Windows 10: Registry restoration on a clean install

Discus and support Registry restoration on a clean install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently had to do a clean install for windows 10 due to my computer deadlocking twice a day randomly. I backed up every application and even created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flicktheferret, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Registry restoration on a clean install

I recently had to do a clean install for windows 10 due to my computer deadlocking twice a day randomly. I backed up every application and even created a backup of my computer's registry in regedit before committing to a clean install. When I finished with reinstalling windows and copying over all of my previous program files every thing seemed to be working for the most part. However, when I double-clicked my registry backup to restore my old registry entries my computer stopped being able to run exe files constantly giving an error saying "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.". As instructed by Microsoft support to restart my computer I was locked out of windows and forced to do another clean install. Now I'm at the point to where I finished copying all my programs and files from my backup again and would like to restore at least part of my registry to retain old program settings.

Is it a bad idea to try and restore my old registry in whole?

What about in part?

If it is okay to restore in part how do I do that from a fully backed up registry file?

:)

flicktheferret, Nov 5, 2016

2. Does "Reset" clean/restore the registry

I want to clean install Windows 10 and I read the reset function can achieve this. Does this remove old and unused registry items essentially restoring it to its original state.

Fuzzy DunlopXA, Nov 5, 2016
  3. Does "Reset" clean/restore the registry

i don't think it completely restore the registry to its original state.its not like a clean windows install. because i still can't get a trial again when i try to install a software which i used as a trial product before resetting the pc but this does

not happen when i perform a clean install on my pc.

AussieKenDoll, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Registry restoration on a clean install

I would personally just re-install the programs, you don't know if anything is corrupt in the registry and if a program has settings in both the user hives and local machine hive, if it creates class keys etc.

Neemobeer, Nov 5, 2016
Thema:

Registry restoration on a clean install

1. Registry restoration on a clean install - Similar Threads - Registry restoration clean

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. Cleaning registry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cleaning registry: I recently had some problems with a software. It behaved very weird. I already tried uninstalling (with clean registry entries) and removed any files that I could find(and delete) related to that software. Didn’t work. Would running Ccleaner registry cleaner help? After...
  5. Cleaning registry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cleaning registry: Is there any native method to clean my system registry from my past installed programs ? Or, what kind of software should I used for this task, safely ? I am using Win10, 64bit, version 1909. 158568
  6. Registry Cleaning tools

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Cleaning tools: I have been a long time user of certain utilities that automate the general health status of the PC This includes such cleansing as unnecessary file removal - registry cleaning - bleaching of free space among others. Now I find that enhancement of such application may not...
  7. How to clean registry?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clean registry?: hi, I have a lot of leftovers from files I deleted or uninstalled, how do I clean it in registry? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clean-registry/d18cb75d-6e3e-4059-bf50-1c59e1588556"
  8. Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning: Hello, Recently when I ran Ccleaner to chk the registry, there were many 'Application paths Issues' from the downloads folder. These download items are not anymore in the downloads folder, some download items were deleted, some others were used such as videos, music,...
  9. Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning: Forgive me if this isn't the right thread to put this in. I have used CCleaner since Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. I am debating on installing it on Windows 10 right now but I've heard some things about Reg Cleaning. I was wondering if it really is bad to run reg cleaners and if so...
  10. Clean install vs refresh or restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install vs refresh or restore: Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the...