Windows 10: Registry PERMISSION changes don't persist across boots. No internet.

Discus and support Registry PERMISSION changes don't persist across boots. No internet. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I reset my Windows 10 system using the built-in method. Everything ran fine, the 4GB update went fine, I installed some software... then the next time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mediannmean, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Registry PERMISSION changes don't persist across boots. No internet.

I reset my Windows 10 system using the built-in method. Everything ran fine, the 4GB update went fine, I installed some software... then the next time I went to start it up, I got "no internet connection" over WiFi.

In order to run the netsh commands to get it back, I have to alter the permissions for
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContsolSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26 setting FullControl for Everybody.

After that, NETSH runs fine: Code: NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log[/quote] But once I reboot, I still have no internet connection, the permission flag had been toggled off again, and running NETSH results in another access denied message.

Somehow the internet connection did drift back somehow, but then went away again with the same situation I'm at now.

Other stuff: running CMD in admin mode. WiFi works for all other devices. Reboot router and modem.

Thanks for any help!

:)

mediannmean, Aug 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 error 10016 from Run-time broker - cannot change permissions

Right, this is why it's vital to have a known good registry backup before you do any of this!

The first time I tried this, I pressed "Remove" on that dialogue box, which then allowed me to change the permissions, but after rebooting I then found that a lot of my apps no longer worked.

I had to restore the registry to fix this, which put me back to square one of course.

Pressing "Cancel" is no use either, because it then opens the permissions dialogue in read-only mode, and you can't change anything!

I was resigned to this and thought I'd just have to put up with the error messages until I came across the PowerShell script. What it does that is different to what I was doing manually with the registry key permissions I don't know, but I tried again after
    running the script, and I pressed "Remove" on the dialogue, fully expecting to find that this had screwed things up again, changed the permissions, and was very pleased to find when I rebooted that all was still working fine!

It's early days yet to tell whether it really has fixed all the error messages, but at least I've now been able to do the whole fix without messing up the system!

Give it a try, as long as you can restore a known good version of the registry if things don't go right, you've nothing to lose.

DaveHawley, Aug 1, 2017
  3. mrjoetate Win User
    Windows 10 Application Log Event ID 1542 No start button/Windows cannot load classes registry file

According to many people in other threads that doesn't fix the issue. It merely gives a temporary change.

I didn't change permission across the entire registry,not sure where you got that. I'm only replying to be sure whatever MS engineer that may read this can be sure I didn't. I used event logs to troubleshoot permissions in the registry like they're designed
    to do.

Personally, I think giving repair advice to people who may or may not have the same issue (symptoms can be the same with different issues) is ill advice. Instead, unification of the recent updates and system configurations would be a good start.

mrjoetate, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

Registry PERMISSION changes don't persist across boots. No internet.

1. Registry PERMISSION changes don't persist across boots. No internet. - Similar Threads - Registry PERMISSION changes

2. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  3. License persistance across Microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    License persistance across Microsoft accounts: I bought a laptop a while ago that came with Windows 11 on it. I erased it and installed Linux. Now I've installed Windows 11 back and bought a license before the installation in order to activate it. I created an account but I want to change to another account, will the...
  4. License persistance across Microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License persistance across Microsoft accounts: I bought a laptop a while ago that came with Windows 11 on it. I erased it and installed Linux. Now I've installed Windows 11 back and bought a license before the installation in order to activate it. I created an account but I want to change to another account, will the...
  5. Accidentally changed Registry. PC not booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Accidentally changed Registry. PC not booting: Accidentally, i have changed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE--->SYSTEM--->SETUP--->SetupType value from 0 to 3. Now, PC not booting. Only HP logo is loading again and again....
  6. Is windows 10 changing persistently the write permissions of the files in the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is windows 10 changing persistently the write permissions of the files in the...: Hi: Is windows 10 changing persistently the write permissions of the files in the c:\programdata dir? I keep changing them to make the writable and I go back later on and I find that they are READ-ONLY. This did not happen a few weeks ago!. How can I prevent ANY app...
  7. Changed system and user registry permissions in internet explorer and registry app and now...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed system and user registry permissions in internet explorer and registry app and now...: I Changed system and user registry permissions in internet explorer and registry app and now can’t use any feature to access drives or commands. I have tried the search bar at the bottom and run commands and it gives error of not having access or has been deleted. Please...
  8. Fixing permissions, how to change evaluation order in registry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fixing permissions, how to change evaluation order in registry?: So ive gotten permissions set back to how they were on a particular key - the problem ive run up against is the fact theyre in about the opposite order they need to be now. is there a means of sorting them properly top to bottom without having to add back each one by one?...
  9. Registry permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry permissions: I edited registry HKEY_CURRENT _CONFIG permission but then it deleted all users automatically except the one i created recently. Now i can't access anything i tried to restart computer and reset it from advanced optionshift + restart but after 50 - 60 % it comes back to...
  10. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...: I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the...