Windows 10: Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tonyolson, Apr 27, 2016.

1. tonyolson Win User

Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10

How to: Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, you can enable a new protection setting, Block suspicious behaviors, which brings the Windows Defender Exploit Guard attack surface reduction technology to all users.

You can turn on Block suspicious behaviors to prevent behavior by an app or file that might infect your device.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the Block suspicious behaviors feature of Windows Defender Exploit Guard attack surface reduction for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to turn on or off "Block suspicious behaviors".

Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note From Microsoft:

Thank you everyone who has given us feedback on the “Block Suspicious Behaviors” feature that was recently added to Windows Security. For the time being we’re removing it from the build while we work on addressing some of the things you shared with us.

*Arrow Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17730 - Windows Experience Blog

Here's How:

1. Open Windows Security, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Manage settings link under Virus & threat protection settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn on or off (default) Block suspicious behaviors for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Note This setting is stored in the ASR registry key below, but requires you to set permissions to "Allow" Administrators "Full Control" before being able to modify the DWORD value below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\ASR

EnableASRConsumers DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

4. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes to approve.

5. You can now close Windows Security if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

tonyolson, Apr 27, 2016
  2. Reldel Win User

The DWORD is set to 0 and I cannot get the process you suggested in the "NOTE" portion of the tutorial to work. Two attached screen shoots will show the before and after attempts to change the Permissions necessary for access to the DWORD change.

Access is denied. (Note-Protected folder in Defender is turned off)

Reldel, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Plankton Win User

I don't have that toggle to turn on/off.....it's missing.

Plankton, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Reldel Win User

Thanks, I've come to the conclusion just to wait on using Windows Security to "Block Suspicious Behaviors" at this time. Pretty obvious Microsoft has not completed the development of this feature. Most likely similar effect can be found using gpedit/Administrative templates/ and then enabling Block at First Site and Behavior Monitoring within Defender settings. No regediting necessary. Hey it's just Insider.*Banghead

Reldel, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Pixelme Win User
    Block Suspicious Behaviors Setting (Windows 10)

Hi

Although all my Windows 10 Updates are 'up-to-date', I'm not sure if those Updates include the Windows Redstone 5 Update which (among other things) was suppose to have an 'optional' Security Setting that Users could switch on called: Block Suspicious Behaviors.

I've looked at the Security Centre in my Windows Settings (and also searched my PC using the Term 'Block Suspicious Behaviors') but can't find this Setting - so, therefore, can't switch it on.

Has Windows Redstone 5 been rolled out to Users for quite some time, or could it be that it's still in the process of being rolled out?

The other possibility, I guess, is that the 'Block Suspicious Behaviors' On/Off 'Option' has been withdrawn and is now 'Automatically' switched On.

How can I check if I've had Redstone 5?

Any Info, please, on this Check Suspicious Behavior 'Option' (as I want to switch it on)

Thanks in advance for any Comments / Thoughts / Assistance.

Pixelme, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Ita1 Win User

hi Brink, it seems that the toggle that manages Block suspicious behavior has been removed in 1809 (17763.x):
    could you check it?

Thema:

1. Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Defender Block

2. C\windows\explorer.exe suspicious action was blocked

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C\windows\explorer.exe suspicious action was blocked: When using kaspersky safe money with edge chromium browser for my banking account online.. C:\windows\explorer.exe is constantly trying to read memory and Kaspersky keeps blocking it so my computer start to make noise and CPU is very high .. Is there any option to disable...
  3. Windows 10 Defender blocking zoominstaller.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Defender blocking zoominstaller.exe: I would like to download Zoom onto this 2019 Lenovo IdeaPad240 bought at staple store. Windows Defender 10 blocks ALL downloads "… has a virus and was deleted..." I've tried every way I can find to shut off Windows 10 Defender. Upon downloading, I STILL get that same...
  4. Microsoft Suspicious Connection Blocked

Microsoft Suspicious Connection Blocked: Hi, My anti virus software threw up the following: Suspicious connection blocked 15 hours ago Feature: Online Threat Prevention MicrosoftEdge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to markets.books.microsoft.com. We blocked the...
  5. Windows Defender behavior changed and now blocking almost all Adobe activity.

Windows Defender behavior changed and now blocking almost all Adobe activity.: I can only imagine this is related to a Windows recent update. I've been doing everything I can to keep up with all the errors in the Event Viewer but everytime I download and install a new Adobe product it hiccups again. While this was troublesome I was dealing with it as...
  6. windows 10 defender will not turn on

windows 10 defender will not turn on: When I start Windows 10 I note that it tells me windows defender is not on. I cannot turn it on from the security menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-defender-will-not-turn-on/485c58cd-46ab-4363-9829-73b63e5bb153"
  7. Block Suspicious Behaviors Setting (Windows 10)

Block Suspicious Behaviors Setting (Windows 10): Hi Although all my Windows 10 Updates are 'up-to-date', I'm not sure if those Updates include the Windows Redstone 5 Update which (among other things) was suppose to have an 'optional' Security Setting that Users could switch on called: Block Suspicious Behaviors. I've...
  8. suspicious behavior on my very small home network using Windows 10.

suspicious behavior on my very small home network using Windows 10.: I've the same question that a user asked last year ;When I boot up Win 10, a cmd prompt window opens from sys32 I I'm almost 100% positive my small NAS using DNS for steaming etc has left my open via many security holes ( I've had the same issue using Linux as well) I...
  9. suspicious action was blocked

suspicious action was blocked: My kaspersky total security 2016 just detected these(pls see attached file). There were about 82 of these yesterday August 21 but also I had that as many on August 6 and July 31 or maybe even before that. Under 'action' there are many types (perform code injection, duplicate...
  10. Windows Defender Default Behavior

Windows Defender Default Behavior: I just started using Windows Defender on my new Windows 10 PC. I uninstalled the Mcafee trial software through the control panel then used the Mcafee uninstall program as well. Initially, Defender wanted to run a quick scan which I did. My question is this: By default, in...