Windows 10: reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake

Discus and support reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi all Was posting over in the windows 10 apps issue as I was having problems with the xbox and store apps. I decided to reinstall after doing some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johny3, Jan 29, 2016.

1. johny3 Win User

reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake

hi all
    Was posting over in the windows 10 apps issue as I was having problems with the xbox and store apps. I decided to reinstall after doing some reading.
    This was a windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 ultimate.
    I went thru the reinstallation process and got to the login at windows. It kept asking to login with the same password previously used, which was interesting since I had elected to not keep any prior settings. The problem is that I had been logging in with fingerprint so no password would work.
    I think this is where I made a mistake. I decided to attempt to go back to the installation process again. I know, not wise now that I think about it. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea.
    So I went to boot off of my windows 10 installation usb drive as before. Now I cannot get anywhere past the reinstallation process.
    I cannot see the drives anymore to boot back into windows despite not redoing the installation a second time. It will not install on any of the drives listed.
    Any thoughts?
    The problem may be because I did not disable secure boot, the tutorial on windows.com I followed did not mention it or I failed to see it.

Would I be better off reinstalling windows 7 again then windows 10?
    Anyway, any help would be appreciated to fix this mess I got myself into. I can easily upload pictures as well.
    thank you.

Of note, I have two drives - SSD had windows, bigger 1tb drive had most other things.

:)

johny3, Jan 29, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 free upgrade

I think the mistake you made was in reinstalling Windows 7 and then upgrading from there. Why didn't you just do a clean install of Windows 10?

JimWynne, Jan 29, 2016
  3. I made a mistake I upgrade to windows 10

I admit its my fault it was a dumb mistake.

I just lost 3.5 g of ebooks from a backup because win 10 froze a nice 2 monitor white screen for 45 minutes and no way to recover. had a nice mouse pointer i could move that was it. so had ot hard power down.

and yes it destroyed the files on the source of the backup an external 2tb HD.

I should have used linux to put **** back but i didn't my bad

yesterday I had windows 10 running for 6 hours like a Swiss watch then the above oops.

its reset all my settings.

this morning my time was 9 hours off and set to auto.

its lost all my customization setting.

so I admit its my fault at this stage I can NOT trust windows 10 at all. and who do I have to blame ms? Nope I knew better. I damn well should. I had backed up 1.5 TB before that. first time I lost stuff copying from a source in a oops I admit that's a new
    one in windows 10.

as god as my witness if I didn't want to spend a month trying to tweak my main desktop to support every game I like and virtual box them all there would NOT be on trace of ms product in my house.

me? lets see was an operations manager for microsoft before I had to take medical leave, windows 8 windows 7 certified trainer. (hey got to pay for sandwiches right?reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake ;)

in real life reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake ;) linux nut and been working with pc's software and hardware for more then 35 years.

right now windows 10 seems okay for light every day usage? check email. watch YouTube. maybe read the news but for a power pc user. dear gawd its like trying to build a house on a foundation of jello. It no worky stable. if this is a production release who
    did your Q&A? north korea?

RobertCCorkum, Jan 29, 2016
  4. johny3 Win User

ok ok
    I figured out how to get back to windows, I had to turn of the UIFI (or whatever it is).

Now the question is, how do I sign back into my account given the last sign in was with fingerprint? I do not have wifi access, need to install drivers.
    going to try ethernet

johny3, Jan 29, 2016
  5. johny3 Win User
    ethernet worked I am in....will post if I have any other issues.
    whew

johny3, Jan 29, 2016
  6. johny3 Win User
    solved. sorry for the quick post and fix.... needed it for work tomorrow and got nervous.

johny3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. reinstalling windows 10 after upgrade - think I made a mistake - Similar Threads - reinstalling upgrade made

2. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  3. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  4. Made a mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  5. Made a mistake

Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  6. I made a real mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I made a real mistake: My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 I made a real mistake I decided to try windows 11 I wanted to do a dual boot but when I got done. I realized I screwed up and I went to windows 11 I don't really like it. With Windows 10 when you right click: copy paste new...
  7. I made a real mistake

I made a real mistake: My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 I made a real mistake I decided to try windows 11 I wanted to do a dual boot but when I got done. I realized I screwed up and I went to windows 11 I don't really like it. With Windows 10 when you right click: copy paste new...
  8. I made a real mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. i think upgrade is a mistake

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i think upgrade is a mistake: So i've using older version of windows 10 Pro (maybe about 2017-2018 build) last week,before i upgrade (clean-reinstall),all things works fine. the reason for me to update is to see GPU Utilization only on 1709 ,but i think newer windows version was better (1903). but...
  10. I made a big mistake...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I made a big mistake...: A call from Wavene Infotech showed me 1,159 errors/attempted hacks and other "serious" breaches on my laptop / Window's 10. Sounding like a scam I hung up....he kept calling back. I eventually allowed him to show me a log illustrating all the incursions. Long story short I...