Windows 10: Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU

Discus and support Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys. I have a strange issue that i couldnt solve by searching the web: after installing a replacement GPU, RDP now only connects to the home server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by subspacer, Jan 27, 2016.

1. subspacer Win User

Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU

Hi guys. I have a strange issue that i couldnt solve by searching the web: after installing a replacement GPU, RDP now only connects to the home server when i have "use all my monitors" enabled.

If i have it unticked the session will try to open on my second monitor - which is connected to the onboard GPU, unlike the first, which is connected to the discrete one - as usual, but blurt out a connection error after starting to render the remote desktop.

If i tick "use all my monitors" in RDP settings, a connection is made, but displayed on my main screen.

Can anyone help me solve this extremely annoying issue?

:)

subspacer, Jan 27, 2016
  2. CHEELEE Win User

Does remote desktop work on windows 10?

Does remote desktop work on windows 10? After update to windows 10, it stops working for me.

CHEELEE, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Final Build - Black screen after boot screen

I have Asus Notebook B43J with dual gpu. Intel and ATI. After installing win 10 i had same black screen issue after the final restart. All along during the installation process of restarting and setting up, the screen was ok. After the final boot it turned
    all black. I tried most stuff including remote connection and disabling fast boot nothing worked. The while fiddling in it's bios found one option for gpu as others or vista/win7.. It was on vista/win7 so i changed to others where by i believe it disables
    the intel gpu, the windows booted to win10.

My guess is that it's mostly related to having 2 gpus on board including desktops where there is intel gpu as well as discrete. My desktop system has only AMD so there is no issue with it.

I blame MS/INTEL for not providing proper driver support.

Turning fastboot on or off didn't do anything for my dual gpu setup only when I disabled it in bios did I solve my issue.

I pointed it out earlier in this thread as well hope this helps.

Sakattack500, Jan 27, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

Check the RDP resolution settings on YOUR CLIENT. The computer you are using to RDP to your remote computer might not be able to handle Max video output of the GPU on the remote computer. In any case going over a network it's probably better to reduce video transfer to 16 or 24 bit max.

Do it in the RDP connection settings.

Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 27, 2016
  5. subspacer Win User
    Im afraid not. I understand this, and the remote computer has the same resolution as the second monitor RDP usually works on. Manually setting the remote desktop size just shows the error message in a window on the second screen.

The only way to make it connect seems to be to tick "use all monitors", at which point it works but by extending the desktop from my first 1440p screen to the second...

subspacer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop stopped

2. Remote Desktop Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Stopped Working: I've used Remote Desktop between the same two computers for many years. Today it isn't working. I don't know if this is because I changed my virus protection to Norton or if it was due to a Windows update. If I am behind my home router - that is, on the same network using...
  3. Remote Desktop Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Stopped Working: I've used Remote Desktop between the same two computers for many years. Today it isn't working. I don't know if this is because I changed my virus protection to Norton or if it was due to a Windows update. If I am behind my home router - that is, on the same network using...
  4. Remote Desktop Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update: Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update. I can't connect to a users machine using RDP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-stop-working-after-windows-update/522e001f-e978-424b-aa42-471b04a3d835
  6. Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update: Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update. I can't connect to a users machine using RDP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-stop-working-after-windows-update/522e001f-e978-424b-aa42-471b04a3d835
  7. Remote Desktop Stop Working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Remote Desktop stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop stopped working: Remote Desktop stopped working suddenly, apparently after an update 1-14-21. I uninstalled it, re-downloaded from the store, restarted, and it still doesn't work. It keeps hanging at "Confguring remote PC..." I have Windows 10 Home, and had previously downloaded Remote...
  9. remote desktop stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    remote desktop stopped working: Windows 10 Pro machine at home, SBS Server 2012 (I think) at work. I have two remote desktop apps on my Windows 10 box, a Windows 10 themed newer app that has fewer features but a slicker interface, and an older version that allows me to transfer files. The latter I've been...
  10. Remote Desktop Stopped working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remote Desktop Stopped working: It used to work. I've changed nothing. Windows 10 computers. All of a sudden it gives a "Your credentials did not work" error. I've tried everything listed in these forums but nothing works. I'm trying to access my desktop over my lan with a a wireless laptop. I could do...