Windows 10: Remote Desktop Connection problems

Discus and support Remote Desktop Connection problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New thread. I did not want to clutter up the one I was in any more after being advised it was borderline hijack. My apologies. Problem I am facing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gand5000, Feb 17, 2016.

1. gand5000 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

New thread. I did not want to clutter up the one I was in any more after being advised it was borderline hijack. My apologies. Problem I am facing seems simple to me, but apparently is not:

I run a research facility at a university. I have 2 computers, 1 LAB desktop that has no ethernet connection to anything at all, besides the experimental instruments it is running, and one OFFICE laptop that is brand new (less than 1 week old and has nothing on it except Spotify for music). The laptop is my primary machine, and I want to be able to dump documents, Excel sheets and raw data files from the Lab computer onto my laptop in my office without connecting across networks under University control. Lab computer has 2 hardline network adapters and a USB wireless adapter that I just installed today. I am not interested in getting my lab computer on the internet whatsoever.

Jimbo suggested RDC because I do not need anything special or even . I cannot seem to make it work, probably because I am very rusty with Windows. Laptop has Win10 home edition and Lab computer has Win7 professional.

Can also set up a hosted network on my lab computer, not on my laptop because it does not support it for some reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

:)

gand5000, Feb 17, 2016
  2. C-Los85 Win User

Remote Desktop unable to Connect Windows 10

I have been using the remote desktop connection app on Windows 10 for the past 2 weeks with no problem. Today I am unable to connect to my remote device, but everyone in the office has not had a problem. I have not changed any settings. I receive this message,

"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1 remote access to the server is not enabled

2the remote computer is turned off

3 the remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled."

Can anyone help?

C-Los85, Feb 17, 2016
  3. remote desktop windows 10

I am trying to connect my laptop and main PC using remote desktop but windows 10 keeps saying 'remote desktop cannot connect to the remote computer' then lists 3 reasons. 1.remote access to server is not enabled 2.remote computer is turned off and 3.remote
    computer is not available on network. Both computers are on my own network, both on same workgroup. i have enabled remote connections. I can access both via file explorer and homegroup but still cannot get remote desktop connection. Any ideas what the problem
    might be?

bill_hughes, Feb 17, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

I had a simple idea how to do this, tested it both on a virtual machine and a real physical machine and it seems to be working. Do as listed here:
    1.)
    On your Windows 7 desktop, before starting be sure all network adapters are disconnected (not connected to your network) by disconnecting possible Ethernet cables and disconnecting wireless adapter if connected

2.) Decide which adapter you will use. In this example let's use your wireless USB adapter

3.) In Network Connections, right click the USB wireless adapter and select Properties:

Remote Desktop Connection problems [​IMG]

4.) Disable IPv6 (#1 in screenshot below), select IPv4 (#2) and click Properties:

5.) Set dummy Primary (Preferred) and Secondary (Alternative) DNS servers, for instance 223.255.255.255 and 222.255.255.255, select Validate settings upon exit and click OK:

6.) Validating should not find any issues because the adapter is disconnected. If you validate when the adapter is connected, you would get an error message telling Windows cannot reach the DNS servers

7.) Connect the wireless USB adapter, it has now network connection but no Internet connection

8.) Allow Remote Desktop connections on your Windows 7 Professional desktop, you can now use your Windows 10 Home laptop to remotely connect to it, or access it over the network for transferring data

5. gand5000 Win User
    Kari

Thank you very very much for the time and effort you took to answer! The steps were very easy to follow! However--I have still have a problem. I did as you suggested, no errors occurred upon validation. My computer can connect to the University wireless network, and can see all the other computers on the network in my corner of the building....EXCEPT my laptop.

Likewise my laptop can see all the same computers except my lab desktop.

Also, under system properties > remote settings > Remote Desktop > Select Users.... I click to select and add a user, but all I see is my desktop. I do not see any network locations. Having never used RDC before maybe I am making a rookie mistake, but I am a fast learner. I do not know why that should be happening here.

Also, in order to access the university wireless network I needed to authenticate my identity. I only have the one account name and password, so I used it (University netID). I am also logged in on my desktop to the same Wireless network with the same netID, so I wonder if that could be screwing things up? I am still able to cruise the internet on the laptop, as I am currently writing you from there.

Apologies for the late response, my birthday was last week and I took an extended time off work. Any ideas?

gand5000, Feb 22, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

Try the above, post back how it went.

7. gand5000 Win User
    Ok, not sure what happened, but after messing around a while I have gotten my lab desktop to show up and I can access the files! Thank you very very much! I can access from RDC and also now it shows up in the network places, so I don't have to do RDC at all. That is exactly what I wanted.

Only downside is although I managed to tweak what needed to be tweaked I don't remember what it is...so if things go SOL I won't know what to do hahaha. Thank you very much again

gand5000, Feb 22, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Good to know you got it working as you wanted to *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop Connection problems - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Connection

2. Remote desktop connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection problem: I am trying to use my pc1 by remote desktop connection in pc2. But after entering the IP address and credentials it shows like the below image. After connection, I can't see the sign-in prompt to enter into the pc1 via pc2. So kindly help....
  3. Remote desktop connection problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection problem: I am trying to use my pc1 by remote desktop connection in pc2. But after entering the IP address and credentials it shows like the below image. After connection, I can't see the sign-in prompt to enter into the pc1 via pc2. So kindly help....
  4. Remote desktop connection problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. remote desktop connection problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    remote desktop connection problems: I can't access the device from microsoft azure. this gives the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-connection-problems/6855c6b5-0e0f-4ff0-9808-aefc0b549792
  6. Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem: Hi, about 2 weeks ago the Microsoft Remote Desktop OS X and iPhone versions only return with a blue screen with text please wait when I try to connect to my workstation.If I restart the workstation I can connect to it again, but as soon I connect via an another Windows remote...
  7. Remote Desktop Connection - Mouse Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop Connection - Mouse Problem: Hey, I'm having a problem with the mouse on RDP via my laptop when it's connected to my personal PC. The problem is that when I enter a game or use a software called Source Filmmaker the mouse doesn't move properly, it point only to the top or to the bottom and flips around...
  8. Remote Desktop connection problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop connection problems: Hi all, I have a problem with connecting using Remote Desktop on my computers. Lets call them Desktop and Laptop. Desktop is running Win10 Pro. I want to connect to Desktop using Laptop, but my credentials keep failing. I am using the same Microsoft account on both computers,...
  9. Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem

Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem: Hi there, It happened many times, when I connect to RDC, the blue screen appears with "Please wait", then the blank screen appears. The blank screen will be there no matter how long I wait until I have to exit from RDC by the blue bar on top, try to re-entries many times...
  10. remote desktop connection problem ...

remote desktop connection problem ...: disconnect 1-2 min say "login another user" i have win 10 pro im change remote resvices session time limit and another method but not solved.... my englis is bad sory for this... 24493