Windows 10: Remove certain items from Start search

Discus and support Remove certain items from Start search in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I search for apps sometimes "Best match" is far from being the best and is almost always something I would use very rarely or never. Is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DreadBoy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. DreadBoy Win User

Remove certain items from Start search

When I search for apps sometimes "Best match" is far from being the best and is almost always something I would use very rarely or never. Is it possible to manually reorder items or just remove them all together? I'm used to hit Start, type the beginning of app's name and hit enter but Windows 10 breaks that flow very often. See picture below, I wanted to open Logitech Software (to record with webcam) and Webstorm (Javascript IDE).

Remove certain items from Start search [​IMG]

:)

DreadBoy, Oct 25, 2015
  2. UviJW Win User

Cannot unpin items from Start or remove items from Most Used list

I actually just finished installing Avast 2015 (Free) after removing Kaspersky. The start menu seems to be working fine now with Avast for me.

One suggestion you can try out: If you are using a Microsoft Account to login, try converting to a local account and see if that helps with anything

UviJW, Oct 25, 2015
  3. UviJW Win User
    Cannot unpin items from Start or remove items from Most Used list

I think I have found the problem. Kaspersky Anti Virus software seems to have a bug which affects the Start screen on Windows 10. Restarting explorer.exe using task manager, or logging out and back in (or restarting windows) seems to update the Start menu
    with the pin/un-pin operations you did. If you pin/un-pin apps again, you need to restart explorer.exe again to show the updated list.

This workaround doesn't, however, solve the hindrance in the search results. The only solution I could find was uninstalling Kaspersky altogether.

Hoping Kaspersky issue a patch for this soon!

UviJW, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

Remove certain items from Start search

1. Remove certain items from Start search - Similar Threads - Remove certain items

2. Remove single search result from start menu search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove single search result from start menu search: Hi =]I have Solidworks installed on my PC and it is easier for me to start searching 'sol' and then press enter in order to run Solidworks, rather than clicking an icon, depending on what I'm doing at the moment.For some reason, the first search result is some minor...
  3. Remove single search result from start menu search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove single search result from start menu search: Hi =]I have Solidworks installed on my PC and it is easier for me to start searching 'sol' and then press enter in order to run Solidworks, rather than clicking an icon, depending on what I'm doing at the moment.For some reason, the first search result is some minor...
  4. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  5. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  6. How to remove item from alphabetical start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove item from alphabetical start menu: I have an item in the alphabetical start menu that no longer exists in applications. How do I remove it? Windows 10 1903 Thank you... 162419
  7. Remove apps and items from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove apps and items from Start menu: I have some apps on the start menu that have no uninstall when you RH click? How do I remove the icon? I have 2 other items that have the uninstall option but they take me to the Programs - Programs & Feastures that you see in Control Panel. But there doesn't appear to be...
  8. Can't add or remove items from start list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add or remove items from start list: The situation is I can't add any item to the "start list', which is the list on the left of the start icons. As far as I've read, it's supposed to be as easy as dragging an icon, but it can't be done I get an "x" when I reach the destination at the left. Strange also, is...
  9. Cannot remove items from Start menu

Cannot remove items from Start menu: I'm trying to remove what I suppose are some sort of system items, Mail, Alarms & Clock, Calculator etc. from the "All Apps" menu. Can't do it. They don't appear in the Windows/Start folder either. I'm never going to use some of these "apps", which I assume is the new hip...
  10. How to remove certain items from "all apps" list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove certain items from "all apps" list?: Hey all, Another question I have about Windows 10. Back on Windows 7, under the all programs list I was able to delete anything I didn't want listed there. Unfortunately with Windows 10 I can't remove everything. So I am wondering how can I clean up the "All Apps" list...