talking :so, my situation is really...