Windows 10: Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

How to: Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default, context menus appear when you right-click the desktop or when you right-click the items in File Explorer.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove File Explorer's default context menu for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove the context menu.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add or Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Add or Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu using a REG file

EXAMPLE: File Explorer context menus

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu in Local Group Policy Editor

Note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and File Explorer. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of File Explorer, double click/tap on Remove File Explorer's default context menu to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (add) or step 6 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Add File Explorer's Default Context Menu
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add or Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoViewContextMenu DWORD

(delete) = Add
    1 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add File Explorer's Default Context Menu for All Users
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_File_Explorer_context_menu.reg

Download

3. To Remove File Explorer's Default Context Menu for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_File_Explorer_context_menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Brink, Oct 6, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Remove Play with Windows Media Player Context Menu in Windows 10  

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Step 1. Open with > choose another app

Step 2, click More apps

Step 3. scroll down to the bottom of the list to find Look for another app on this PC

Step 4. browse and find Windows Media Player wmplayer.exe then click Open

4. Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 :(

ArmoredCavalry, Oct 26, 2019
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10

Shawn, I'm having a problem with option one, step 2......

Unblocked download as usual, I am an administrator, etc. Did the normal MERGE of .reg to registry.

Here's what I get:
    The hex string in the .reg file is missing in registry. I get OPEN, not MOUNT in Explorer. I can mount it thru file explorer, but no MOUNT cmd.

Thanks, Dick...

f14tomcat, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10

1. Remove File Explorer Default Context Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove File Explorer

2. Windows 11: How to remove Edit With Clipchamp from File Explorer's context menu

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11: How to remove Edit With Clipchamp from File Explorer's context menu: Clipchamp is a new default application of Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system. Microsoft purchased the web-based video editor in 2021 and integrated it into development builds of Windows 11 in early 2022. [ATTACH] The free version of Clipchamp was not really usable back...
  3. Customize File Explorer context menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer context menu?: I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a...
  4. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  5. File Explorer Second-button Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Second-button Context Menu: In Detailed View mode, when right-clicking on a highlighted area of a file or folder when there is no text present, the options presented are for the folder containing that file/folder, not the file/folder being clicked on. The context-menu operation needs to work on the...
  6. Remove "Pin to Start" Context Menu for Files in Windows 10?

Remove "Pin to Start" Context Menu for Files in Windows 10?: Looking to remove the "pin to start" context menu from Windows 10, I use startmenu replacement and that option is very much in the way. There was a way for win 8.1 Files in Windows 8 But reg files changed, so anyone got a Win 10 version of it? Cheers. 12374
  7. How to scroll File Explorer context menu

How to scroll File Explorer context menu: Windows 10 File Explorer has a arrow at the bottom to scroll the menu, how can the menu be scrolled in the old "normal" fashion? 48187
  8. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 A .url file is an Internet shortcut that opens with your default web browser. The Open with context menu allows you to choose...
  9. Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10 The New context menu allows users to quickly create a new item in the current location. The default New context menu items include to...
  10. Windows Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Context Menu: Windows Explorer Context Menu Add custom items to Windows Explorer shell context menu easily with Explorer Context Menu. Easy to start (just install), easy to add your menu items (just one line of template code for every menu item), easy to use (.Net C#, VB, etc.) easy to...