Windows 10: Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10

Discus and support Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10 Add or Remove 'Look for an app in the Microsoft Store' in Open with in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10

How to: Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10

Add or Remove 'Look for an app in the Microsoft Store' in Open with in Windows 10

The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install for their Microsoft account in Windows 10 PCs and devices.

The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to be their default app for the current file type.

By default, users can select either option below in Open with:
    • More apps = Will list more apps to select from, and give you more options.
    • Look for an app in the Store = Will open the Store app for you to select and install an app to open the file with.
    • Look for another app on this PC = Will open File Explorer for you to navigate to and select an installed program to open the file with.
    • Always use this app to open (file extension) files = To set the selected app to always open this file type by default.
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Look for an app in the Microsoft Store option in Open with for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store".

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add or Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" in Open with using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Add or Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" in Open with using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" in Open with > Choose another app

Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" in Open with using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings

3. In the right pane of Internet Communication settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off access to the Store policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (add) or step 6 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Add "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" to Open with
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" from Open with
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add or Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" in Open with using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoUseStoreOpenWith DWORD

(delete) = Add
    1 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" to Open with
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Look_for_an_app_in_the_Store.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store" from Open with
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Look_for_an_app_in_the_Store.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 19, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10 :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, Oct 26, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows Store 10 cents deals

Change your region for Windows Store

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
  5. HTC
    HTC Win User
    Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

Will they remove windows 10 too?

6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Remove 'Look for an app in the Store' from Open with in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove 'Look app

2. Remove app from Store library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove app from Store library: I have the Mail and Calendar app stuck in my Library in the Store.Still isn't an option to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-app-from-store-library/4a8842d0-6fac-4bec-850e-512e8dbb5105
  3. Remove app from Store library

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove app from Store library: I have the Mail and Calendar app stuck in my Library in the Store.Still isn't an option to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-app-from-store-library/4a8842d0-6fac-4bec-850e-512e8dbb5105
  4. Microsoft store and the apps from it will not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store and the apps from it will not open: I'm on windows 10 and the Microsoft store as well as the apps from it no longer work. I've tried almost everything I could think of, everything I find from the internet, no luck. Help....
  5. how to remove an app from windows "open with" window

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to remove an app from windows "open with" window: I was trying out custom cursors when I opened one of the .ani files with paint to see if I could recolor it, now the file icon for .ani files is the paint icon and I can't see what the cursers look like... is there a way to delete my used app history so it doesn't...
  6. remove app from microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    remove app from microsoft store: Hi I published an app in microsoft store and i want to remove it . Is it possible ? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-app-from-microsoft-store/d2f9da44-3a38-4bbd-afff-29617aa70958"
  7. Eight Windows 10 cryptojacking apps removed from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 News
    Eight Windows 10 cryptojacking apps removed from Microsoft Store: [ATTACH] Microsoft has removed from the official Microsoft Store eight Windows 10 apps that had been caught mining the Monero cryptocurrency behind users' backs for the benefit of the apps' developers. The names of the eight apps are Fast-search Lite, Battery Optimizer...
  8. Error Opening Trello (App Installed from Windows 10 App Store)

Error Opening Trello (App Installed from Windows 10 App Store): [ATTACH]I receive the attached error when trying to open a newly installed copy of Trello. I have reset the computer, installed and uninstalled the app on different drives, and still get the same issue. "An invalid name request was made. The name requested cannot be retired...
  9. Look for more apps is missing from Open With option

Look for more apps is missing from Open With option: hi, it's me again :) Found another weird issue with the 1803 update in Windows 10. I no longer have the "look for more apps" link in my right click Open With menu. All it shows now is notepad, wordpad, and look for an app in the ridiculous MS Store. Looking on Goolge...
  10. Removing Windows Store from Windows 10

Removing Windows Store from Windows 10: I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 using the media center option and it went well. Upon further inspection, the majority of the "core apps" didn't function correctly (or at all). I've managed to get everything working except for the Windows Store. It simply won't open. I get no...