Windows 10: Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar

Discus and support Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm sure it's just a thing with the preview, but to be perfectly honest, I never used Win8 after the initial dev release, so it's entirely possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SylenThunder, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar

I'm sure it's just a thing with the preview, but to be perfectly honest, I never used Win8 after the initial dev release, so it's entirely possible this was something I would have hated in Win8 as well.

Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar [​IMG]

Basically, the search is covering up the ability to click "All Programs" and most of the icons in the tray when I click on the Start button. If I have the Taskbar set to not auto-hide, the issue is not as bad, but only because that raises the position of the Start Menu by about 30-40 pixels.

It would also help if the start menu wasn't partially hidden behind the taskbar when it's set to auto-hide.

Is there any setting or registry modification I can change to either move it to the side, resize it so it's not taller than the taskbar, or remove it completely?

Thanks

:)

SylenThunder, Mar 31, 2015
  2. MrChips2 Win User

How can I resize my Taskbar in Windows 10?

MrChips2, Mar 31, 2015
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Mar 31, 2015
  4. Techsavy Win User

Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar

Just simply right click on task bar, then find the drop down list with search bar on it.

Techsavy, Mar 31, 2015
  5. That would be for the taskbar search option, which is what I would use instead of the Start Search. Disabling it did not remove the Start Search appearance at all though.

SylenThunder, Mar 31, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    adamf, Apr 1, 2015
  7. On the desktop it shows 10041, but I swear I got the Spartan update with 10049.

The thread you linked is for turning off the auto-hide to keep the taskbar from covering up part of the start menu, but that's more of a workaround than a fix/solution. For some of the things I am testing, I need for the taskbar to auto-hide. The Start Menu being partially covered by the taskbar is not nearly as much of an issue as the massive search box. Truly, just being able to shrink the Start Search so that it's not taller than the taskbar would be a fine workaround. Fixing the Start menu so that it "pops" above the taskbar would be helpful also, but I figure that's something the MS team is still working on. *Smile

SylenThunder, Apr 1, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

It still happens for me on 10049. I'm sure it went away... Either I dreamt it or it has come back.

The search box the exact same size as the taskbar if you don't have Use small taskbar icons ticked so that could be another workaround (except it makes the taskbar bigger not the search box smaller of course). There are a few reports in the feedback app for this.

Presumably, yes.

adamf, Apr 1, 2015
  9. Roger Win User
    Try clicking on the vertical scroll bar. When I click (left click) on the scroll bar the AllApps icon replaces the Start button.

The vertical scroll bar is hard to see because of the colors............. click where it should be!

Roger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar - Similar Threads - Remove Move Resize

2. KB5034204 remove "Start" bar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5034204 remove "Start" bar.: I've had a problem since yesterday evening, my bottom explorer bar disappeared. Win+X restored the bar to the desktop, but most of the options, including the "start" button, are not functional. I looked for the fault for a long time and discovered it by removing the KB5034204...
  3. Resizing the Projection Bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resizing the Projection Bar: [ATTACH] How do I resize this bar??? It's driving me nuts as it occupies so much space on the screen. It sticks out like a sore thumb... Please help. https://preview.redd.it/971wora0dkj61.png?width=1360&format=png&auto=webp&s=156007d96efaf6d135e01349f7f0c083b9e4358a...
  4. Start and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start and search bar not working: My start and search bar will not work at random. Sometimes I will turn my laptop on and they will work, sometimes they won't and I need to turn my laptop off and turn it on again. I can still search for programs if I press the Windows key on my keyboard, however, just now I...
  5. Start bar search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start bar search: I have a X an online drive account and I use the app on my pc. I might choose to save a file on Onedrive or this X depending on a personal criteria. However, the documents present in the X drive can not be searched through start bar even though they are present on the PC....
  6. Start search bar is glitching.

Start search bar is glitching.: Hi there, When I try and type in the search bar on the bottom left hand side of my screen it just glitches. I can type (for example) "sniping tool" and nothing shows and when I press the enter key nothing happens either. :( Any idea why ?...
  7. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  8. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...
  10. Remove Firefox Search Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Remove Firefox Search Bar: I didn't like the Firefox Search Bar. I rarely used it. It takes up valuable real estate that can be used by other ADD-ONS Icons. I Just do my searches directly in Bing or Google. To remove the Firefox Search Bar (this actually just moves it and stores it away, you can...