Windows 10: Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10

Discus and support Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnTravolski, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10

So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop (it's old, it originally shipped with Windows 8; not 8.1, 8). After the installation, I went into the Disk Managment and noticed this:

Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10 [​IMG]

Notice all of the partitions on the C drive! I don't know how they were created and which ones are important, but I'm fairly confident that most of them DON'T need to be there.

Unfortunately, Disk Management will not let me remove any of the 6 partitions directly, and I'm pretty sure that it should only have 3 partitions, one for Windows Boot Manager, one for my files, and the other one created by Samsung for system recovery. Unfortunately, I have NO idea which partition corresponds to what (except the 900 GB one being for my operating system, obviously), and I honestly don't know how to remove the extra ones that I don't need.

How can I determine which partitions of this hard drive that I don't need, and how can I actually get rid of them?

For reference, my specific laptop's model number is NP700Z5C-S02UB if that helps.

:)

JohnTravolski, Jun 30, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 30, 2018
  3. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Jun 30, 2018
  4. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Jun 30, 2018
Thema:

Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10

1. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Boot Drive Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove Extraneous Partitions

2. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  3. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  4. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Desktop: Extraneous Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Desktop: Extraneous Icons: I work as a support tech in an corporate enterprise environment with over 500 end users. We are using Dell desktop and laptop computers running a corporate-developed build of Microsoft Windows 10 Professional. We also utilize O365 apps and OneDrive to sync users files and...
  6. Windows 10 Desktop: Extraneous Icons

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Desktop: Extraneous Icons: I work as a support tech in an corporate enterprise environment with over 500 end users. We are using Dell desktop and laptop computers running a corporate-developed build of Microsoft Windows 10 Professional. We also utilize O365 apps and OneDrive to sync users files and...
  7. Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?: Please tell me how to start up by attaching the HDD removed from the notebook PC as it is with a SATA / USB conversion cable. The USB device is not displayed on the F12 BOOT selection screen. When windows boot from the internal drive, it will be recognized as an external...
  8. how to remove partitions from backup hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to remove partitions from backup hdd: I want to clear the partitions from a 1 tb backup drive I tried deleting the partitions by formatting them but it only removed the files in the partitions and the partitions are still there. see pic below How can I remove the 4 partitions so I can use the hdd to clone a...
  9. Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop

Remove Extraneous Partitions on HDD Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop: So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop (it's old, it originally shipped with Windows 8; not 8.1, 8). After the installation, I went into the...
  10. Partition/Volume on HDD 'flagged' as removable drive

Partition/Volume on HDD 'flagged' as removable drive: The single (MBR) HDD in this machine is partitioned for OS (dual boot) and data (multiple). I noticed in the context menu that the partition used to store software install packages has a Open Autoplay pick whereas the OS and Data partitions do not (as expected). [img]...