Windows 10: Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

Discus and support Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chipwood, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation.

Is there a speedier process without need for drastic measures like formatting, please?

:)

chipwood, Aug 19, 2017

2. How To Safely Completely Remove File History From External Drive?

Hi!

Suppose that I have started taking backups by enabling File History on an external hard drive.

Say now, that I want to completely stop and remove File History files and folders from the external drive.

How do I do that?

Do I go to my external drive and remove manually all the files and folders that are in there?

MarkosMevorah, Aug 19, 2017
  3. File History

File History is writing files and versions of files to an external drive into a File History folder OK.

The problem is that if I access settings , backup file history more options, restore files from the current backup there is a window/folder for each day ( back up set for daily) but the indication is the folder is empty, even though the files are being written
    to the external File History folder. I tried unselecting File History and deleting the external drive file history folder and restarting file history which again generated a File History folder on the external drive and writing files to the drive, but again
    unable to view the daily file version loads by selecting restore files from the current backup. Any ideas?

RobinChesterfield, Aug 19, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

format is a few second away but you can try to bypass the recicle bin

press shift + del after selecting the folder

roy111, Aug 19, 2017
  5. chipwood Win User
    Thank you-kept in mind By chance found that VSRevo uninstaller can do it too.

chipwood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive - Similar Threads - Remove files folders

2. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  3. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  4. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  6. W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...

W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...: Hi In W10 Home we have added an external 2TB drive to the File History Start>Settings>Update and Security>Back-up>Add a drive So whenever this drive is connected it is now always associated with the Back-Up function. However, as things have changed, we wish to remove...
  7. File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder: In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll call it the M: drive to a folder on my computer's internal C: drive using the Disk Management program. The M: drive has all...
  8. Add an external drive to File History

Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  9. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  10. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...