Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows from a USB

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows from a USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Well, I'm doing this. I chose not to keep any files and so Windows proceeded to install but gave me no option to format C Dive. After installing, there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lostindigital, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

Well, I'm doing this. I chose not to keep any files and so Windows proceeded to install but gave me no option to format C Dive. After installing, there were a bunch of left over program folders on C Drive plus the Windows.old folder. Have I missed something. I thought a clean install was exactly that. But it appears not. So I'm doing it all again. So far, same result. Any comments? Thanks.

:)

lostindigital, Mar 13, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Activation after reinstalling Windows 10 from USB

Hamza,

1 Because your Windows 10 had previously been activated, when you boot from the installation USB and run the installation you will be asked once or twice to enter the product key but, instead, you should use the bypass options that are given in the dialogs
    concerned [I am reinstalling / I do not have one / Not yet / ... - the wording keeps changing].

2 When you finish installation open up Settings, Update & security, Activation so that you can watch its state change. Then go online and it will activate automatically without any product key being needed. This can take as little as a few seconds but
    can sometimes take longer - you can always force it to check activation by clicking on the button but I have never had to.

• This whole scheme is radically different to previous Windows versions where you needed to enter a product key.
    • Now, providing that it was activated originally, your computer just contacts the MS activation servers, finds the record of the previous activation and re-activates without any other action being needed.
    • This automatic re-activation procedure takes place despite changing some hardware such as disks but will not happen if you change the motherboard or CPU [except for retail licences held by those who bought Windows 10 separately, not pre-installed on
      their computers
      ].
    Denis

Tryx3, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Activation after reinstalling Windows 10 from USB

I want to reinstall windows 10 using the USB tool I have but my Windows is activated by the digital license provided by Microsoft so if I reinstall it using the USB then how I can activate it again as I do not have a product key.

HamzaFarooqi, Mar 13, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Reinstalling Windows from a USB

Are you booting to the USB or simply opening it and clicking the setup.exe?

Edwin, Mar 13, 2016
  5. HI Edwin,
    I opened the USB drive and clicked the setup.exe file. Windows then proceeded to install. It checked for updates, asked me what I wanted to keep, then started the installation process. It now says, Installing Windows 25% done. Copying files 65%.

lostindigital, Mar 13, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, you would need to boot to that Flash Drive to perform a 'clean install' in the proper sense. Ensure the usb is bootable.

Edwin, Mar 13, 2016
  7. If you boot from the install media and select custom install, you will have the option to delete any and all partitions. Delete the one Windows is currently installed too and there will be no leftovers. I usually delete them all (except my data partition) and install to the unallocated space. Windows will then create all the custom system partitions it needs automatically.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows from a USB

1. Reinstalling Windows from a USB - Similar Threads - Reinstalling USB

2. Can not find partitions when reinstalling windows from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not find partitions when reinstalling windows from USB: Hello :Can someone help me, So I tried following the guide and booted up from the USB with media on it. I clicked install and custom install and reached the window where I am supposed to see my partitions.... But its empty, or at least is now....when I first opened the window...
  3. Can not find partitions when reinstalling windows from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not find partitions when reinstalling windows from USB: Hello :Can someone help me, So I tried following the guide and booted up from the USB with media on it. I clicked install and custom install and reached the window where I am supposed to see my partitions.... But its empty, or at least is now....when I first opened the window...
  4. Can not find partitions when reinstalling windows from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  6. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  7. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...
  8. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?: My latest windows update got corrupted, leaving me unable to get past the login screen without bluescreening. At first I thought it was RAM Failure but my technician diagnosed it as an OS issue. Last time this happened on Windows 11, prompting me to reinstall on Windows...
  9. Does reinstalling windows from a USB Stick affect other connected drives?

10. I used the bootable usb drive to reinstall windows 11 two hours ago. Can I still use that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I used the bootable usb drive to reinstall windows 11 two hours ago. Can I still use that...: I prepared Windows 11 installation media in my USB flash drive using WindowsCreationTool and used it to reinstall windows 11 two hours ago. Can I still use the same flash drive to install Windows many times without creating new installation media in the USB flash drive?...