Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 without a licence key

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 without a licence key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 10 year old laptop which originally was running Windows Vista. Due to the manufacturer date of the laptop, I was entitled to the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kps-uk, Aug 9, 2018.

1. kps-uk Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 without a licence key

Hi,

I have a 10 year old laptop which originally was running Windows Vista. Due to the manufacturer date of the laptop, I was entitled to the free upgrade to Windows 7, which I kept until the roll-out of the Windows 10 upgrade. When my laptop upgraded to Windows 10, I did not pay for the upgrade and did not receive a licence key.

1. If I go to the Windows 10 download tool and select install with the 'keep Nothing during the upgrade' option, will I require a licence key?
    2. Can I build the laptop from scratch if it was originally a Visa machine or will I need to step from Vista to 8.1 to 10?

Regards

Keith

:)

kps-uk, Aug 9, 2018

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Aug 9, 2018
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Aquinus Win User

windows 10 key

You need to upgrade the first time around. Once you upgrade, you can use that key for a clean installation. I've done 2 clean installations with my Windows 7 key since I upgraded to 10 the first time around.

Aquinus, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 without a licence key - Similar Threads - Reinstalling without licence

2. Windows licence key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows licence key: Hi guys,I'm having problems activating my license on the PC. I changed motherboard and CPU, and the key that I have doesn't work because of the hardware change. can I do anything about it?...
  3. Windows licence key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows licence key: Hi guys,I'm having problems activating my license on the PC. I changed motherboard and CPU, and the key that I have doesn't work because of the hardware change. can I do anything about it?...
  4. Windows licence key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it still possible to install windows 10 on a new pc without licence key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it still possible to install windows 10 on a new pc without licence key?: Hi, I am putting together a new pc and from my research it seems that you can download windows 10, put it on a usb drive and install without activating the licence key. If so what are the restrictions, and is it possible/necessary to later buy the key and activate it?...
  6. How activate windows after reinstall without licence key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How activate windows after reinstall without licence key: My computer was reinstall but is windows is not active. Laptop is in my device list in my microsoft account. i do not have activate licence key, laptop was active from shop. Pls any idea?...
  7. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.: I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues. Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more. The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home. When i attempt...
  8. Transfer windows 10 licence key

Transfer windows 10 licence key: Is this possible to Transfer windows 10 licence key from one account to another. If yes, please tell how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-licence-key/7cd0ba6c-470e-407c-86c2-c89a392dd6e6"
  9. Windows 10 pro licence key

Windows 10 pro licence key: Hi all, I need help with activating Win 10. I'm trying to activate my Windows using product key I purchased for my old laptop that just died. I purchased new laptop and I'm trying to activate Windows 10 on my new laptop using my old key but I keep getting errors that says...
  10. windows 10 pro licence key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro licence key: I had a hp elitebook with windows 8 licenced and downloaded the windows 10 pro upgrade which was free and as i understand with this it becomes a digital licence. Now that laptop has gone to pasture and i bought another laptop and used the same windows 10 which i downloaded...