Windows 10: Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window.

Discus and support Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a 2nd Desktop above ThisPC access via the up arrow ( up one level ). I have reinstalled Windows 10 using a USB, that should be a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wintenforom6945, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window.

I have a 2nd Desktop above ThisPC access via the up arrow ( up one level ).

I have reinstalled Windows 10 using a USB, that should be a clean install, but the problem is still there - how?.
    Have i got the wrong end of the stick, or was the Windows structure always like this.

So i open ThisPC folder it looks correct - folders Docs, Music.... Disc Drives C: ... Opening the Desktop folder that is in ThisPC is fine, shows 1 file on my desktop - correct.

Click back to ThisPC - and at the top is an up arrow, the arrow that takes me up one level to a different Desktop,
    one that has folders in it.

O.K so i click the up arrow and it takes me up to a Window that is titled Desktop in the address bar.
    It has icons for
    Onedrive,
    a copy of my username folder from Users,
    ThisPC,
    Libraries,
    an external drive E: i plugged in,
    Network,
    Control Panel and
    R-Bin
    - whats going on ???

None of the above links and folders are in my desktop accessed through the ThisPC window.

So now in this 2nd Desktop ? i can open ThisPC icon and go up another level (up arrow) and repeat forever. Into ThisPC and then up arrow to the 2nd Desktop which contains a ThisPC icon and a copy of my username folder from Users.

Is the 2nd desktop ( which also contains myusername folder ( the one from Users folder )) a corruption of a secondary account.

Is this a bug in Windows itself - because this is a clean install via Media from a USB created by downloading the Media Creation Tool.

If Media Creation tool uses my system files to create the boot i can see if my registry is corrupt it would pass the corruption on, but as i understand it media creation tool uses a clean copy from Microsoft.

This is the 3rd reinstall and i have this other desktop above the ThisPC folder ?.

:)

wintenforom6945, Nov 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 Duplicate Documents Folder

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

Did you make any software changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Please be informed that the documents folder can be accessed by the following locations.

Desktop\<me>\Documents

ThisPC\Documents

Local Disk (C)\Users\<me>\Downloads\Documents

Libraries\Documents\Documents

However, as you mentioned the downloads folder has been moved/copied to the below location.

1. Desktop\<me>\Downloads\Documents

2. ThisPC\Downloads\Documents

You may delete the documents from the above 2 locations.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Nov 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 icon missing

Original Title[Windows 10]

Lenov Ultrabook keeps losing the Icons for Windows 10. Can see on Desktop documents & etc. but, windows icon & screen is gone 2nd time this has happened. Last I reinstalled windows 10 worked great for about two weeks.

SRHowardXD, Nov 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window.

Please confirm that when you did the clean install you booted your PC from your bootable USB disk, and deleted all existing windows partitions before the installation sequence began.

(Note that an EFI windows installation comprises 4 partitions)

Thanks!

dalchina, Nov 4, 2017
  5. Yes i did, i deleted all 4 partitions - do you think this is a problem ?. I dont know wether to start sorting out my settings and so on or to do a 2nd clean install.

6. Edwin New Member
    @wintenforom6945

If you collapse all trees in the Navigation Pane, you will see there are only two parent environments in File Explorer: Quick Access and Desktop.

Quick Access is virtual folder, or, a bookmarks bar if you will, to pin or access your frequently used files and folders;

The Desktop entity is the entire Explorer environment including OneDrive, Libraries, Control Panel plus whatever is in the user Desktop folder itself.

Desktop under This PC is the user Desktop folder.

Edwin, Nov 4, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 4, 2017
  8. Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window.

My file explorer collapsed has
    Quick Access
    One Drive
    This PC
    Network
    in that order. Desktop only appears in the navigation panel if i open This PC.

9. essenbe Win User
    If I am understanding you correctly, that is the way it should be.

essenbe, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    Even when you right click an empty spot in the Navigation Pane and choose "Show all folders", then collapse all possible trees?

