Windows 10: Registry Key Customisation

Discus and support Registry Key Customisation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Guys, 1. Is there any way to find the registry key for the default icon of an application in Windows 10? Dell has installed a FreeFall Data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YanAndrew, May 24, 2016.

1. YanAndrew Win User

Registry Key Customisation

Hi Guys,

1. Is there any way to find the registry key for the default icon of an application in Windows 10? Dell has installed a FreeFall Data Protection application in my machine, which appears in the control panel and I'd like to change the icon for it. However, I do not know the registry key and couldn't find anything on it on the net.

How do I go about finding the registry keys for an application that's listed in the control panel?

2. I would also like to change the Quick Access icon in File Explorer, but do not know the registry key for it.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Andrew

:)

YanAndrew, May 24, 2016
  2. PuckEweMS Win User

Registry Keys

I am trying to take ownership of a registry key (DefaultMediaCost) so I can make changes to it. However I continually receive permission denied errors when I go to apply my change of ownership settings. I am doing this through admin. The main reason I am
    attempting this is to prevent windows from automatically downloading updates without my knowledge. If you know of another way that would be greatly appreciated. (Not gpedit thanks).

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

PuckEweMS, May 24, 2016
  3. registry key

Your solution did not work. Any other suggestions.

PATRICIAWARREN555, May 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, icons aren't specified in the registry. Icons are held in (e.g.) exe and dll files.

Thus to change many icons you need to change the content of such files.

A program like Resource hacker (free) is commonly used for this.

You might find it instructive to get a copy, open, say, shell32.dll or imageres.dll - or some exe's of some of your installed programs- and explore.

Changing folder icons is a different matter.

dalchina, May 24, 2016
  5. YanAndrew Win User
    Hello DalChina,

Thanks for the your message.

But I have been customising the icons on my Windows 10 laptop using the registry keys.

I'll have a look at Resource Hacker then.

Thanks,
    Andrew

YanAndrew, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry Key Customisation - Similar Threads - Registry Key Customisation

2. What's this registry key for?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's this registry key for?: All of a sudden, this registry key called Imagination Technologies popped up. I didn't install anything new, so what could this be used for?w https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-this-registry-key-for/16240cc4-7048-4c1c-ba52-0cfaf36494e3
  3. ProtectionPolicy registry key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ProtectionPolicy registry key: Hello ,I wish to know what exactly ProtectionPolicy registry key does and how it effects the integrity of systems on my network.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/protectionpolicy-registry-key/187af627-a6ab-413d-bcb5-a7e12a1c954e
  4. ProtectionPolicy registry key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ProtectionPolicy registry key: Hello ,I wish to know what exactly ProtectionPolicy registry key does and how it effects the integrity of systems on my network.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/protectionpolicy-registry-key/187af627-a6ab-413d-bcb5-a7e12a1c954e
  5. windows registry key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows registry key: i have been trying to update my windows and an errorThere were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070424 keeps popping up.....and when i...
  6. Deleted registry key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted registry key: I want to use my computer with WoL. But cann't doing. I search on the net, that have a registry key HKLM/System/Terminal Server/TSConnection what is make it. In my system this key isn't.Where I have to import it from?...
  7. Registry key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry key: How do I fix requested registry key not allowed in msi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-key/62df446d-c4af-49b0-b902-eb1898ce55b5
  8. HMB - Enable/Customise Host Memory Buffer in registry ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HMB - Enable/Customise Host Memory Buffer in registry ?: Hello guys, i have a DRAM-LESS SSD and wanted to see if there's any way for me to force enable HMB or customize its size in Windows ? I thought regedit was the best place to start submitted by /u/H-banGG [link] [comments]...
  9. Registry keys registry keys

Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  10. Customisation

Customisation: I have been following these customisation threads for a few days now. This is what I've managed so far. [img] Only one thing bothering me now tho, I am using TranslucentTB for the see through taskbar but now any app shortcut I pin to it will not work. The default Windows...