Windows 10: Regular, inconsistent crashes with occasional BSOD

Discus and support Regular, inconsistent crashes with occasional BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC regularly crashes. Usually with no notice it just freezes and never recovers, but occasionally it results in a Dpc_Watchdog_violation BSOD which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ma0sm, Nov 7, 2015.

1. ma0sm Win User

Regular, inconsistent crashes with occasional BSOD

My PC regularly crashes. Usually with no notice it just freezes and never recovers, but occasionally it results in a Dpc_Watchdog_violation BSOD which in some cases it even manages to successfully reboot from.

The only pattern I can note is that the more stress the system is under, the more likely it is to crash. The fan speed usually correlates with the likelihood of a crash, but there have also been numerous occasions where it crashes with no warning or pattern.

It used to happen a lot back when I had Windows 7 on this machine, but after a fresh install of 8.1 it became a very rare thing to happen. However, since I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, it happens multiple times a day.

Other than an SSD for the O/S and replacement HDDs, the machine is as it was when bought, an Acer Aspire M3300.

Because of that brief period where it worked fine with Windows 8.1, I suspect it's driver related, but I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert. The graphics drivers for the graphics card aren't supported on Windows 10 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4350), but other searches suggest it works fine regardless.

Any help or advice hugely appreciated. My apologies if I've gotten anything wrong, I've tried to follow the rules for these posts as closely as possible.

:)

ma0sm, Nov 7, 2015
  2. Alan Ryan Win User

Blue Screen crash Stop Code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting occasional BSOD crashes. They seem to be becoming more regular, almost one a day.

The blue screen shows Stop Code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

Here is a link to today's minidump file: 032518-8140-01.dmp

Also, the "Get Help" application doesn't seem to work. Doesn't get past "Choose activity" or whatever it was.

Alan Ryan, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Jake_800 Win User
    Regular BSOD crashes

I guess I should update this. I'm not 100% sure how, but I think I fixed this, so I'll just list what I did in chronological order.

Reformatted HDD - Still Crashed

Removed one stick of RAM - Still Crashed

Swapped that RAM with the one I removed - Stopped Crashing

Installed Firefox - Started Crashing again

Uninstalled Firefox - Stopped Crashing

So, I guess it was somehow related to Firefox? It's been about a week with no crashes.

Jake_800, Nov 7, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi ma0sm,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Please update your BIOS from Acer to start with.
    The 0x133(DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION) is caused a lot by BIOS problems.

Let me know how it goes *Smile

axe0, Nov 9, 2015
  5. ma0sm Win User
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!

ma0sm, Nov 10, 2015
  6. ma0sm Win User
    I think you might have solved it. Been running like a dream all day since I upgraded the BIOS. Such a simple thing, but just needed a prompt to get it done. Thanks so much for your help!

ma0sm, Nov 14, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    You're welcome *Smile
    Please mark this thread solved if your issue is solves.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Regular, inconsistent crashes with occasional BSOD - Similar Threads - Regular inconsistent crashes

2. Intermittent and inconsistent crashing, no BSOD displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent and inconsistent crashing, no BSOD displaying: Hi, I am experiencing intermittent crashing. Sometimes it happens immediately on startup, a few seconds after Windows loads. When it crashes, it tends to continue to crash repeatedly on restart. Inexplicably after many restarts, it sometimes loads and runs just fine for...
  3. Intermittent and inconsistent crashing, no BSOD displaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent and inconsistent crashing, no BSOD displaying: Hi, I am experiencing intermittent crashing. Sometimes it happens immediately on startup, a few seconds after Windows loads. When it crashes, it tends to continue to crash repeatedly on restart. Inexplicably after many restarts, it sometimes loads and runs just fine for...
  4. Regular, Different, BSOD Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regular, Different, BSOD Crashes: I have a desktop PC running Windows 11version 2009, build 22631 x64. the hardware is a Tomahawk B450 Max motherboard, AMD Ryzen 3600 processor and 500 GByte M2 SSD, one other M2 SSD on a PCI adapter and 2 SATA SSDs. The GPU is an NVIDIA 1660. Over the past few months I have...
  5. Regular application crashes and BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regular application crashes and BSODs: I am currently experiencing regular crashes of different applications on my machine. Most prominent are crashes of jvm applications which are always caused by anEXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0xc0000005When proceeding to restart those applications then my OS will eventially crash...
  6. Regular application crashes and BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regular application crashes and BSODs: I am currently experiencing regular crashes of different applications on my machine. Most prominent are crashes of jvm applications which are always caused by anEXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0xc0000005When proceeding to restart those applications then my OS will eventially crash...
  7. Regular application crashes and BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Occasional BSOD or crash

Occasional BSOD or crash: I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 PC over the last several weeks. Approximately twice a week, it will crash, sometimes giving a BSOD, sometimes not. Other than those occasional crashes, everything is fine as far as I can tell. I've been trying to pinpoint the...
  9. Crashes to Desktop and Occasional BSOD

Crashes to Desktop and Occasional BSOD: Hi everyone, Just built a new pc and have been having all my games crash to the desktop, and occasionally getting a BSOD. Attached are the memory dumps from the bsods. 2 errors are: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by hidusb.sys DRIVER_RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused...
  10. Regular BSOD for seemingly different, inconsistent and non-reproducible reasons

Regular BSOD for seemingly different, inconsistent and non-reproducible reasons: I have a custom PC that I built in Nov 2017, and it has given me a BSOD fairly regularly ever since. It usually happens once every 2 or 3 days. I have not used this computer very often yet but I will need to rely on it staying up soon. I use it for VFX work and it is common...