Windows 10: Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk

Discus and support Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm working on an HP laptop whose Windows installation has been damaged following the user falling for the Microsoft scam. Having made several attempts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xlrtech, May 15, 2017.

1. Xlrtech Win User

Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk

I'm working on an HP laptop whose Windows installation has been damaged following the user falling for the Microsoft scam. Having made several attempts at repairing the damage without success, the obvious solution is to reinstall Windows.

And here's the problem: I have a Windows 10 boot disk on a USB stick; in order to get the BIOS to see it, I put the PC into legacy mode, then boot from the stick. On attempting to install on the appropriate partition, I get the message that Windows can't be installed there, as it's a GPT disk.

Since Windows was already installed there, what's the problem? Do I need a special version of the boot disk? A little research seems to suggest that I need to convert the disk to MBR; this seems counter-intuitive, since GPT is the more modern system, and the PC and its damaged Windows 10 installation were running satisfactorily prior to the damage occurring.

Any advice much appreciated.

:)

Xlrtech, May 15, 2017
  2. JC003 Win User

Windows (10) cannot be installed

W10 cannot be installed via clean installs on some types of HD. See quote from original post:

"... I cannot recall the exact error message while trying to install W10 (clean) except that it took exception to / desired one or the other i.e. EFI vs a GPT disk? ..."

Originally I did install W10 clean. But it became very unstable and froze at the next bios boot screen. Luckily I had two partitions - W7 and W10. I had a boot repair USB which allowed me to boot into W7. From there I tried many things - W8.1 would not
    upgrade to W10 because I believe it did not like the GPT partition.

I had to install W8.0 and this allowed me to upgrade to W10. This in now almost a clean install. But don't count on doing a clean install from an upgrade if you have a GPT partition!

John

JC003, May 15, 2017
  3. Wojtek_S Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the USB stick supplied with the full version of Windows 10 to install the system on a disk configured to use the GPT (rather than MBR) partition style.

I am asking because the guidelines from Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style stress that to install Windows on a UEFI disk, it is necessary to boot the setup medium in UEFI mode as well. However, the original
    USB stick seems to be using the MBR partition style. In any case I can't boot from it when the PC is configured to boot first from a "UEFI USB Key"; booting only succeeds when the firmware is set to boot first from a "USB Key". But then the installer converts
    the system disk to MBR even if it was previously set to use GPT.

Does this mean that in order to install the system on a GPT disk, I cannot use the original USB stick, but I need to download the Windows 10 ISO file and write it to another USB stick formatted using the GPT partition style?

Best regards,

Wojtek

Wojtek_S, May 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Your getting that as you set it to legacy mode. Have you got the latest iso with the latest version of windows no sense putting an old version on

Samuria, May 15, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    How did you make the USB flash drive? I'm willing to bet your answer is going to be, "With RUFUS"

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    Why are you enabling legacy mode? Have you tried using the boot menu (in UEFI mode)? Usually F12 at boot, you want to select the UEFI boot from USB.

Mystere, May 15, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The OP posted:
    I suspect the USB flash drive is formatted as NTFS which most computers will not boot from in UEFI mode and that it needs to be created again using FAT32.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Some older bioses do not boot from usb drives in EUFI mode.

So trick here is to use rufus with downloaded iso and select 'mbr partition scheme for UEFI'

This allows you to boot usb in legacy bios mode BUT installs Windows 10 in UEFI/GPT mode.

After installation, reset bios to UEFI mode.

cereberus, May 15, 2017
  9. sygnus21 Win User
    I'd be interested to know which chipsets those BIOS's were on because I've not run into a UEFI BIOS (Gigabyte boards) that didn't run a USB drive. I'm going to assume if the BIOS is UEFI, it will run a USB stick. I'm also going to guess the laptop isn't so old that it wouldn't support a USB flash drive.

At any rate I'm with NavyLCDR on it being a format issue. On the other hand it could be a "secure boot" issue where secure boot "may" need to be disabled. I've never had to do this myself in reinstalling or upgrading my system, but some do recommend it be disabled for Windows installs...

sygnus21, May 16, 2017
  10. For HP, "F9" on power up allows selection of boot device. No changes needed to BIOS.

