Windows 10: Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive

Discus and support Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ed, thanks for a good answer. I'll live with it. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Apr 5, 2018.

1. tcebob Win User

Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive

Ed, thanks for a good answer. I'll live with it.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
  2. tcebob Win User

I use a USB external drive for backups. MS gives me a Recycle Bin and a System Volume Information directory, neither of which I can get rid of. Am I stuck with them?

:)

tcebob, Apr 10, 2018
  3. How to empty external drive using recycle bin on Windows 10 computer.

If the drives have $Recycle.Bin folders (as would be expected given their size), then they
    do have a recycle bin obviously. The way you access the recycle bin of the external drive is the exact same way you access the recycle bin for your system. So let me repeat - the UI is
    one and the same. The recycle bin icon on your desktop if double-clicked will open and show you files deleted both from internal as well as external drives.

If your recycle bin doesn't show files deleted from external drives, that means their recycle bin folders have got disconnected or unlinked from the system's recycle bin. I also provided a couple of solutions for that.

RobertJWin, Apr 10, 2018
  4. Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive

How to empty external drive using recycle bin on Windows 10 computer.

Don't see what the big problem is. Normally Windows
    may or may not create
    Recycle Bin folders on removable drives depending on their size (smaller ones don't have them though I don't know the exact threshold).

So if your external drive doesn't have a Recycle Bin folder (in Win10 it'll be named $Recycle.Bin) then any file you delete will be permanently deleted, just as if you had pressed Shift+Del instead of Del.

If your external drive does have a Recycle Bin folder however, then any files you delete from the drive will go into that folder and simply be visible in the Recycle Bin shown on your desktop. The same way that files deleted from any internal drive will
    show up in the same desktop Recycle Bin, files deleted from external drives with Recycle Bin folders will also show up there.

In short, double-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop and in the resulting unified view you'll be able to see files deleted from external drives (with Recycle Bin folders) too.
    You can then select and delete some of them permanently, or simply empty the Recycle Bin to get rid of all of them.

In certain cases the external drive's Recycle Bin folder can get unlinked from the system's Recycle Bin, leading to deleted files in the former not showing up in the latter. In that situation you can try either Disk Cleanup, or better still delete the folder
    itself from File Explorer or the command prompt. Windows will automatically recreate it next time the drive's accessed.

RobertJWin, Apr 10, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, more or less. They're part of the file system that lets you read from and write to storage devices, including USB external drives. Here's a discussion from answers.microsoft.com that you may find illuminating (particularly the reply from Ratandeep of Microsoft).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive

1. Remove recycle bin + from external disk drive - Similar Threads - Remove recycle bin

2. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  3. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  4. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  5. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  6. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

7. recycle bin on external HDD

recycle bin on external HDD: I have deleted many duplicate filesseveral Gigabytes on my eternal HDD but the computer has not shown an increased amount of free space. When I check the recycle bin it is shown as empty.. I have heard that these deleted files may be "hidden" but I do not know how to access...
  8. External drive and recycle bin.....what's happening?

in Windows 10 Support
    External drive and recycle bin.....what's happening?: Hi All, Something odd that I can't get my head around. When I looked in the "Recycle bin", it was completely empty. I then connected my external drive ( drive i) and several files appeared in the recycle bin. I restored one of the files, and it went into another drive...
  9. Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows: How to: Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows Add or Remove Empty Recycle Bin Context Menu for Recycle Bin in Windows The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from a hard disk,...
  10. How to remove recycle bin from desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove recycle bin from desktop?: I can not believe, I am actually asking this, but I can not find the answer. *Redface 8501