Edwin, Nov 4, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 4, 2017
  12. When i do what you suggested i do indeed have
    Quick Access
    Desktop
    Thank you
    So the "Desktop" reached through This PC folder then click up arrow ( go up one level ) is simply a conceptual representation of the Global system.
    Well it was an interesting dead end for a while.
    What alarmed me is that
    this PC - up one level - to concept desktop adds a level to the drop down level menu - small downward arrowhead between forward right arrow and the address bar.
    I saw as i went This PC - up one level - then into This PC - up one level ... repeat x number of times - that the the drop down level menu indicator got longer and longer in the order of
    Desktop
    This PC
    Desktop
    This PC
    .... and so on, as lengthy as the number of times the loop, This PC, up one level, into this PC, up a level was repeated.
    I thought i had some serious registry corruption.
    Although i have had Win 10 for a couple of years - and really like it - i never got caught in this dilemma before, either i never went up a level from This PC or never thought anything was wrong. But all of a sudden yesterday i got a bug in my head about it, i thought this has goto be wrong when the drop down level indicator got to about 9 or 10 repeat levels.
    Wow - what a daft thing to get lost in.
    Thanks very much, i shall sort out my setting now.

13. Edwin New Member

Yup. If you Alt+↑ til you can go no further you will always end up at Desktop (Proper), the Base or Foundation folder.

(I never understood way they called it Desktop though, if anything, they should've named it My Computer!) *Wink

Edwin, Nov 4, 2017
  14. Or My Confusion.
    I still don't understand why, the Desktop i get to above This Pc folder has a This PC icon in it, but it also has icons for my E: and F: external drives, but both of those are encompassed in This PC, yet show separately as well. I think that's what got me in this loop.

15. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Nov 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 has 2 Desktops, the 2nd is above ThisPC Window. - Similar Threads - Reinstalled has Desktops

2. Windows 10 native notification has unclickable transparent area above notification.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 native notification has unclickable transparent area above notification.: Hello everybody, We notice that native win10 notification has transparent unclickable area above notification. E.g. youtube notification appears above skype - and area above notification is uncklicable. Kind regards! [ATTACH] The ticket is a clone of...
  3. BSODs after 2 reinstalls of Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs after 2 reinstalls of Windows 10: I am still getting BSODs after 2 reinstalls of Windows 10. The latest reinstall of Windows 10 was Friday afternoon and it has had 6 BSODs since then. Here is a link to the minidump files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApChbSaCEsoMlHSK8z5VVLnEziof?e=34TUHy Anyone know what is...
  4. Windows 10 native notification has unclickable transparent area above notification.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 native notification has unclickable transparent area above notification.: Hello everybody, We notice that native win10 notification has transparent unclickable area above notification. E.g. youtube notification appears above skype - and area above notification is uncklicable. Kind regards! [ATTACH]...
  5. Blank file in ThisPC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank file in ThisPC: [ATTACH] after creating a custom navigation pane folder path this blank white file is showing next to my C drive https://preview.redd.it/3nauoi6dt3l41.png?width=1479&format=png&auto=webp&s=2c6419d0c9dbfd5b979b9260c7fadd295eaf65ea...
  6. unable to reinstalation of windows 10 on hp desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to reinstalation of windows 10 on hp desktop.: Hallo Friends, 1. issue began with Login: system asked to write PIN for Outlook.com account. which Never Had. 2.consulted Miscrosoft Support. CLEARED ALL FILES. 3.Current status. it does recognize windows 10 from USB but cannot complete process. Need help to reinstall...
  7. Desktop icons disappeared with 2nd monitor, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons disappeared with 2nd monitor, Windows 10: I have read the many posts with similar issues, but none of the recommendations are working for me. I've checked the show icons option, auto arrange, all of that. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10. Yesterday I bought a new Dell monitor and attached it with a VGA cable....
  8. Reinstalling Windows (part 2)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstalling Windows (part 2): The reinstall disk starts installing Windows 10, but keeps crashing midway through. I have a feeling it has to do with the reason I'm reinstalling my Windows, but I'm not sure how to fix it. The reason I'm reinstalling a clean version of Windows is due to random crashing of...
  9. windows 10 has lost my 2nd monitor again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 has lost my 2nd monitor again: So got up today turned on my pc and I had no 2nd monitor. All cables connected and not moved over night. The pc is detecting my Samsung tv but its no longer in the "monitor" section on my device manager. Its now in the "digital media devices" section. When I look in the...
  10. Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready on Nov 2nd.

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready on Nov 2nd.: According to this news article Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready for consumers on November 2nd. Source: (WinBeta) http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-threshold-2-to-launch-november-2nd-for-consumers Update: I’m told Threshold 2 will not be launching...