Windows 10: Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe

Discus and support Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since Windows 8.1 core OEM has the Sear.ch malware on it and I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key, I'm going to format the partition and reinstall. I have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wynona, May 18, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe

Since Windows 8.1 core OEM has the Sear.ch malware on it and I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key, I'm going to format the partition and reinstall. I have the flash drive ready with Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

At the same time I'm going to format the partition and reinstall Windows 10 Build 10074.

I'm assuming I should first install Windows 8.1 Pro and then install Windows 10, right?

Also, every time I've clean installed a new Windows build, I'm told I'm not doing it in the right order. Is there a fix for this?

:)

Wynona, May 18, 2015

2. Forced Boot Order

Hello, I have recently enconutered a problem with the latest windows update, that caused my dual boot not to boot properly. It loads windows all of the time, even after reinstallation of the dual boot. The dual boot was working before the update, and the
    only way that you can access the other Os is by manually switching to it with f12.

Also the second operating system does not appear on Msconfig.

So just to clarify, it loads the windows boot loader instead of the grub boot loader.

Specs

Toshiba Satellite

Windows 10 Home fully updated

Dual boot: Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 fully updated

Default grub bootloader

Default windows bootloader

Neoredstone, May 18, 2015
  3. Dual booting system?

Please always give the make and model of the computer and the edition of Windows 10 (likely Home). The question is whether the computer manufacturer has written Windows 7 drivers. If not, use a virtual machine.

The users forum on the manufacturer's website is a likely place for your question since others with your make and model may have done this.

Cbarnhorst, May 18, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Yup.. When I did my recent dual boot I installed Win8.1.. set up the partition for Win10 and did a clean install on that partition. Both of the partitions are on the same SSD.

Not a single issue.. for me at least
    HTH
    Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, May 18, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    Jeff, were you told you weren't doing it in the right order?

Wynona, May 18, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Whoa! You're gonna be a busy lady tonight! *Smile

Edwin, May 18, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Ah,, no. I did it that way and it just works. The default OS is the TP but with EasyBCD I can changer the order. EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

BunnyJ, May 18, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

I would have tried it today if my ISP's technician had shown up before 5:00 PM. He spent an hour on my network. *Sad What is funny is that all he had to do was unscrew the coax cable, touch the end of it to bleed off the static electricity and screw it back on! Blamed speed went from .21 to 14.24 Mbps! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

He had some things he was required to do before he even looked at my equipment, which took about 15 minutes, and then we spent the rest of the hour talking about Windows 10 and 8.1. *Smile

I would start the "do over" this evening, but Hubby is having a cataract removed tomorrow morning and we have to leave the house at 6:00 AM or so because of the rainy weather we're having. I don't like to drive in wet weather, but since he won't drive until both cataracts are gone, guess who gets to! Moi!

See y'all on the flip side of surgery . . .

Wynona, May 18, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    I don't think the order matters with W8 and W10.
    Previously, with W7 and W8, if you installed W8 first then W7, you would get the DOS looking boot menu instead of the 'Metro' looking one.
    The rest is just a matter of changing the default OS.

All the best tomorrow, Wynona.

Edwin, May 18, 2015
  10. Charlie Win User
    Wynona
    Glad to hear you treat your man so well. Same here my wife treats me like a king and I treat her like a dagone queen. Anyway try using Shawn Brinks tutorial and you won't go wrong. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html
    Good luck to ya *Biggrin

Charlie, May 18, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, guys!
    @BunnyJ, Thanks for the info. Since Windows 8.1 is an OEM, that may be why it's complaining. We'll see. *Smile
    @Edwin, I've had good luck with dual booting before, and then for awhile, it wouldn't work. Windows 10 seems to be ideal.
    @Charlie, I have the tutorials downloaded and both flash drives loaded, so it's a matter of installing tomorrow afternoon.

Wynona, May 18, 2015
  12. Wynona Win User
    I just thought of one more thing . . .

My hard drive has several small "partitions" with this or that on it. Since I won't need the OEM stuff any more, would it be a good idea to just go to bare metal and make it one large hard drive again, deleting all the stuff Windows has added? Once that's done, I'd format the hard drive, partition it and then install Windows in its own partition, allowing it to create whatever it wants to.

Am I thinking right?

Wynona, May 18, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

That's what I do, mind you, mine is strictly a Legacy BIOS with MBR Partition types.
    So many machines can be very different.

Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe [​IMG]

Edwin, May 18, 2015
  14. Charlie Win User
    Yep, I would boot Partition Wiz and delete and add it all back together then make a couple of partitions. Boot 8 and let it install on the 1st one. It should make the 300 mg system partition. Then do ten on the next one. Is that what you was thinkin?

Charlie, May 18, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Yup.

What's Partition Wiz, please?

Wynona, May 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe - Similar Threads - Reinstalling Dual Boot

2. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?: Hi Your advice please: I currently have a dual-boot system, and its HDD has 2 partitions, which are: GUIP/GPT one for W7 & the other for W10.The HDD is running hot, so I've decided to replace the W10 OS and put it onto a new SSD.And for now, I’ll leave W7 on the HDD, but I...
  3. Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10: I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question: I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems....
  4. Recover/reset/reinstall windows from Ubuntu dual boot system

Recover/reset/reinstall windows from Ubuntu dual boot system: Hi Somehow the windows is not starting. Always taking to the recovery options. I am on a dual booted system with Linux Ubutnu20.04. Please tell me how can I get the windows back without using any bootable USB. Because I tried and the USB got corrupted....
  5. reinstall win 10 dual boot system

reinstall win 10 dual boot system: I need to reinstall win 10 without deleting Ubuntu OS I do not know how to tell windows to overwrite only old win 10 partition and not entire hd Thank You 171641
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  8. Reinstalling windows from a dual booted system?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling windows from a dual booted system?: There is a button in windows settings that allows you to reset your windows? Will this affect my ubuntu partion in any way?? submitted by /u/Nicknotname2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hl63ed/reinstalling_windows_from_a_dual_booted_system/
  9. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  10. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...