Windows 10: Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold

Discus and support Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Winaero Tweaker on a couple of computers, to increase font sizes. Sometimes, when there's a Windows update, the custom settings go back to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mb1280, Dec 3, 2017.

1. mb1280 Win User

Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold

I use Winaero Tweaker on a couple of computers, to increase font sizes. Sometimes, when there's a Windows update, the custom settings go back to the default. Using an ICC profile helped, with the settings not being retained for some other reason, but it still does this after a windows update.

Do you know where these settings are, and how I can export the good Reg Key, so that when it happens again, I can just click that, and do a Restart to easily get them back? I think that's how it works. It's a pain to have to manually re-do them every time. Here are my notes. Winaero Tweaker indicates that it's not do-able:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Winaero Tweaker . . . Winaero Tweaker

How to import and export tweaks you did with Winaero Tweaker - Winaero . . . 08/15/17 Version 0.9 . . . 4. A number of tweaks related to advanced system appearance like "System font", "Status bar font" and so on won't be exported. The advanced appearance options are not officially supported in modern Windows versions. Importing them can cause unexpected behaviors in the OS, so I have decided to exclude them from import and export for now. Please consider configuring these options manually when required . . . How to import and export tweaks you did with Winaero Tweaker

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Winaero Tweaker / Advanced Appearance Settings / Other fonts you can change

In order from small to larger: Segoe UI / Liberation Sans / Verdana

Laptop
    03/16/17 I changed it from the default of "Segoe UI" to "Liberation Sans" . . . I made everything: 11 pt, "Bold"

z240
    06/07/17 I changed it from the default of "Segoe UI" to "Verdana"
    10/15/17 But with this new Win 10 update, leave it on the default of "Segoe UI", because when zoomed in, Verdana is jagged and blurry.
    . . . Below, the first number is the default. If it can't be 12 pt, the necessary size is stated . . . then the reason

Laptop
    10/30/17 With this new Win 10 update, leave font on the default of Segoe UI, and use the font sizes I figured out, "Bold"
    . . . The only smaller one would be "Message Font"
    11/06/17 I notice that Liberation Sans is slightly larger, but not as dark . . . use Liberation Sans, "Bold"

Regular, 9 ... 11 pt ... Icons ... 12 is too big for Properties/Previous Version
    Regular, 9 ... 12 pt ... Menus

Regular, 9 ... 10 pt ... Message Font
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 11 works for SeaMonkey / E-Mail / Server Settings / Advanced
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... but 11 is too big for the AdwCleaner menu

Regular, 9 ... 12 pt ... Statusbar Font
    Regular, 9 ... 12 pt ... Window Title Bars

:)

mb1280, Dec 3, 2017
  2. Gelomare Win User

Update Cause Undesirable Changes

how do i change my desktop font size after applying windows 10 update KB40200001. I had custom font sizes on my desktop where i could increase the size make bold z etc... After installing the above mentioned update i can no longer find the place in settings
    where i can customize the fonts on my desktop. Can anyone help.? Thanks a bunch.

Gelomare, Dec 3, 2017
  3. judy4WR Win User
    how do i change the size of email text that i see in windows live mail?

This did not address the issue.

Where is the usual Edit tab that allows me to see the size of font/italics/bold right there while i am composing?

Do I have to go to File - Options - Email - Font every time to change the font or bold a section of text?? That can't be right.

judy4WR, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello mb1280, *Smile

I'm not sure about for Winaero Tweaker, but the tutorials below include being able to set these using a .reg file in Option 2 to make it easy. You can just save the .reg file that looks best to you, and just merge it whenever you need to set it again.

You might see if the tutorial below may help for the default font used by the system.

*Arrow Change Default System Font in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Dec 3, 2017
  5. mb1280 Win User
    Hey, thanks! I re-named one with a .txt extension, and see the tiny change that's needed in these binaries - so it is programmable.

. . . so, I'd have to click on 5 Reg files each time?

. . . couldn't it be made into just one Reg file, one click?

. . . and it lets me see what it's going to do, before I let it update my Registry?

I think I didn't like this program for the same reason - there was no fast way to restore them:

WinTools.Info - System Font Size Changer . . . System Font Size Changer - WinTools.Info

WinTools.Info - Advanced System Font Size Changer . . . Advanced System Font Changer - WinTools.Info

I see lots of people complaining about this . . . besides people with Accessibility issues . . . frustrated that their custom font changes are lost with updates . . . and, how they got rid of the option to set these yourself in Win 10 with the last big update.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if someone could write a program that just acts on the fonts, and makes it easy to restore what you need? They would have to keep up with if MS changes anything.

