Windows 10: Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

Discus and support Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Windows 7 SP1 [ Genuine ]. My upgrade to windows 10 is ready via windows update but i don't want to install it. Any idea how to remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sidewinder57, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

Hi,
    I am using Windows 7 SP1 [ Genuine ]. My upgrade to windows 10 is ready via windows update but i don't want to install it. Any idea how to remove this option so that normal system updates can be install.
    Thanks.

Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update [​IMG]

:)

Sidewinder57, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum.

This notification is for free upgrade to Windows 10. However if you want to stop this notification, you can follow the methods below and check.

Method 1:Uninstall the Windows
    Update as follow:

Remove the Windows update
    KB 3035583

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Rename the GWXUXWorker.exe

Terminate the GWX.exe process using Task Manager. Moreover rename the
    GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old as suffix from directory location:-

Windows\System32\GWX, if getting any issues while renaming then give the system permission's to respective files and then try to rename it again. OR you can delete the entire directory folder.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Registry key to stop the notification
    :-

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.

• In the Open field, type regedit.

• Click OK.

• Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).

• Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx

• Right click.

• Click Modify.

• In the Value data: field,
      dword:00000001.

• Click OK.

• Exit Registry Editor.

Important this method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

I have windows 8.1 and tried all 3 of those methods and it still won't stop sending me this

HOW CAN I MAKE IT STOP?

LatrishaMatson, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

I removed the Windows 10 Upgrade option by removing Windows update KB3035583.

Here’s how:

To remove KB3035583, first open Windows Update and click “Installed Updates” in the bottom-left corner.

To quickly find KB3035583, you can sort by name. Once you’ve located it, right-click and choose “Uninstall”.

When you select to uninstall this update, you’ll be asked to confirm and then you will need to restart your computer.

Once your computer restarts, the “GWX.exe” and its associated “GWXUX.exe”applications will be removed and the system tray icon and resulting dialog will go away permanently.

If the Icon Returns

Some folks have noted that KB3035583 returns if you don’t hide it. If you have Windows updates set to download and install automatically, this means that if you uninstall this update, it will be reinstalled automatically a few days later.

To hide the KB3035583 update and prevent it from being reinstalled, right-click onit in the Windows Update application and select “Hide update”.

After, the update’s selection box will be grayed out and cannot be checked. From here on, the update will be hidden whenever you reopen Windows Update unless you decide to restore it.

Icon Still Won’t Go Away?

There’s also a registry hack that you can use to prevent the icon from showing up.

Open up regedit.exe using the Start search or by hitting WIN + R and pasting it into the field. Then browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named Disable Gwx,and give it a value of 1.

Hope this helps.

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 5, 2015
  5. dogpark Win User
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I don't think modifying the GWX Icon will do any good at this point. WU has control now.
    With the re-issuance of KB3035583 this week I believe more people are going to be caught in this circumstance. Two months ago I installed KB3035583 & modified the registry to remove the icon from the taskbar.

However now the latest KB3035583 goes right WU, did for me anyway (since I install Recommended automatically). Now I have multiple Upgrade to Windows 10 updates in WU, three so far. One yesterday & two today - they are all hidden at this point.

I did uninstall & hide KB3035583, then ran the Microsoft 50202 Fix It Tool (aggressive) to reinstall WU. Thinking after WU was reinstalled & KB3035583 hidden that WU wouldn't pick up on the Upgrade to Windows 10 updates. Alas not the case, they are still there *Sad
    May be installing WinX on this Desktop PC earlier than I thought.

dogpark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update

1. Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Option via Windows Update - Similar Threads - Remove Upgrade Option

2. Windows 11 upgrade via updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade via updates: My "check for updates" installed windows 11 months ago but I had to revert back to W10 as I could not log in to new W11. Front screen would not load log in pageMy question therefore is:-How can I get windows update to automatically install W11 free upgrade via update...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade via updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade via updates: My "check for updates" installed windows 11 months ago but I had to revert back to W10 as I could not log in to new W11. Front screen would not load log in pageMy question therefore is:-How can I get windows update to automatically install W11 free upgrade via update...
  4. KB5003637 update removed option to upgrade to 21H1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB5003637 update removed option to upgrade to 21H1: Prior to June patch Tues updated I was offered 21H1 as an optional update Since applying the CU updates for June, I am no longer offered 21H1 I am definitely still on 20H2, I was planning to update to 21H1 after June patch Tues Not sure why I am no longer offered 21H1 (on...
  5. Windows 10 Updates Remove Hibernation Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Remove Hibernation Option: I have noticed that after every update for Windows 10, the update removes my Hibernation option. I always have to use the command prompt with Administrator rights to reinstate the Hibernation option because it is has not been an option to restore it in the Settings (one...
  6. Removing the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update: So I uninstalled the update that contained GWX.exe and Im still getting annoyed by Windows to upgrade still anyway to remove that update? Look at my image to see what im talking about I want to delete that update and when to check updates it wont make me upgrade to Windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades Applies to Windows 10 •Windows 10 Mobile •Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT Core) This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10 and IoT Core and how they enable enterprises to keep their...
  8. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and Upgrades - Last Updated: 4/6/2016 Applies to •Windows 10 •Windows 10 Mobile •Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT Core) This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, and IoT Core and...
  9. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades [img] This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10, and how they enable enterprises to keep their devices current with the latest feature upgrades. It also covers related topics, such as...
  10. Remove Windows 10 Upgrade (via Windows Update) Option.

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Windows 10 Upgrade (via Windows Update) Option.: Hi, I am using Windows 7 SP1 [ Genuine ]. My upgrade to windows 10 is ready via windows update but i don't want to install it. Any idea how to remove this option so that normal system updates can be install. Thanks. [img] 13260