Windows 10: Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?

Discus and support Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all, I have 3 questions regarding putting a PC into a lower energystate. 1. Can the PC be damaged if I turn off and remove the Power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?

Hello all,

I have 3 questions regarding putting a PC into a lower energystate.

1. Can the PC be damaged if I turn off and remove the Power Supply and opening the case to clean the PC, while the PC is in Hibernation Mode instead of having it fully shut down?

2. I've seen in the energy options that there is a Hybrid Sleep state as well. How can I determine if my PC is in Hibernation or in Hybrid Sleep mode? I usually select the option in the start menu Power icon, but since the language is in Dutch, I'm not sure which is which. I can press a key on the keyboard to turn the PC back on if that info is of any use.

3. If my PC is in Hybrid Sleep mode, will it do any damage to the PC if I remove the power supply, open the case and clean the PC?

:)

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017

2. Battery drain with windows 10 on surface pro 2

The easiest solution for me was to change the power button settings when on battery. I changed the option from "Sleep" (which I have been told in Windows 10 is really "Hybrid Sleep") to "Hibernate". It appears to me that the default Hybrid Sleep mode on
    the SP2 eats the battery. Now I just hit the power button when I am done. My battery lasts 3-4 days again.

Comparing Sleep, Hibernation, and Hybrid Sleep on Windows - TekRevue

HTH,

M

Matthew McDermott, MVP, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    black screen

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2797800/pow...

The solution on that page:

You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the
    first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

Also another solution from the same page:: Remove the BIOS/CMOS Battery for 1-2 Minutes and put it in again.

With laptops this is usually under the memory module cover.

Time Lady, Apr 9, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

lx07, Apr 9, 2017
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I've indeed found that article before. But, if Hybrid Sleep still uses RAM while RAM needs power, how can it be ok to turn off the power supply during that mode?

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017
  6. You can't. Once you remove the power supply anything in memory vanishes? Nothing will happen if you just turn your PC off and the clean it.

Josey Wales, Apr 9, 2017
  7. JohnnyGui Win User
    In that case, it shouldn't also be a problem if you remove the power supply during a normal sleep state?

Wouldn't that be a risk to corrupt or damage the RAM memory?

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Because Hybrid Sleep has two copies of the RAM data - one in the RAM itself, the other written to disk. It uses the RAM if available, or restores the RAM from disk if not. The key line in the article is...

Bree, Apr 9, 2017
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    That clears it up. So if I understand correctly, it shouldn't be a risk of RAM damage if I remove the power supply while RAM is receiving power? The same thing happens if you completely shut down the pc?

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    That's right. When the power is lost the contents of the RAM are lost. It doesn't damage it.

When you restart if it was in Hybrid Sleep it will see the RAM is empty and restore the contents from the disk.

If it was in Sleep there would be nothing in RAM and nothing to restore from disk so it would do a cold boot which probably wouldn't damage anything (certainly not hardware). You would however lose what you were doing and could potentially corrupt Windows although it never happened to me.

Do unplug it from the wall though - don't just open the case and remove the power supply with it still plugged in to the mains.

11. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for clearing this up lx07. I always unplug everything from the wall and discharge myself before cleaning it, thanks for the advice nonetheless.

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017
  12. No, you have never turned off your PC? you have never lost power? Anytime I mess with a power supply I remove AC to. I have worked on some huge power supplies and or inverters that backed up a DMS 100 Switch. Nothing will happen to your PC. what is stored is temporary files. I have cleaned my PC about once a month and I never had to remove the PS to do it

Josey Wales, Apr 9, 2017
  13. JohnnyGui Win User

I have turned it off before, but it didn't immediately came to mind that turning off a PC empties the RAM the same way as removing a power supply during a Hybrid Sleep. Wanted to be sure on that. *Smile

JohnnyGui, Apr 9, 2017
  14. JohnnyGui Win User
    I have a slightly off-topic question but I noticed something weird.

Before cleaning up the PC, if I completely shut down the PC, I'd always have to press the Power button several times before the PC finally boots up. It then boots up normally as if nothing happened.
    At first I thought this might be a problem with the PSU but here's the weird part; When I put the PC into Hibernation Mode instead of shutting it down, pressing a key on the keyboard makes the PC boot up immediately, even if I've left the PC for a whole night in Hibernation Mode.

After cleaning up the PC, the PC boots up immediately even if I shut it down completely.

Is this still a problem with the PSU or could dust in the PSU (that I've cleaned) really be the cause of these symptoms?

JohnnyGui, Apr 10, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    Hi Johnny, first you should always turn the computer off, remove power and drain the capacitors by holding the power button down for several seconds before entering the case to clean it or work on any components.

Once you restore power, the capacitors have to restore power and supply power to the Motherboard and components before it will start. That usually occurs within a matter of a few seconds. It doesn't hurt anything and will damage nothing.

essenbe, Apr 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep? - Similar Threads - Remover Power Supply

2. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.: I have set the windows power settings as it put my system to hibernate when I close the lid on power off , but do nothing when power supply is on. I observe that when lid is closed and power supply is removed it doesn't hibernate the laptop?...
  3. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.: I have set the windows power settings as it put my system to hibernate when I close the lid on power off , but do nothing when power supply is on. I observe that when lid is closed and power supply is removed it doesn't hibernate the laptop?...
  4. Removing power supply on closed lid not performing hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop. Dell Inspiron 5420 12th Gen i7. I am having one problem from day one. My laptop automatically hibernates/shuts down when kept in sleep mode for a long time 7-8 hours. Sleep mode works fine if I use it in 1-2 hours. But if I keep...
  6. Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop. Dell Inspiron 5420 12th Gen i7. I am having one problem from day one. My laptop automatically hibernates/shuts down when kept in sleep mode for a long time 7-8 hours. Sleep mode works fine if I use it in 1-2 hours. But if I keep...
  7. Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.: I had CPU temp problem but a technician applied thermal paste and the temp is fixed.However I recently started having another problemwhen I launch any kind of game "Dota or rocket league" for example, after 2 min the pc will immediately restart by it self and show me this...
  8. Hybrid Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid Sleep: I have looked at the web and whilst some say it is a beneficial feature, others say to disable it. I read one link that stated even Microsoft recommended disabling it to prevent it from interfering with Windows updates. I have it disabled at present. Comments please. 173412
  9. sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep: How to enter hybrid sleep? For a long time, but not forever on win10, this Asus 2 in 1 laptop can never awake from sleep, it hard locks in sleep when it goes to sleep on its own, And usually hard locks within a few minutes. I told it NEVER to shut down when on AC power, so...
  10. Hibernate Requires Hard-Restart (power supply reset)

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate Requires Hard-Restart (power supply reset): Since the last Windows Update three days ago, waking up from Hibernate has been a problem. When going into Hibernate the computer completely shuts down. The power switch I normally use is not illuminated and has no effect. I must toggle the power switch on the power supply,...