Windows 10: Remote access for Windows 10 Home Version

Discus and support Remote access for Windows 10 Home Version in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to have remote access to my desktop by my iPad Air2, IOS 9.2.1 & I would like to remote access my sister's laptop running Windows 10 home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mkj307, Jan 31, 2016.

1. mkj307 Win User

Remote access for Windows 10 Home Version

I would like to have remote access to my desktop by my iPad Air2, IOS 9.2.1 & I would like to remote access my sister's laptop running Windows 10 home version. I have wireless connection & she is wired if that makes any difference. The research I have done tells me I need the Pro version at $200 or I need to run a server. I have SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition in my program files that I can run. Will that server allow me to use Remote Desktop? I obviously know nothing about this so please do not be technical in your answers. Do you have any inexpensive suggestions? I would appreciate any help.

:)

mkj307, Jan 31, 2016
  2. LeePaik Win User

Windows 10 "Home" verson Remote Desktop capability.

You can use Teamviewer (Personal use id FREE).

However, I would like to voice together to Microsoft to provide Remote Desktop Server side (Remote Windows Access) on Windows 10 Home version since many of us upgraded from Window 7/8 Home/Premium to Windows 10 Home.

Lee

LeePaik, Jan 31, 2016
  3. Mark eR Win User
    Windows 10 "Home" verson Remote Desktop capability.

Remote Desktop worked fine on my Windows 7 Home PC.

It should also work on Windows 10 "home" version also.

If the next Windows 10 upgrade does not provide a "Remote Windows Access" application:

Does anyone know of another safe application that will provide "Remote Desktop Access" for my computer?

Thank you for your consideration.

Mark eR, Jan 31, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

Home editions of Windows (any version) cannot act as a host for Remote Desktop. SQL Server makes no difference.

You will need a third party solution.

LMiller7, Jan 31, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    That would be Teamviewer. This topic has been discussed so much about Teamviewer being the best option, that it has become a beaten horse.

bro67, Jan 31, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Another good option is splashtop. It is free over a lan, but does cost a modest amount annually for internet access.

Teamviewer (free version) is good but when you disconnect, it leaves an annoying splash screen on remote pc, which remote user has to click. Also, if you set up remote in full screen mode, it often drops out into windows mode when you connect/disconnect.

Splashtop is less intrusive and (IMO) has a better UI to control remote session. The app is portable as well ie you can just put main files on a usb stick and execute.

Personally, I believe the modest cost for internet use is worth it. However, Teamviewer also has file transfer capability so I use both. Actually with both you can do neat things eg connect computer A to B using splashtop, then connect B to C using Teamviewer.

cereberus, Jan 31, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Cereberus if Teamviewer is properly set up. There is no "Splash Screen" or any sign when you do a remote connection.

Who would pay a company for remote access, when Teamviewer for home users, is supported by those who are businesses, to allow everyone to use a program that is very secure, along with multi-platform capable.

Splashtop hooking home users with an up front bait, then charging them $17 per year for some extra features is the hook that a lot of users are not willing to pay for.

bro67, Jan 31, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

When I say splash screen,I meant the annoying pop up screen that says thank you for playing fair as you disconnect. I have never found a way of stopping that. If you know a way please enlighten me. I emailed Teamviewer and they said it was policy to show that screen.

As I said I find tbe splashtop ui. to be better and less intrusive. Matter of personal choice - each user can try it over lan which is free and decide if extra modest cost is worth it.

cereberus, Jan 31, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    I know what you are talking about. It can be set to not show any notifications when someone remotes in. If you set Teamviewer up properly like I stated before. No one is the wiser when you log in.

The screen will show on the computer being used to connect to remote machines, stating that you have disconnected, which is par for the course.

The CSR you spoke with is only a script reader. Highly doubtful that they have ever used it.

bro67, Feb 1, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I will double check the settings again.

