Windows 10: Remote to laptop not working

Discus and support Remote to laptop not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop is on WiFi. I can remote from it to a PC on that is on hard wire. But I cannot remote to the laptop from the PC. I checked and remote... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 56Kruiser, May 8, 2017.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Remote to laptop not working

My laptop is on WiFi. I can remote from it to a PC on that is on hard wire. But I cannot remote to the laptop from the PC.

I checked and remote control is turned on on the laptop. I tried turnng the firewall off to completely eliminate it from the scenario, but still cannot connect.

Any ideas?

:)

56Kruiser, May 8, 2017

2. Remote desktop

For years I have used remote desktop to remote in to my home desktop from my laptop. Last night, I suddenly started getting only a black screen after remoting in. At this point, my laptop can successfully remote in to husband's desktop (all of these
    connections are on our inhome network). Husband's laptop can remote in to both desktops. The only connection that won't work is my laptop to my desktop. How to fix? Not sure which Windows topic to put it under!

EllenReddick, May 8, 2017
  3. On my laptop (have it since about two month) with Windows 10, suddenly i cannot open the shortcuts, not even the Computer.

Dear Guru,

Thanks, had problems to perform.

The report told -problems probably connected to Antivirus and noted 0x800700b7.

Disconnected the McAfee firewall.

After a few trials succeeded to Restore.

Tried and the windows opened the shortcuts as in past.

Unfortunately not everything is right.

I mostly work with windows "Remote Desktop" using my "Work" computer and the laptop like remote monitor.

Although the laptop works now OK, working from laptop Remote Desktop I still cannot open the shortcuts on the of the remote "Work" computer.

Don't think its a problem of the "Work" computer, since from another computer working as Remote monitor there is no problem to open the shortcuts.

Thanks again,

Andre Vaida

אנדריויידה, May 8, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

What Remote Software are you using, Are you just accessing the shares across the network, or are you using Microsoft Remote Desktop? Or something else like TeamViewer?
    Go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center. Make sure the Laptop is part of a Private Network (Home or Office) and not on a Public network. If Public, click the Homegroup link in the Left panel and choose to Change Your Location. Allow other users to access this computer. Make sure Network Discovery is turned on and the other sharing settings.

spunk, May 8, 2017
  5. 56Kruiser Win User
    i am using Microsoft Remote Desktop. It is on Private network.I can access the laptop fine across the network and get to files via a share. It shows up with the other PCs in the house in the Network area of the explorer.

[EDIT]
    I did some further checkingm and I found that if the laptop hooked to the router in the office, it was set to public. I corrected that. But, it made no difference. Still cannot hook to it. (I was hooked to a the other router that was private all along when I first posted this.)

56Kruiser, May 9, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you are trying to connect to through two different subnets on one computer, it can screw up the IP Table and cache. If running any kind of third party security software, that can also cause issues. As for Remote Desktop, if you are using two different subnets in the house, use Teamviewer to help ease you from dealing with the whole RDP problems.

bro67, May 9, 2017
  7. 56Kruiser Win User
    I'm not using two different subnets. But I do have 2 routers on the same class c network. Located in 2 different places in the house.

That being said, I will investigate Team viewer.

It is interesting that file sharing works, but the RPC doesn't.

One thing that is of note...the laptop which is on wireless can remote to the 2 PCs that both are on cable, but neither of the PCs can remote to the laptop.

56Kruiser, May 9, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

If you have two different routers on the same ISP, you have to use two different subnets, which means that you cannot break the WAN from one router to the other. You will need to either use Professional and set up a server, use TeamViewer or if not needing the extra router for work, just use one wired router and access points in those areas that you need coverage.

Really the best way to do your network if you want multiple segments, is to use a good wired router that allows for VLAN's. There really is no need for more than one network layer in most homes, unless you are required by work or wanting a setup like mine that uses a Edge Router for my own personal network that is on top of the U-Verse Gateway that is only for my tv boxes.

bro67, May 9, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    bro67, May 9, 2017
  10. 56Kruiser Win User
    I have gotten both Chrome remote, and Teamviewer to work fine remoting to my laptop. Have been focusing on using Teamviewer. Did not require any network address or subnet changes.

I am now using a 15" Acer Chromebook to remote to the PCs.

One thing I am not having success with is getting sounds to come from the PCs to the Chromebook.

Any thoughts on that? (I do see it at the PC set to send sound. I don't see a way to make that setting on the Chromebook).

56Kruiser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remote to laptop not working - Similar Threads - Remote laptop working

2. Laptop and remote access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop and remote access: HiI was having problems last night trying to access a vpn account and my internet provider blocked me from getting on the site. Anyway after speaking to them I was suddenly able to download the vpn. Then this morning I accessed my laptop firstly I couldn’t get on the internet...
  3. Remote working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote working: Hi I am remote employee of recruitment company.I work with windows 10 laptop. The IT team is controlling device and location services are disabled.My question is if I change location to outside of UK will my employer know immediately? Please can you advice how to hide my IP...
  4. Remote working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote working: Hi I am remote employee of recruitment company.I work with windows 10 laptop. The IT team is controlling device and location services are disabled.My question is if I change location to outside of UK will my employer know immediately? Please can you advice how to hide my IP...
  5. Remote working

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Remote work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote work: Hello, I connected with vpn through my work's ip so i could hit a certain adress which works only with office's ip adress. I edited the host files bua i can hit it from my house . Anyone can help me?...
  7. remote working

remote working: Hi been working remotely from home with no problem after connecting to works system. Laptop working fine but today can access everything else but when i connect to work it asks for my password then accepts it and says connecting, then the normal screen appears with the name...
  8. remote working

remote working: Can anyone help me set up the remote desktop so I can access it from outside the home network please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-working/b1e3104c-700d-47b2-b154-2c4c13642e27
  9. Working remotely

Working remotely: I work remotely from my home computer to my computer at work through LogMeIn. Recently whenever I made a change on the screen display at home and it changed the remote computer as well. I also get email notices from my home email on my work computer. I spoke to LogMeIn and...
  10. Laptop not working after remote connection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop not working after remote connection: I had a verbal & visual message on my laptop saying it was infected & I must phone a number, being convinced It was from Microsoft I foolishly phoned, they said they could fix the problem & the work would be free . they also suggested I purchase a virus protection, I began to...