Windows 10: Removed my own admin ability, unable to get it back

Discus and support Removed my own admin ability, unable to get it back in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a home theater PC which I had operating with an admin level account. I figured it would be safest to remove this, so I removed my administrator... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by waylo, Oct 30, 2016.

1. waylo Win User

Removed my own admin ability, unable to get it back

I have a home theater PC which I had operating with an admin level account. I figured it would be safest to remove this, so I removed my administrator rights and rebooted.

Now I have no accounts with admin rights!

I have only local accounts, none connected to Microsoft. How can I restore my admin rights?

I've looked at multiple online tutorials, but all require some sort of admin rights to begin with.

:)

waylo, Oct 30, 2016
  2. Lehrbachs Win User

how to get admin rights on my own computer?

that's not true

Lehrbachs, Oct 30, 2016
  3. how to get admin rights on my own computer?

Hi Duncan,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1

•Open an elevated command prompt

•Type takeown /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL (You may also need the /P <password>

•Once that completes type cacls %USERPROFILE% /T /E /G %USERNAME%:F

This should force you to be the owner of everything in your profile and grant you full access.

If the issue still prissiest, try Method 2.

Method 2

• Press WinKey+ Q, type
      user accountsand click on the result.

• Then select your User Account > Click Manage another account.

• In the following window, click Add a user account option.

• Now we have to create a local account user. So after clicking
      Add an account, click Sign in without a Microsoft account (Not recommended), then clickLocal account. Fill the details on the screen so appeared for adding local account. Click
      Finish when done.

• Press Windows Key + Q and type
      cmd
      , for the search results, click Command Prompt. Type following command and hit
      Enter key: shutdown /r /o

• The previous step will result your system to boot into
      Safe Mode. After getting into Safe Mode, press
      Windows Key + Q, type user accounts, and pick the same from results so appear. You would have now two accounts on your system; first you’re issued admin account and second the local account which you’ve
      created in step 2. Select local account.

• Now click Change the account type link in following window:

• Moving on, change the account status from
      Standard
      to
      Administrator
      . Click Change Account Type.

In this way, the new local account we’ve created has been changed to Administrator. Now you can restart your machine and log into this account with administrator rights. Since you have administrative privileges now; so you can back up your documents
    from the old administrator account.

Finally, delete the old admin account and switch to Microsoft account to synchronize your settings with new administrative account. Your system will now act normally with full admin rights in your hand.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 30, 2016
  4. waylo Win User

Okay, after a few hours of frustration I figured it out. Sorry if this is easy-peezy to the experts here.

Posting just for posterity...

1. Booted into Safemode with command mode. The ubiquitous but hidden Administrator account is visible here.
    2. Entered this command to activate the Administrator account visibility:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    3. Booted into this Admin account, now visible, in Windows the regular way and changed my usual account back to Admin.
    4. Entered this in a command prompt to disable the Admin account visibility:
    net user administrator /active:no

Reasons why this was not as easy as portrayed on every online tutorial:

1. Safemode for Win10 looks so different from anything else I was accustomed to, it took a while to get into it
    2. This PC came installed with Win8, then upgraded to Win10 online, so no physical media was available.
    3. Some tutorials asked for recovery media, and my Win10 install refused to create recovery media for some reason
    4. I had forgotten my Admin password because I had never set it. Hint: Hit ENTER if it prompts for one and it's never been set.
    5. Attempts to boot into regular Safemode Administrator gave me a non-working Win10 Safemode. Specifically, it showed a standard windows screen with taskbar, but NOTHING worked.

waylo, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Yes. by default the built-in Administrator account is disabled and has no password. Well done for sorting this out for yourself, and especially for remembering to disable Administrator once you'd finished using it.

You should be able to use the Recovery Media Creator to make a bootable USB (just type 'recovery drive' in the Cortana/Search box).

If that's not working for you, then you can use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB containing the full install media for Windows 10.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Removed my own admin ability, unable to get it back - Similar Threads - Removed own admin

2. How to get admin rights back in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get admin rights back in windows: I have lost admin rights what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-admin-rights-back-in-windows/bc671641-49af-4fa0-b369-2c91865eb3f3
  3. Something removed my ability to save to my disk.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Something removed my ability to save to my disk.: If i want to download something it says that i don't have permition to save files in this location:And even if i open the explorer i no longer have easy acces to create files just folders:I have already set the ownerhip of the drive:Did someone experienced this issue or...
  4. Something removed my ability to save to my disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something removed my ability to save to my disk.: If i want to download something it says that i don't have permition to save files in this location:And even if i open the explorer i no longer have easy acces to create files just folders:I have already set the ownerhip of the drive:Did someone experienced this issue or...
  5. Something removed my ability to save to my disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc: if i want to delete or save a file in a folder i am told that i need to contact the administrator for this how do i get admin rights on my own pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-gain-admin-rights-or-run-as/42f606d7-764a-4118-9a39-c773b68ae014
  7. i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc

i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc: if i want to delete or save a file in a folder i am told that i need to contact the administrator for this how do i get admin rights on my own pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-gain-admin-rights-or-run-as/42f606d7-764a-4118-9a39-c773b68ae014
  8. RAT/Malware - Getting back Admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAT/Malware - Getting back Admin: I’m trying to fix a family members computer. I suspect was exposed to a RAT, where they pose as windows employees and get access to the computer, remove you from admin and install adware etc. Can anyone identify if any of these are troublemakers on this computer? CCleaner...
  9. How to get are my own Sticky Notes back?

How to get are my own Sticky Notes back?: I just have installed Sticky Notes from Store, Ver. 1.1.41.0 , but I can not see my Notes, I just get one Blank Note to see, last Version I could see a Blank and one with my old notes. I have important notes there, how do I get them back? Thanks 68788
  10. How to get my admin account back

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get my admin account back: I have 2 user accounts on my laptop - Myname Admin and Myothername user account. Each account has a different image.I use the latter for my everyday use and the admin account for, as the name indicates, Admin purposes. I also use the two accounts to help avoiding a virus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. takeown /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL