Windows 10: Registry tweaks from Win7 that no longer work in 10

Discus and support Registry tweaks from Win7 that no longer work in 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have somewhat automated installation process of Windows 7 that works really well, but parts of it don't work in Windows 10. I could use some help.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Octopuss, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Octopuss Win User

Registry tweaks from Win7 that no longer work in 10

I have somewhat automated installation process of Windows 7 that works really well, but parts of it don't work in Windows 10. I could use some help.
    Problem1:
    At some point during messing around with mounted installation image, I apply various reg tweaks, specifically new entries in the context menu of My Computer (This PC in Win10??).
    Well, that doesn't work at all in the new version. I can't even import that reg file, cmd yells out some error.
    Would anyone know what the correct registry hive and keys are?

This is how I have it for Win7:
    Code: ;My Computer context menu ;Add Services [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Services] "Icon"="filemgmt.dll,-236" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Services\command] @="mmc.exe /s services.msc" ;Add Registry Editor [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Registry Editor] "Icon"="regedit.exe" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Registry Editor\command] @="regedit.exe" ;Add Event viewer [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Event Viewer] "Icon"="eventvwr.exe" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Event viewer\command] @="eventvwr.exe" ;Adds Device Manager [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Device Manager] "Icon"="shell32.dll,-13" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Device Manager\command] @="mmc.exe /s devmgmt.msc" ;Adds Add/Remove to right click of MY Computer [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Add/Remove Programs] "Icon"="imageres.dll,-161" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Software\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Add/Remove Programs\command] @="control.exe appwiz.cpl"[/quote]

:)

Octopuss, Jun 10, 2018

2. Registry tweaks

Why?

Save a
    System Image Backup,

Set
    System Restore
    point

Backup the registry:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Then you have three separate backups you'll probably need.

If this is to improve performance, no registry tweaks will compare to having a good solid install like the one compiled in

Clean Install Windows 10.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in

Clean Install Windows 10

Short of that you can go over the
    Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community
    to make sure it's set up correctly, optimized for best performance and any needed repairs get done.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 10, 2018
  3. Ratandeep Win User
    Registry tweak for 'Folder' image

Hello Ric,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your time.

Apart from suggestions provided by Ramesh Srinivasan, please refer suggestions from
    AnmolKakkar replied on January 6, 2011.

Album art size - Windows Media Player 12

(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

Registry tweaks from Win7 that no longer work in 10

1. Registry tweaks from Win7 that no longer work in 10 - Similar Threads - Registry tweaks Win7

2. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience: Tweaking the registry is sometimes necessary to modify certain settings or configurations of a Windows operating system. The registry is a hierarchical database that stores various settings and options for Windows. It includes system configuration, device drivers, installed...
  3. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience: Tweaking the registry is sometimes necessary to modify certain settings or configurations of a Windows operating system. The registry is a hierarchical database that stores various settings and options for Windows. It includes system configuration, device drivers, installed...
  4. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot login to computer after registry tweak

Cannot login to computer after registry tweak: So I was originally intending to change my user folder; I first logged in with an alternative administrator account, renamed the account folder, and went to Windows + R -> netplwiz -> clicked on properties of my account -> changed it's name to the correct one. I then...
  6. Windows 10 Registry tweaks to improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Registry tweaks to improve Performance and Experience: [ATTACH]If you want to make your Windows 10 operating system work seamlessly then this […] This article Windows 10 Registry tweaks to improve Performance and Experience first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Camera stopped working after a bit of registry tweaks

Camera stopped working after a bit of registry tweaks: So I installed windows 10 a few hours ago using media creation tool. I checked online for windows optimization videos and there were many scripts and registry tweaks , but since iI rebooted after doing that stuff , my camera app just stucks at the logo and if I try it in safe...
  8. Tweak Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tweak Windows 10: Hi All! I want to tweak my Windows 10 Dsiplay like this https://technastic.com/2-best-macos-like-docks-for-windows-10/ Is what I'm doing breaking the rules of Microsoft?...
  9. Windows 10 registry tweak to make all tiles small

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 registry tweak to make all tiles small: Hello, I would like to resize all my Windows 10 tiles to "small," and right-clicking them one by one is tedious. Is there a registry setting that could be changed in order to: (1) make all existing tiles small? or (2) default all new tiles to the small...
  10. Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 start menu search keywords no longer work in Windows 10?: I'm an IT Pro and been using Windows 10 for a while now but I just had to join this forum to ask at least this perhaps dumb question: In Windows 7 I used to be able to type into the start menu search field the word "close" and the first result was something like "change...