Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Back when When MS was offering free upgrade to 10 I upgraded this PC from 8.1 to 10 and kept it for about three weeks. I then went back to 8.1 because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by freedom77, Jun 23, 2017.

1. freedom77 Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10

Back when When MS was offering free upgrade to 10 I upgraded this PC from 8.1 to 10 and kept it for about three weeks. I then went back to 8.1 because it began to start having issues with a couple of my Apps.
    I would like to go back to Windows 10 because I'm thinking all the glitches may be out.
    Is there a simple way of going back to 10 or do I have to use a Disk or Flash Drive?
    Thank you!

:)

freedom77, Jun 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Jun 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Jun 23, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I've been happy with Windows 10 since beta testing and although I've had a few issues with it, none were show stoppers.

I would certainly recommend you try the latest version (Creator's Update) and see how you get on.

If your software still has issues, I would consider installing Windows 8 in vmware (or similar), that way you have the best of both worlds.

You could do an in place upgrade but to be sure of a problem free experience, my advice would be to do a clean install. Get the Media Creation Tool from here (second button) and create an ISO and then use Rufus to set up a bootable USB drive. Depending on your hardware, USB install is a lot quicker than optical media.

swarfega, Jun 23, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    I then went back to 8.1 because it began to start having issues with a couple of my Apps.
    I would like to go back to Windows 10 because I'm thinking all the glitches may be out.
    Is there a simple way of going back to 10

If there's a chance that you may not be happy with 10, the easiest way to test it, is to do an In Place Upgrade/Repair. This will give you the latest Windows 10, and you can elect to 'keep files' and opt out of 'check for updates' to speed up the install. Use below tutorial, Step 4 (after reading step 2) , downloading the ISO (from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 'Download tool now') to your desktop and run setup.exe. Will take you little over an hour after starting and give you a chance to rollback within 10 days after testing. Good Luck.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

mrgeek, Jun 23, 2017
  6. freedom77 Win User
    Last month I did order Windows 10 software to upgrade my wife's desktop (W7). I did receive it, but it was in the form of a USB flash drive, when I was expecting a disk. Her PC is now running just fine with 10. Would it be okay for me to use the same flash drive for my desktop? If the answer is yes is there a simple way of using this flash drive to install? When I did hers I had to go to Youtube to get assistance. Thank you! I do plan on being a long time member her once I get W10 installed.

freedom77, Jun 23, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can use that flash drive to upgrade your Windows 8.1. You just insert the flash drive with Windows 8.1 running. Then just run setup.exe from it.

The only issue with that is that it may not have the most recent version of Windows 10 on it - the Creator's Update. After you install the edition on the purchased flash drive, then you will just be waiting for Windows 10 to upgrade itself again to the Creator's Update. I would recommend @mrgeek's method of using the Microsoft Windows 10 download website to download the latest edition to upgrade to.

NavyLCDR, Jun 23, 2017
  8. freedom77 Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10

Yes, I am familiar with that. Last week I finally installed the latest to bring her up to date. I was not aware of this when I installed her software. It's all good now. Well let's go see if I can get 10 back on here. Talk with you soon...lol, if all goes well.

freedom77, Jun 23, 2017
  9. freedom77 Win User
    I want to thank you so much for the help. It may have taken four hours, but I was able to get Windows 10 installed and then installed Creators Update. Now I will start learning my way around. Thanks again!

freedom77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows 10

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reinstalling

2. Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10: I reinstalled Windows 10 because the Windows Updates kept failing and it would not recognize a USB device. After reinstallation, Windows Updates complete successfully and the USB device is recognized. But the computer is now crashing frequently all with different errors....
  3. windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver: Bluetooth not recognising discoverable devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-device-manager-does-not-show-bluetooth/1d706c57-9a39-421c-8619-a5257cd45bf5
  4. windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver: Bluetooth not recognising discoverable devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-device-manager-does-not-show-bluetooth/1d706c57-9a39-421c-8619-a5257cd45bf5
  5. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  6. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  7. I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?: I bought a computer in Japan I live here and had to reinstall Windows 11 to make the system show English since it came in Japanese, but now it seems many of my drivers - including graphics, audio, mousepad, and fingerprint reader drivers and, I`m willing to bet, many others -...
  8. I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?

I reinstalled Windows 11 to change the OS language, but now my drivers are gone?: I bought a computer in Japan I live here and had to reinstall Windows 11 to make the system show English since it came in Japanese, but now it seems many of my drivers - including graphics, audio, mousepad, and fingerprint reader drivers and, I`m willing to bet, many others -...
  9. How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?: How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall? I never had the option to connect to Facebook either. I wasnt able to join a clan that I was invited to becuz I always got the "Oh No Something Went Wrong" message then it would kick me from the...
  10. How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?

How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall?: How do I recover my Windows PC Angry Birds 2 progress after having to reinstall? I never had the option to connect to Facebook either. I wasnt able to join a clan that I was invited to becuz I always got the "Oh No Something Went Wrong" message then it would kick me from the...