Windows 10: Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates

Discus and support Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Has anyone seen a hacked version of gpedit.msc that has consistently maintained the ability to disable this feature across major W10 build updates? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ohante, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ohante Win User

Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates

Has anyone seen a hacked version of gpedit.msc that has consistently maintained the ability to disable this feature across major W10 build updates?

ohante, Apr 5, 2018
  2. ohante Win User

Windows 10 Home auto-rebooted my system after installing updates while it was unattended and running scheduled tasks. This is annoying and has happened several times. So I tracked down these registry tweaks I found on Google and forum searches, several being posts by TairikuOkami:

Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]
    I went ahead and created those 2 keys and 2 values manually in regedit. But I'm wondering what to expect to see happen the next time Windows updates. If I'm working in Windows when updates are downloaded, as I recall I get a notification that Windows updates have been installed and the system will reboot in x minutes along with options to delay reboot. Just what can I expect to see happen now that I'm made those registry tweaks?

I also see an option in 'Settings > Update & Security > Restart Options" labeled "Show more notifications" that states "We'll show a reminder when we're going to restart. If you want to see more notifications about restarting, turn this on." I've enabled this, but with update auto-reboot disabled in registry now I'm wondering what sorts of notifications to expect.

:)

ohante, Apr 11, 2018
  3. How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10

Follow the procedure here to disable auto logon (applies to both Win10 home & Win10 Pro):

Can I disable auto logon on windows 10 home

(it requires editing the registry thru Registry Editor but the reg hack was more effective in disabling auto logins in Win10)

erpmanila3w, Apr 11, 2018
  4. ghost1982 Win User

Is there a registry setting to keep mobile hotspot on

Hi I dont like the auto disconnect of the mobile hotspot feature is there a registry setting/ edit I can do? This issue is preventing me from updating to the current version of windows 10 home.

ghost1982, Apr 11, 2018
  5. TairikuOkami, Apr 12, 2018
  6. ohante Win User
    Real good to get your feedback on this TairikuOkami. On an older W10 Pro system I tested setting those options in gpedit, and then looking to try confirming the 2 values showed up at:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

But if the settings were written to registry, the values weren't written there. Perhaps I'm not understanding where settings in GPE are stored.. perhaps outside registry? But the experiment made me doubt those 2 registry tweaks would work in W10 Home.

I've seen gpedit.msc hacks for W10 Home in past years. Though they all seem to have issues, I thought I'd check to see if one might enable these 2 settings for me. Problem is as you pointed out with 1703, a gpedit hack that works now, might stop working in the next W10 build.

May just go with disabling WU and updating manually.

ohante, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates - Similar Threads - Registry tweaks prevent

2. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.: When I attempt to update WIN10 I receive 'Failed in 1st boot phase, sysprep_specialized" message. I seem to be stuck on WIN10 20H1. How can I fix this problem?...
  3. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.: When I attempt to update WIN10 I receive 'Failed in 1st boot phase, sysprep_specialized" message. I seem to be stuck on WIN10 20H1. How can I fix this problem?...
  4. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot login to computer after registry tweak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot login to computer after registry tweak: So I was originally intending to change my user folder; I first logged in with an alternative administrator account, renamed the account folder, and went to Windows + R -> netplwiz -> clicked on properties of my account -> changed it's name to the correct one. I then...
  6. Camera stopped working after a bit of registry tweaks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Camera stopped working after a bit of registry tweaks: So I installed windows 10 a few hours ago using media creation tool. I checked online for windows optimization videos and there were many scripts and registry tweaks , but since iI rebooted after doing that stuff , my camera app just stucks at the logo and if I try it in safe...
  7. Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?: I am completely exhausted from MONTHS trying to install 1803 on this m32cd with SSD @ 1709 On several other pc's 1803 went on with little trouble. I just want to permanently kill WU, but it happily resets itself. At this point, my attitude toward Windows, is rock-bottom...
  8. Prevent Windows Update after reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prevent Windows Update after reboot: Hello folks! *Biggrin I had some issue with Windows, connection related, and then I resolved the problem after refreshing Windows leaving my data, my apps are deleted. So now the thing is I had to install all the apps again. After installing PowerIso, it asked me to...
  9. A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.

A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.: Windows rebooted my PC again the other day, without warning, while I was using it. This is the 3rd time it has done this since "upgrading" to Windows 10. I've tried every possible work-around I can find, but MS keeps "fixing" them so they don't work. I don't have Windows Pro,...
  10. Preventing Auto Updates

Preventing Auto Updates: I'm having startup issues with a Windows 10 Build: Cumulative update for Windows 10 ver. 1511 KB3192444. (I hope I copied it correctly). Before this update is installed the problem doesn't exist, after it's installed it does. I posted this issue here but have not gotten...