Windows 10: Remote Deskstop Connection - Aborts all activity when close

Discus and support Remote Deskstop Connection - Aborts all activity when close in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I never had this problem on Windows 7. But when I remote to a Win 10 PC, start a process, let's say copying files, when I close the connection (via the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 56Kruiser, Jan 15, 2016.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Remote Deskstop Connection - Aborts all activity when close

I never had this problem on Windows 7. But when I remote to a Win 10 PC, start a process, let's say copying files, when I close the connection (via the X at the top...NOT disconnect from start menu), it closes the copy process.

Are there some new settings or something that I need to change to correct this?

:)

56Kruiser, Jan 15, 2016

2. how to force closing program when log off (remote desktop connection)

There are two ways to terminate a Remote Desktop session:

• By logging off. This will close all active applications.
    • By closing the session. All active applications will remain open. This is by design.
    If you wish to close an orphaned application then you can do it with a scheduled command that runs once every ten minutes. It would use one of these commands to determine if there was an active Remote Desktop session:

query session

query user

If no live session was present then it would use taskkill.exe to kill the unwanted application. Unsaved data would be lost.

Frederik Long, Jan 15, 2016
  3. How to turn off Windows update in Windows 10.

This is very disappointing as this bug (and this is a serious design bug where people should be fired) has cost me thousands of dollars in lost work as Windows 10 Home forces a reboot force closing all applications without saving work, severing remote server
    connections aborting commits leaving remote repositories in an indeterminate state and installs some unknown files. Sometimes, this can happen multiple times in a day.

This is unacceptable and it is NEVER once mentioned on the product page Windows 10 will eat all of your work at random time with no ability to defer updates. It is despicable a simple feature like this is:

1) NEVER once mentioned as missing on the product page.

2) Is even an option you have to pay for.

NOTE: I picked home because Pro offered me no features (based on the product page) I needed.

Steven

StevenNoyes, Jan 15, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

The highlighted part in the above quote is totally irrelevant. Whatever method you use to disconnect the remote connection, the connection between the remote client (computer you are using to connect to remote PC) and the remote host (computer you are connecting to) will be cut off.

Clicking the Close button top right in the remote session Window is one way to disconnect.

There's nothing to correct. If you were copying a file within the remote host, from one location on that machine to another location on that same machine, the copy process will continue even when you disconnect.

If you were copying a file from a remote client to a remote host or vice versa when disconnected, this process will naturally be aborted because the connection between the two machines will be lost.

5. 56Kruiser Win User
    That is new. I have done that many many times over years. That is one reason I use RDP, to start a copy process on the pc I'm RDPing to from another PC.

One of the pluses to RDP is to be able to kick off some transaction of some type 'on a different computer' from the one in front of you, close the RDP session and return later to see how the process is going. If the disconnect 'logs out', then that would be aborted, no matter what it is, it would seem to me.

However, one thing since posting that I noticed, is that it seems like (not sure this is the case) that it's not aborting what I had going on when I close the session, but when I connect again it is then closing the session and logging in again. I'll need to experiment some more.

56Kruiser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote Deskstop Connection - Aborts all activity when close - Similar Threads - Remote Deskstop Connection

2. Error : Logo in Deskstop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error : Logo in Deskstop: Help me . i can't insert image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-logo-in-deskstop/42a04820-853c-401b-b419-5f160b345191
  3. Error : Logo in Deskstop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error : Logo in Deskstop: Help me . i can't insert image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-logo-in-deskstop/42a04820-853c-401b-b419-5f160b345191
  4. Error : Logo in Deskstop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  6. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  7. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. WInSCP "Remote Side Unexpectedly closed network connection"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WInSCP "Remote Side Unexpectedly closed network connection": For a long time at my job we were able to connect to a bank using WinSCP. All of a sudden it stopped working. Whenever I try to use it it says "Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection" I can log in at my house though using the same set up and credentials. Any...
  9. Remote Desktop closed when any key is pressed on the remote PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop closed when any key is pressed on the remote PC: We have an application running on a remote PC that requires a NFC reader. We must keep remote access to the PC by Windows Remote Desktop, but the remote session concludes when someone uses the NFC reader. The NFC reader works as a keyboard, sending characters to the remote...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection closed immediately after connection established.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection closed immediately after connection established.: Hi, The Remote Desktop Connection app closed immediately after connection established every time, can anyone has the same issue or has any idea about how to fix it. 1) My laptop is running Windows 10 Home Pro. 2) The issue start about few weeks ago. 3) There is now any...