Windows 10: Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7

Discus and support Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A friend could not get the AU version to install on his laptop in Sept. He knee jerked and had Win7 clean reinstalled. I think he didn't double check... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rose W, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7

A friend could not get the AU version to install on his laptop in Sept. He knee jerked and had Win7 clean reinstalled. I think he didn't double check that Win7 needed to be activated so now his Win7 is not in full status. Somehow he cannot make the step to contact Microsoft. I have no idea what the issue is but now he reports that Win7 is not doing well.
    The current plan is to reinstall Win10 as a clean install via inserting a CD and using the setup.exe.
    I'm downloading the win10 iso and burning to a cd. I don't know if his system is a legacy or UEFI. Its an older laptop.
    I cannot count on his knowing how to get into the bios to change boot order to a usb so I figure using the cd setup.exe to get the Win10 install going will work.
    I cannot tell what exactly is in this iso as it downloads through Media Creation tool so I am assuming that the Oct/Nov updates will have to take place after the install.

I'm just double checking that this clean install via the CD will not need the Rufus boot disk.

:)

Rose W, Nov 21, 2016

2. Once I receive my free upgrade to Windows 10, will I be gettin a new CD-Key and a Win10 ISO file?

The offer is nice, but one big question remain on clear to me is that: Once I receive my free upgrade to Windows 10, will I be getting a new CD-Key and a Win10 ISO file?

Because after the 1 year upgrade period what will happen if my HDD goes bad and I want to reinstall Win10 on a new HDD or SSD?

I re-install win7 then ask to upgrade to win10 again?

orr

I found an ISO of Win10 and use my Win7 CD key to install it (if possible)?

or

else?

Ben 666 St-Pierre, Nov 21, 2016
  3. Jordan C. Win User
    windows 10 clean install, where to get product key

I believe you were supposed to upgrade to windows 10, then it would verify your win7 key and store it as a legit copy..Then you are supposed to do a clean install if you wanted. since you just installed from iso without upgrading. i say maybe try to reinstall
    win7 activate it, then wait for upgrade. then maybe you can clean install.

Jordan C., Nov 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I'm assuming that you realize Windows 10 won't fit on a CD, it needs a DVD. To make a DVD from the ISO file, if you are running Windows 10 all you have to do is right click on the ISO file and select Burn disc image. Then to do a clean install you have to boot the computer from the DVD, you can't just run setup.exe from it from within the OS - that will only do an upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  5. Rose W Win User
    Yes its a DVD. I also have Imageburn software that will burn an iso and create a setup.exe file.
    When I read the tutorials I did not see words that said ' you have to boot the computer from the DVD'
    So to do the boot from the DVD to do a clean install requires the Rufus info to be on the DVD along with the downloaded IS0
    Somehow I translated the install tutorial to have the choice of clean install once the iso is mounted.
    There is an emphasis on using the USB source versus similar step by step when using a disc(DVD)

Rose W, Nov 21, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, that is completely false. RUFUS is not required to make a Windows 10 bootable DVD.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstalling-Clean Install from CD iso-after a botched return to Win7 - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Clean Install

2. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  3. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  4. BSODs returned after clean Windows install..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs returned after clean Windows install..: 2 weeks ago my pc started having a lot of BSODs. Different ones. I reinstalled Windows and I had no BSODs for a week. Now they returned. Mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: ntoskrnl.exe and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: ntkrnlmp.exeI installed all the newest drivers via my motherboard...
  5. BSODs returned after clean Windows install..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs returned after clean Windows install..: 2 weeks ago my pc started having a lot of BSODs. Different ones. I reinstalled Windows and I had no BSODs for a week. Now they returned. Mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: ntoskrnl.exe and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: ntkrnlmp.exeI installed all the newest drivers via my motherboard...
  6. Audio CD's Not Recognized, Even After a Clean Format & Reinstall

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio CD's Not Recognized, Even After a Clean Format & Reinstall: Hello, everyone. I have a problem that I haven't been able to solve, regarding playing audio cd's on my computer. I've researched the problem, but I still haven't been able to solve it, so I'm seeking help with it. I'm running the most current version of Windows 10 (21H1), on...
  7. SFC returning multiple errors after new clean install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC returning multiple errors after new clean install: Version is 1909, build 18363.535. I did a clean install upgrade from Windows 7 on a desktop PC I built myself around 2012. Boot drive is a Samsung 500Gb SSD. There are other mechanical HDs on the system including 2 external HDs. SFC has been returning multiple errors. I run...
  8. after clean install from downloading iso files from websites

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    after clean install from downloading iso files from websites: I purchased my lenovo laptop which was of windows 10 pro version. Then I used pirated version of windows 10 education. now I downloaded iso files of windows 10 pro from websites and installed it. And I am now [ATTACH]stuck at the above shown pictures. I don't have the...
  9. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  10. Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.: I already upgraded to 10 but would like to do a clean install , it successfully activated . Thank you 16092