Windows 10: Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Display settings' Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

How to: Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove 'Display settings' Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you right click or press and hold on your desktop and click/tap on Display settings, it will open to Display in Settings -> System icon.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Display settings on the desktop context menu of all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove the Display settings desktop context menu.

Note This can be handy if you wanted to remove unused desktop context menu items.

EXAMPLE: Display settings on desktop context menu

Here's How:

1. In the search box (Windows+S) on your taskbar or Start menu, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane of Registry Editor, browse to the location below. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display

4. If you have not already, you will need to first step 3)

5. If you have not already, you will need to second step 3)

6. If you have not already, you will need to third step 3)

7. If you have not already, you will need to fourth step 3)

8. Do step 9 (add) or step 10 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

9. To Add Display settings to Desktop Context Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 11 below.

Add_Display_settings_to_desktop_context_menu.reg

Download

10. To Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 11 below.

Remove_Display_settings_from_desktop_context_menu.reg

Download
    11. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

12. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

13. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

14. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 7, 2016
  2. Bree Win User

Remove Play with Windows Media Player Context Menu in Windows 10  

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Step 1. Open with > choose another app

Step 2, click More apps

Step 3. scroll down to the bottom of the list to find Look for another app on this PC

Step 4. browse and find Windows Media Player wmplayer.exe then click Open

3. BC66 Win User
    Add or Remove New context menu in Windows 10  

is there i can add and remove the lists on desktop context menu? Right click on desktop shows the context menu for me to add or remove the list
    thanks

4. Necrofire Win User

CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 :)

Necrofire, Oct 26, 2019
  5. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

Hi Ramon,

In reply to your questions:

• Asus, not sure of model - 64 bit desktop system, Asus motherboard, Intel E5300 dual-core @ 2.6 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 600 Gb disk (<80% full).
    • No error messages at all.
    • None of the desktop shortcuts (icons) launch their apps, including old original shortcuts and newer ones. (In other words, all icons' context menus misbehave the same way.)
    • No changes or custom mods... off-the-shelf prebuilt system, stock Windows install. Strictly used for home office functions - no gaming or external hardware hung off the PC.
    Some additional points:

• Note that the Win-X context menu also mostly not working - none of the utilities launch from the choices on the upper 75% of the menu, only system functions (Run, Shutdown, etc.) at the bottom.
    • Also note that context menus work normally elsewhere in the system: like inside File Explorer, and inside the Start Menu.
    • Not aware of any other issues anywhere in my system. Applications run promptly and at normal speed, no unusual hangs or error pop-ups. (BTW, Windows tablet mode is OFF - I checked.)
    • Windows 10 was an upgrade directly from Windows 7.
    • At that time everything worked, including all the desktop shortcut context menus and Win-X.
    • The context menus on the desktop stopped functioning after the Anniversary update... now shortcuts only launch on double-click from mouse.
    • All additional MS updates and patches since that time have successfully installed.
    Thanks for your help.

WarrenClearfield, Oct 26, 2019
  6. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

(Windows 10 with Anniversary Update, patched up to date.) Following installation of Anniversary Update I have 2 context menu issues. When I right-click a desktop shortcut the context menu appears but Open, Run As Administrator, and Pin to Start don't work
    - e.g., the app won't launch and it won't pin to the Start Menu (but it will pin to Taskbar). On the other hand, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties do work. It doesn't matter which shortcut I try, and this all worked before the upgrade. Also the Win-X menu
    pops open, but none of those choices work either except the 4 bottom ones - Desktop, Shutdown, Run, and Search. Again, if the choice is to run a program, there may be a momentary spinner, but nothing starts up. The shortcuts only launch if I double-click,
    and the context menus seem to work from inside the Start list (including creating a tile and pinning to the Start Menu from there.

I've tried different Google searches, but none of the hits quite describe my issues. One of the postings that came close suggested running a utility called ShellExView. I disabled all 7 suspect non-MS context menus it identified, but that made no difference.
    So, can anybody help?

WarrenClearfield, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Remove Display settings from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove Display settings

2. Remove Move to OneDrive from Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Remove Move to OneDrive from Context Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Want to get rid of the Move to OneDrive option from right-click context menu in Windows 10? This tutorial will help you remove the Move to OneDrive option from the context menu on your Windows 10 PC. The Move to OneDrive feature enables you to save your files to...
  3. How do I remove this entry from the Desktop's context menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove this entry from the Desktop's context menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kololos [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dz0jza/how_do_i_remove_this_entry_from_the_desktops/
  4. remove OneDrive options from context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove OneDrive options from context menu: [ATTACH] how do i remove onedrive options from this context menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-onedrive-options-from-context-menu/a3938520-a49d-401e-a5a6-29e6f01f5a26
  5. Context menu on the desktop

Context menu on the desktop: How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/context-menu-on-the-desktop/21749250-49ca-4520-b839-f24d49c95a6a
  6. Remove from context menu

Remove from context menu: Brink has posted a number of tutorials for removing specific program entries from the context menu. The screen shot is my current CM, showing two entries I'd like to get rid of. Is there a general method or places in the registry to look for? [img] 107356
  7. Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows How to Add Presentation Settings to Desktop Context Menu in Windows When giving a presentation, you may want to turn on presentation mode. While presentation mode is turned on, your computer stays...
  8. Remove Manage from This PC Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Manage from This PC Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Remove Manage from This PC Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Manage on This PC Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, users can right click on This PC (navigation pane) and click/tap on the Manage context menu item to open...
  9. Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on your desktop and click/tap on Personalize, it will open to Background...
  10. Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Set as desktop background' Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click on a .bmp, .dib, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, or .wdp...