Thanks.

cereberus, Feb 1, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    If it is the "Sponsored" screen, it is supposed to close after 30 sec's. See the post by "izogfif" on this link, for the auto script to close the disclaimer. Remove the popup

I am sure that you can use the script to run other items that need to be done also.

bro67, Feb 1, 2016
  12. Hydranix Win User
    Splashtop wasn't worth the money for me. It's desktop client is complete crap, though the mobile client is the best I've used. Far better than teamviewer.

Teamviewer is superior for desktop to desktop remoting, and remote support. Not so good connecting from a tablet though.

I got around splashtop's internet limitation by tunneling the ports it uses. You can also use a VPN to connect as if it were on the local network.

Hydranix, Feb 1, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

I figured the same with Splashtop after 30 sec's of reading their "We are like PC Matic." speech.

I can agree on the tablet/smartphone when using Teamviewer. Great if you are on the go and cannot get to a laptop or desktop and have a LTE capable tablet to go in and do things.

For the VPN part, it would depend if they have a router that is VPN capable. If they do not have one, there is always the Raspberry PI B 2nd Gen. that you can set up as a OpenVPN Server.

bro67, Feb 1, 2016
  14. mkj307 Win User
    Thank you all for your help. I decided to go with TeamViewer. It is easier to deal with than Chrome Remote Desktop. It works great. I can use my iPad to access my laptop & desktop. I use my laptop to access my sister's computer because of the bigger screen. It works just great for my needs. Thank you all again. Your help has been greatly appreciated.*Smile

mkj307, Feb 3, 2016
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there folks

Why not use a FREE Windows solution based on a superb Linux application

TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software

This WORKS on any edition of Windows and is FREE.

You can also download an Android app so you can also connect to your desktop too

(You might need to enable some port forwarding on your router if you connect from outside your Lan - same as standard RDP I think 5900 but it's all in the documentation).

Forget Teamviewer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Remote access for Windows 10 Home Version - Similar Threads - Remote access Home

2. Steps to access desktop home pc remotely?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps to access desktop home pc remotely?: I am trying to remote in to my home desktop pc from a new laptop. For some reason I can remote from pc to laptop with microsoft account login info with no issue. When I try to do the reverse -- access my desktop from laptop, I get an error message that says 'your credentials...
  3. Steps to access desktop home pc remotely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steps to access desktop home pc remotely?: I am trying to remote in to my home desktop pc from a new laptop. For some reason I can remote from pc to laptop with microsoft account login info with no issue. When I try to do the reverse -- access my desktop from laptop, I get an error message that says 'your credentials...
  4. Steps to access desktop home pc remotely?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Remote Desktop Redirection Bus Win 10 Home Version?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop Redirection Bus Win 10 Home Version?: HI - I have the Win 10 HOME Version. Which doesn't have remote desktop? I have never installed anything enabling remote desktop. Is it normal for the Remote Desktop Device Redirection Bus to be running on Win 10 Home? Even without the capability of using it? I disabled it...
  6. Remote access of home computers or cameras

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote access of home computers or cameras: For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing my “unattended” home cameras and computer by simply using my 12 digit WAN address and with an unique 4 digit appended port...
  7. Can a Windows Home version Remote Desktop into a Windows Pro?

Can a Windows Home version Remote Desktop into a Windows Pro?: Can a Windows Home version Remote Desktop into a Windows Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-windows-home-version-remote-desktop-into-a/a478c452-5132-492f-951f-5bd49ebccb57
  8. windows 10 home vs windows 10 pro regarding remote access feature

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 home vs windows 10 pro regarding remote access feature: Recently purchased a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop - both came with windows 10 home installed. Dell representative led us to believe that we could use the remote access feature with the just purchased computers. We can't. That is my first question - what is the REAL...
  9. remote in window 10 home

remote in window 10 home: does window remote in window 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-in-window-10-home/25cb60df-5e59-4728-836e-e9d5e1a96e51
  10. windows 10 remote access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 remote access: I regularly access two separate computers, both running Windows 7 Professional, using remote desktop. I am set to purchase a Windows 10 laptop and have gotten much conflicting advice as to whether I can successfully continue to access these computers from Windows 10. 57861

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remote access with window 10 home

2. remote access for windows 10 home version