Windows 10: Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

Discus and support Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chipwood, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation.

Is there a speedier process without need for drastic measures like formatting, please?

:)

chipwood, Aug 19, 2017

2. How To Safely Completely Remove File History From External Drive?

Hi!

Suppose that I have started taking backups by enabling File History on an external hard drive.

Say now, that I want to completely stop and remove File History files and folders from the external drive.

How do I do that?

Do I go to my external drive and remove manually all the files and folders that are in there?

MarkosMevorah, Aug 19, 2017
  3. File History

File History is writing files and versions of files to an external drive into a File History folder OK.

The problem is that if I access settings , backup file history more options, restore files from the current backup there is a window/folder for each day ( back up set for daily) but the indication is the folder is empty, even though the files are being written
    to the external File History folder. I tried unselecting File History and deleting the external drive file history folder and restarting file history which again generated a File History folder on the external drive and writing files to the drive, but again
    unable to view the daily file version loads by selecting restore files from the current backup. Any ideas?

RobinChesterfield, Aug 19, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

format is a few second away but you can try to bypass the recicle bin

press shift + del after selecting the folder

roy111, Aug 19, 2017
  5. chipwood Win User
    Thank you-kept in mind By chance found that VSRevo uninstaller can do it too.

chipwood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive - Similar Threads - Remove files folders

2. file history drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  3. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...
  4. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder: Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server. When I try...
  5. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  6. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  7. File History to be removed?

File History to be removed?: I've done a quick search on the forum and can't find any reference to this topic. I used File History today and discovered that there were no entries beyond 5 November, which happens to be the day that I was upgraded to the Fall Creators update. A bit of googling revealed...
  8. How to remove folders from File History

How to remove folders from File History: Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it backed up another way. I removed the folder from File History Backup Options (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More...
  9. File History Drive

File History Drive: Hello, Can anyone tell me how to stop a maintenance message"file history drive has been disconnected too long-reconnect drive"from displaying. I only connect my WD Passport drive backup drive once a month and do not need to be be informed that it is disconnected. Thanx...
  10. How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility: I was trying the File History backup utility and of course it defaulted to a preset of folders/files as I did not "Remove" any. Actually what I really want to is only backup a single folder that I warehouse selected data in (C\special docs) What I need to do is remove all the...