Comp Cmndo, May 16, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Never ASSUME anything. If you get it wrong, it can make an ASS of U and Me.

What I stated is true on some older pcs as they did not all implement the UEFI standard properly. I had a Sony where that was the case.

Anyway, if OP uses Rufus and selects "mbr partition for UEFI install", that works on any UEFI pc that can legacy boot as well.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    Given your statement, I'd ask what "older pcs" didn't implement UEFI properly? Perhaps a definitive answer would help the OP, seeing they may have such a PC?

Oh, and If you're going to caution me on assuming, than I'm going to caution you on guesswork as fact.

Peace *Cool

sygnus21, May 17, 2017
  13. Xlrtech Win User

Thanks guys for replies so far. Update: Downloaded Windows 10 ISO, Created USB stick (FAT32) with Rufus, selected "mbr partition scheme for UEFI". Attempted to install on Windows partition. Same result as before - can't install on GPT partition. This was with BIOS set to legacy mode. Tried again with BIOS set to UEFI mode, no USB boot option available. So - no further forward.

Any more suggestions?

Xlrtech, May 17, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    I am really puzzled why that did not work - is your iso 32bit?

This will work - install from hard disk instead.

Look at this tutorial:

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

In post 1, go to section

How to add Recovery Media as Bootable Option

and follow instructions.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  15. sygnus21 Win User
    Suggest you follow NavyLCDR suggestions in leaving Rufus alone and keeping things simple...

It would also help to know the PC specs - motherboard? If Laptop, specific model? This would eliminate the guesswork as to whether the PC supports "booting from a USB stick".

Thanks.

sygnus21, May 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk - Similar Threads - Reinstalling W10 GPT

2. Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data: Hi, how do i convert dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data? I know you can do it via disk management, but for me its greyed out. I have 4tb one and i think why its greyed out is bc it will try to convert it to basic mbr disk (which supports only up to 2tb)...
  3. GPT external USB disk Boot issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT external USB disk Boot issues.: Hello, how do I remove the "boot Flag" or whatever GPT uses to see a drive as bookable disk? Note: windows 10 pro for workstation 2004 on AMD Ryzen 3800 xt (X370 chipset) MSI x370 krait gaming. thanks, Nathan Saunders 164263
  4. MBR to GPT conversion for boot disk - failing

MBR to GPT conversion for boot disk - failing: Hello Ive recently purchased a 16Gb optane memory module for my PC. Unfortunately to get it to run for me I need all my drives converting to GPT. This was straight forward for my 500Gb data drive however it has proven to be more difficult for my boot drive. As my current...
  5. No boot disk found after converting disk to GPT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No boot disk found after converting disk to GPT: Converted the disk 0 after deleting all logical partitions on a Dell with UEFI ROM to GPT from MBR which has legacy mounted window 10 pro. After changing Bios from Legacy to Uefi without secure mode, 'No bootable Disk found error message popped. Is there anyway to change...
  6. Add Macrium reflect to W10 boot menu - all disks GPT

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Add Macrium reflect to W10 boot menu - all disks GPT: Any way to make this work? I have 3 drives in my PC, 1 SSD and 2 HDD, all are setup as GPT. I carved out a 2GB FAT32 Q: partition from the end of my large D: partition to put the Macrium Rescue ISO file in. I was going to mark it as active then add it to my boot menu....
  7. GPT disks

GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  8. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  9. Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT: I want to convert a 1.5TB MBR disk to a GPT disk. My other two disks are GPT so I'd like them all to be. No special reason, just because. When I tried mbr2gpt /validate /disk:2 I get ERROR: MBR2GPT can only be used from the Windows Preinstallation Environment. Use...
  10. Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt: For some reason my W10 System Disk (SSD) is set up as an MBR Disk. My separate Data disk (HDD) is GPT. I know how to convert the System Disk to GPT using Minitools Partition Wizard. If I do that to the SSD will I loose the W10 installation? And is there any advantage to doing...