Windows 10: Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10

Discus and support Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I kind of want to install Windows 10 pretty soon. The question is whether or not I will be able to continually reinstall windows 10 afterwards. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GilbertC06, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10

So I kind of want to install Windows 10 pretty soon. The question is whether or not I will be able to continually reinstall windows 10 afterwards. I'm upgrading from Windows 7 via the free update so I won't have a bootable disc so I'm wondering how I would reinstall Windows 10 in the future.

:)

GilbertC06, Dec 30, 2015

2. Reinstalling theFree upgrade version of Windows 10 pro after a new Hard Drive upgrade

I am considering adding a M.2, U.2, & mSATA Adapter PCI card to my X79 motherboard so I can take advantage of the new M.2 storage drives. I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 pro when it was offered, will I be able to reinstall Windows 10
    on the new M.2 drive or will I have to purchace a new licenced copy ?

Graham Neil Saunders, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Reinstalling theFree upgrade version of Windows 10 pro after a new Hard Drive upgrade

You can reinstall Windows 10 Pro and it will automatically reactivate.

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    In addition to post #2, the Microsoft activation servers store a "digital entitlement", so you can re-install and activate 10 on the same hardware for the "life of the device".

bobkn, Dec 30, 2015
  6. Ok, so I made a W10 USB using the aformentioned method. My question is if I to a clean install will it ask for a key, and where is that key.

GilbertC06, Jan 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    You are doing a clean install of Win 10 over your Win 7.
    If that is what you will be doing, then you will be asked for a product key.
    You can enter your Win 7 key and continue. Activation will be automatic after installation is completed.
    OR,
    If you see a SKIP option or a "I don't have a key" option, you can use that and continue > when installation is completed, you can then use your Win 7 key to activate.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  8. Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10

Just to confirm. If I use my W7 key it WILL install Windows 10?>

GilbertC06, Jan 6, 2016
  9. I purchased a key for W8 in 2012 and when I performed updated and upgrades all the way up to W10 pro. When i tried to use the update to 1511 it continually BDOD and reverted back to the old build. I download the latest iso on done a "soft" clean install i.e clicking on the set up exe. Everything worked fine but I then had an unactivated Win10 pro 1511 build. My Win 8 product ket which i used countless times in fresh installs DID not activate Win10 pro 1511 build. Contacted MS who said i would have to strart again reinstall Windows 8 then perform the upgrades ro Win 10, This would take days with the amount of KB,s that would need installed. I told MS this was not acceptable as prior to upgrading to 1511 i had a working fully activated Win 10 pro, they would not budge. I activated my Win 10 pro through other means which I cannot mention on here, All in all a joke of a carry on even for eligible customers who have legitimate product keys and are entitled to Win10 for free but the windows update procedure fails

Celticbhoy, Jan 6, 2016
  10. Its early and im in hospital(its the drugs) Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10 :)
    *Smile

Celticbhoy, Jan 6, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    When they keep changing policies all the time without clear explanations !!!

CountMike, Jan 6, 2016
  12. Seriously can't tell if the last 4 posts were spam or if there was a change in topic I was not aware of.

GilbertC06, Jan 6, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

Just a guy that jumped in.
    About #6, yes you can do clean install with your W7 key any time but free upgrade is limited in time until this July. If you install and activate before that on same MB, it will be remembered at MS and you'll be able to do clean install without entering registration even after that date.

CountMike, Jan 6, 2016
  14. Don't worry about it, posts 2 and 3 cover it nicely!

Run the in-place upgrade (I'm sure you keep getting prompted by Microsoft already...) and let it complete. Once completed, connect to the internet and make sure that Windows 10 has activated successfully. From this point on, whenever you choose to re-install Windows, 10, you won't need a product key, as (rightfully pointed out in the 3rd post in this topic) you now have a digital entitlement which Windows 10 should automatically find.

Windows 10 can be downloaded and a USB/DVD created using their Media Creation Tool (again, this has already mentioned, but I'll just recap it) at the following link (there's a link saying "Download Tool Now": Windows 10

EDIT: The link provided in the second post is actually much better than the one I've provided here, worth using that handy tutorial instead, kudos to whoever created that one...

joedaman633, Jan 6, 2016
  15. Windows update sucks thats why i had to try the upgrade from an ISO, which is classed as a clean install, wiping all previous product information. Microsofts solution of starting from scratch is blollocks and i had to hack the activation for the 1511 build. Ilegal yes i know but needs must.

Celticbhoy, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10 - Similar Threads - Reinstalling upgrade version

2. Upgrade to Version 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Version 10: I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Installation finished and all the little set-up questions began what region, language, etc.. It then informed me that "we're almost finished!" but needed to do a few more things. Nothing has happened since. The progress bar at the top...
  3. Upgrade to Version 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to Version 10: I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Installation finished and all the little set-up questions began what region, language, etc.. It then informed me that "we're almost finished!" but needed to do a few more things. Nothing has happened since. The progress bar at the top...
  4. Upgrade to Version 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reinstalling Win 10 - which version?

Reinstalling Win 10 - which version?: I installed Win 10 Pro v.1909 retail direct from Microsoft in April 2020. I've since updated as I've supposed to, so now I'm at the latest version. If I needed to reinstall Win 10 from bare metal, would I download the latest version using the Media Creation Tool, or use my...
  6. Upgrading versions of Windows 10

Upgrading versions of Windows 10: I recently inherited my sisters desktop pc when she passed away. I wanted to make sure all of her personal information was off the pc so I did a windows reset. Now I'm trying to reinstall games and programs that was on the pc and now it tells me that I'm running windows...
  7. WINDOWS 10 Version upgrade

WINDOWS 10 Version upgrade: if I run check for updates in windows 10 will it upgrade from win 10 version 18.03 to 19.03 Please answer for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-upgrade/2d42255f-0fd3-4eed-86e4-ae179fbc3d62
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 (Upgraded Version)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Windows 10 (Upgraded Version): I have a PC whose windows installation is now causing a number of issues. I want to do a clean software build. As I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 (which in turn was from 8), can I just install 8 and Windows Upgrade will do the rest? Thanks Phil...
  9. upgrade version windows 10

upgrade version windows 10: hello, how can i make latest upgrade for windows 10 ? i think with use disk or usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-version-windows-10/19004624-abb3-4fe1-8dd5-c3418b741108
  10. Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate that was upgraded from WinXP Pro. My SSD with the OS is glitching and failing. I think it needs to be replaced. This Time I am thinking about a RAID setup with 2 500MB SSD drives. I have ordered two of these disks from...