Windows 10: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Discus and support Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information add more drives to the storage pool.

If you upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive from it. The data stored on that drive will be moved to other drives in the pool, and you'll be free to use the drive for something else.

This tutorial will show you how to remove a drive from a storage pool for storage spaces in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to remove a drive from a storage pool.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage Storage Spaces link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Storage Spaces icon instead.

2. Click/tap on the Change settings button, and click/tap on Yes if prompted by UAC. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Under Physical drives for the storage pool you want, click/tap on the Prepare for removal link for the drive you want to remove. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Prepare for removal button when ready. (see screenshot below)

Note Leave your PC plugged in until the drive is ready to be removed. This could take several hours, depending on how much data you have stored there.

If you run into problems when you try to prepare the drive for removal, it might be because you don't have enough free space in the pool to store all the data from the drive you want to remove. Try adding a new drive to the pool that's as large as the drive you plan to remove and then try again.

5. The drive will now be listed as Preparing for removal. (see screenshot below)

6. When the drive is listed as Ready to remove, click/tap on its Remove link. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Remove drive button. (see screenshot below)

8. The drive will now be removed from the storage pool. (see screenshots below)

9. The drive you removed will show as an unallocated disk in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) ready for you to disconnect or format. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 14, 2016
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    that should help deal with removing and adding drives:

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10.

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

still nothing.

samsonbiatch, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

****I asked this question in Windows Tech Net, but got no response. I am not an IT Pro, so maybe I posted in the wrong forum. This issue seems to be happening to others and the Windows Key + X.... solution I saw elsewhere on this forum did not work for me.
    Here is my question....*****

I have 16 USB drives pooled in Windows 10 Storage Spaces (mostly 3TB to 5TB drives). Most of the pool is used as parity storage volume. I also have small 2 and 3 way volumes and a simple volume with little data on them. The pool was at about 68% capacity
    before a 5TB drive failed. Storage Spaces automatically moved data off the failed drive and currently reports: 0.42% used, providing 4.54TB pool capacity. Error code for the failed drive in Physical Drives listing reads: Retired; add a drive then remove this
    drive.

The Parity Storage Spaces volume now reads: Warning, Low capacity: add 2 drives. Because when data was reallocated to the remaining drives, the parity volume is now over 70% full.

What I have done.

1. I bought a new 5TB USB drive and added it to the storage pool. Attempted to "remove" the failed drive in the GUI Physcial drives listing. Got an error with detail: "Drive could not be removed because not all data could be reallocated. Add an additional
    drive to this pool and reattempt this operation." I don't understand how adding a new 5TB drive to the pool was not large enough to reallocate the remaining 0.42% data used on the failed drive. Thought maybe the 70% low capacity error message had something
    to do with it. So....

2. I then added two smaller USB drives (200GB, 500GB) to the pool and the "low capacity" and "add 2 drives" messages were cleared. I attempted to once again remove the retired drive in the Storage Spaces GUI, but got the same message as before that the pool
    was not large enough to reallocate the remaining data on the failed drive.

After googling this issue of how to remove Storage Spaces retired drives, I believe I am not the only one with these concerns and I have yet to find an answer. I have effectively replaced one failed 5TB drive with three drives providing almost 6TB and yet
    Storage Spaces will not let me remove the failed 5TB drive.

The failed drive is only about 4 months old, so I would like to remove it from Storage Spaces, run diagnostics on it, and RMA it for a replacement. However, don't want to "crash" the Storage Spaces by just unplugging the failed drive and physically removing
    it on my own when the GUI says I can't.

Storage Spaces is still running fine despite the one failed drive, so no complaints. Just want to know how to get this retired drive off my pool. Have started learning how to use Powershell, so willing to go beyond the Windows 10 Storage Spaces GUI if needed.
    Any help appreciated.

GeorgeTaus, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft help article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/storage-spaces-windows-10

Note: Refer to the section: How to remove a drive from a pool.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

1. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove Drive Storage

2. How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you created a storage pool or upgraded an existing pool on your Windows 10 […] This article How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Essentially, Storage Spaces stores two copies of your data so if one of your […] This article How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...
  5. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  6. Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Delete a Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to delete a storage space from a storage pool in...
  7. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  8. Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of...
  9. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to...
  10. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one...