Windows 10: Reinstall/Activation

Discus and support Reinstall/Activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before i say "Go for it", did you try to reboot in "safe mode"? Can you safe any data he has downloaded previously? Did you try to find any thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Norbanvs, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Norbanvs Win User

Reinstall/Activation

Before i say "Go for it", did you try to reboot in "safe mode"? Can you safe any data he has downloaded previously?
    Did you try to find any thread here with a similar situation like yours?
    If you try all that i ask, and if you are sure that it will work, then nothing is better than helping a good friend.
    So GO FOR IT! *Biggrin

:)

Norbanvs, Aug 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 reinstall activation

new hard drive only and yes it had pro the other had home. it is really frustrating

james fox acgs, Aug 30, 2017
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    Windows 10 activation of reinstall

Also notice that the compute name is different in the two pictures this might be where the issue is coming from.

JoeNamco, Aug 30, 2017
  4. werby Win User

Reinstall/Activation

werby, Aug 30, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    32 or 64 bit does not matter regarding activation of a clean install because the same product key (license) will activate both 32 and 64 bit installs. If the same version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro, in this case Home) is reinstalled on the same computer - click the link for "I don't have a product key" if it asks for a product key. Then select Windows 10 Home on the next screen. After installation, when the computer connects to the internet it will retrieve the digital license for Windows 10 for that computer that is stored at Microsoft and reactivate itself.

Now - if there is data saved on the computer that the user wants to access again, it might be possible to shrink the existing Windows 10 partition to make room for a new Windows 10 partition and install Windows 10 cleanly to the new partition, and then still have access to the data on the old partition. Once all the data is copied over, the old partition can be deleted and the new partition expanded to fill the empty space.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2017
  6. I don't think language is an issue either. My MSDN keys are not tied to any one language. Just the Edition, Home , Pro etc. I could install English US, English UK, Even French if I want to. I can't speak it but I could install it and activate just fine.

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I bet the French Cortana lady sounds wonderful *Smile.

cereberus, Aug 30, 2017
  8. Reinstall/Activation

Likely so. Not a lot of French speaking people in this part of Canada. You hear Gaelic every now and then. Wonderful sounding language. I don't think that's an available language pack though?

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    It can be if a Single Language version of Home was originally on the OP's system. As far as I am aware, a digital licence for an activated Home (Single Language) edition in not valid for Home (or vice versa).

10. Yes, that is true. Home Single language is technically a separate edition. So, regular Home Keys will not work with it, just like Pro keys won't work with it either. I do believe you can change the installed language though and still use your SL key. Install French instead of English for example. I'm pretty sure it requires a reinstall to do it though. That's probably the one Edition I have never ever installed. I can't get keys for it VIA MSDN. K, N and S and everything else is available, just no Home SL.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reinstall/Activation

1. Reinstall/Activation - Similar Threads - Reinstall Activation

2. I have reinstalled windows but did't check what email my windows activation was linked to

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have reinstalled windows but did't check what email my windows activation was linked to: I probably made it for that dumb menu you cannot skip when your connected to the internet while installing windows.So now i have no idea what email that was and that was like 3-4 years ago and never bothered to check what email it was.What can i do now?...
  3. Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008: I recently bought a new mini-PC with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed on an OEM license. Unfortunately I accidentally wiped the hard drive. I have now reinstalled windows using USB boot version, but when I try to activate Windows I get the following message.We can't activate...
  4. Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation - cannot activate after clear reinstall 0xC004C008: I recently bought a new mini-PC with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed on an OEM license. Unfortunately I accidentally wiped the hard drive. I have now reinstalled windows using USB boot version, but when I try to activate Windows I get the following message.We can't activate...
  5. Win 11 pro not activating after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 pro not activating after reinstallation: Hello,My system was running win 11 pro OS. After re-installation the OS is not upgrading to Pro from home. The system originally was shipped with win 10 home OS, later upgraded to Win 10 Pro.On entering the license key the error saying"It looks like the hardware on the device...
  6. Win 11 pro not activating after reinstallation

Win 11 pro not activating after reinstallation: Hello,My system was running win 11 pro OS. After re-installation the OS is not upgrading to Pro from home. The system originally was shipped with win 10 home OS, later upgraded to Win 10 Pro.On entering the license key the error saying"It looks like the hardware on the device...
  7. windows activation gone after windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows activation gone after windows reinstall: Hi everyone. I just now reinstalled windows and even though everywhere online it was said i wouldn't lose my activation, i did lose my activation. When i open the troubleshooter and look at paired devices, i don't even see my old Windows install on the list! even with show...
  8. windows activation gone after windows reinstall

windows activation gone after windows reinstall: Hi everyone. I just now reinstalled windows and even though everywhere online it was said i wouldn't lose my activation, i did lose my activation. When i open the troubleshooter and look at paired devices, i don't even see my old Windows install on the list! even with show...
  9. Reinstall windows and activate?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall windows and activate?: Hi, I've bought a laptop a few years back. It had win 7/8 or something installed on it. Can't remember exactly. But I've never received a win dvd or activation code or anything. Now the windows is updated to win 11. Which I don't mind. But I've noticed that I'm having...
  10. Reinstall windows and activate?

Reinstall windows and activate?: Hi, I've bought a laptop a few years back. It had win 7/8 or something installed on it. Can't remember exactly. But I've never received a win dvd or activation code or anything. Now the windows is updated to win 11. Which I don't mind. But I've noticed that I'm having...