Such a program would be a big time saver.

Why doesn't MS care about this? It's significant, and an issue with today's monitors that are HD, and the default font settings are way too small.

mb1280, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Oh yes, you can condense the .reg files into one .reg file.

Edit the .reg files, and copy over all the lines as is to one of them and save.

Be sure to only have Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 at the top, and not to copy it over from the other .reg files. You only want that line included once at the top.

If you need further help doing this, I'll be happy to help.

If you like, it's recommended to create a restore point before making any changes to the registry. This way, you could do a system restore using the restore point to undo the changes if needed.

Create System Restore Point in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

System Restore Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Dec 3, 2017
  7. mb1280 Win User
    I tried changing the System Font with Winaero Tweaker - Bad idea, I do not recommend doing this.

They shouldn't tell you that you can change this, with no warning.

If changing the System font, they should tell you somewhere, what fonts sets will work, and what font sets won't.

I found that changing individual fonts in Winaero Tweaker seemed to be ok, though: Icons, Menus, Message Font, Status Bar, Window Title Bars

Winaero Tweaker / Advanced Appearance Settings / System Font . . . Do not change it

The default is Segoe UI

1.) I changed it to Liberation Sans . . . there is no option to select BOLD, 11 pt
    At first glance, you see that it changes colons in the clock to little boxes

2.) Later, you see that you can't see X's and arrows to use in windows, like in e-mail
    It's ok to change the font on all the other possibilities, though (next)

If you change the System Font, it changes colons in the clock to little boxes?
    Win 10 Pro Creators update taskbar clock anomaly - any suggestions? Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    I had this issue with Win 10 Pro Creators as well after I changed the system font to Arial using winaero tweaker.
    I just went back there and restored that page to the default font [CLICK IN THE TOP CENTER], which is Segoe UI, and the clock went back to normal.
    All the other changes I made in the advanced appearance section worked, and I am please with the appearance on Win 10 Pro CE now.

USEFUL SYSTEM FONTS, FROM SMALL TO LARGER
    Segoe UI
    Liberation Sans
    Verdana

POSSIBLE DARK FONTS
    Segoe UI Black
    Arial Black
    DejuVu Sans
    Franklin Gothic Medium
    Miscrosoft YaHei UI
    Source Sans Pro Black

mb1280, Dec 3, 2017
  8. mb1280 Win User

Cool, thanks. As a hacker, I'm just finishing up something on how to get your Bookmarks out of Firefox with SQLite3. Let me finish that up, then I'll take a look at this. When I can get help with some of the difficult things, I can figure out the rest, and get it to work - then I like to share it

mb1280, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold - Similar Threads - Registry file restore

2. File names in other font and bolded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File names in other font and bolded: Answers to this question on this board say windows explorer doesn't allow file names in other fonts / bold / colour etc. Then how is it I have a folder as shown in the attached pic?...
  3. File names in other font and bolded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File names in other font and bolded: Answers to this question on this board say windows explorer doesn't allow file names in other fonts / bold / colour etc. Then how is it I have a folder as shown in the attached pic?...
  4. File names in other font and bolded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Folder Options: Bold Font & Increase Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder Options: Bold Font & Increase Size: I would like to change the system font size to make the text appear Bold and larger in size. Since none of the tricks suggested on this forum for a similar question seem to work with my system, I am posting this question again with my OS Details: Edition Windows10 Home...
  6. Balloon Bold Font

Balloon Bold Font: I have used Balloon Bold font in my logo for over 20 years but when Windows 10 took over the industry suddenly it will not display properly in any of my programs word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. How can I get this font to display properly? In addition to it not displaying...
  7. Browser font in Italic Bold

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browser font in Italic Bold: [ATTACH] Hey, I have an issue for a long time and never really found how to solve it. In some website font appear italic bold in a really weird way, I don't know what happens but it's with all browser (and only on the browser) firefox, brave, chrome, edge... I check...
  8. Fonts in English and bold fonts

Fonts in English and bold fonts: I was on the phone 2 hours today with 2 different people from Microsoft Technical Support. When I pulled up, what I thought, were available fonts, I found out they are not available for me to use. But to show me what I can upload from Microsoft. ANY font I want, I have to...
  9. set font size

set font size: How do I set a font and size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-font-size/9efdb163-2117-4234-b7af-1510eb5239d5
  10. File Explorer Font is Bold

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Font is Bold: When I open File Explorer I find its font is Bold. I must have changed some setting somewhere to cause that. How can I return it to normal. Thank you 77165