Windows 10: Registry Files

Discus and support Registry Files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, I would like to change the double click behaviour of .reg files in Windows 10, so that when I double click, the file opens for editing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gfd, Jan 28, 2017.

1. GFD
    gfd Win User

Registry Files

Greetings,

I would like to change the double click behaviour of .reg files in Windows 10, so that when I double click, the file opens for editing. When opening file and folder options, there is no longer a file type tab. Is there a registry hack or another settings dialogue I can use?

Thanks for your help,
    Graham

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 28, 2017
  3. Registry file.

I am in the process of following your direction but I read some where on the web that by doing this you would need your product number to install. This Toshiba Satellite has no number. Upon checking with them on the web they say they can't furnish one.
    It is embedded in the mother board. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I realize that millions of Microsoft customers have had no problem with the download but I won't believe that there are many like me who are having more than enough trouble.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded to my plea for help.

DonaldRososko, Jan 28, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Registry Files

Hello gfd, *Smile

If you like, you could right click on a .reg file, and click/tap on Edit to do so instead.

If you change the default app of .reg files to say "Notepad", it'll open in Notepad to edit it, but you you will no longer be able to merge the .reg file.

Brink, Jan 28, 2017
  5. GFD
    gfd Win User
    Thanks Brink. I thought there was an option in earlier Windows to make edit the double click result. Probably my imagination. My main concern was merging incorrect or incomplete information into the registry. Having said that, there is a warning after the double click.

Thanks again,
    Graham

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Registry Files

1. Registry Files - Similar Threads - Registry Files

2. How to reset the registry and everything else for file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reset the registry and everything else for file explorer: In Windows 10, I installed a patch from GitHub to remove the Ribbon and Location bar of File Explorer But then I regretted it But after removing the patch, now my file explorer is incomplete, for example, I don't have the menu bar in the file dialog, etc below image Now I...
  3. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...: Already tried granting permissions in regedit and taking ownership of the file + granting everyone permissions, also ran a "sfc /scannow" command to search for any corrupt files, but I get the exact same error....
  4. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...: Already tried granting permissions in regedit and taking ownership of the file + granting everyone permissions, also ran a "sfc /scannow" command to search for any corrupt files, but I get the exact same error....
  5. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Operating system could not be loaded because the system registry file is missing or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Operating system could not be loaded because the system registry file is missing or...: Tried booting up my system only for it to be running in an automatic repair loop could not even get into windows. Tried to rebuild the boot but now when it starts up I get this bsod saying the windows registry file is missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\systemRan chkdsk...
  7. Operating system could not be loaded because the system registry file is missing or...

Operating system could not be loaded because the system registry file is missing or...: Tried booting up my system only for it to be running in an automatic repair loop could not even get into windows. Tried to rebuild the boot but now when it starts up I get this bsod saying the windows registry file is missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\systemRan chkdsk...
  8. Which files should I open to "Load Hive" into Registry Editor?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Which files should I open to "Load Hive" into Registry Editor?: My Windows 10 PC failed. I've attached the old system drive to a Windows 11 machine via USB.I'm trying to export application configuration data that's said to be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ on the old drive. I should be able to import the hive from the old drive into...
  9. Which files should I open to "Load Hive" into Registry Editor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which files should I open to "Load Hive" into Registry Editor?: My Windows 10 PC failed. I've attached the old system drive to a Windows 11 machine via USB.I'm trying to export application configuration data that's said to be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ on the old drive. I should be able to import the hive from the old drive into...
  10. Which files should I open to "Load Hive" into Registry Editor?