Windows 10: Removing default user

Discus and support Removing default user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have obtained a 'legacy' computer with W10 on it. There is a single user in the configuration, and the computer is 'named' after that user, meaning... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by msummers, Oct 13, 2015.

1. msummers Win User

Removing default user

I have obtained a 'legacy' computer with W10 on it. There is a single user in the configuration, and the computer is 'named' after that user, meaning that when I look at my router, or see the computer in my network neighborhood, I see this user's name. I'd like to add a new administrative user to replace this original user, so that all traces of that user are gone. What is the best way to do that?

:)

msummers, Oct 13, 2015
  2. KaseyE Win User

Removing previous users OR changing default login user

unfortunately this didn't change anything. I did notice that when I click my Username (to logout/lock) in the start menu I only saw the temporary account i created, not the old username I am trying to delete. When i was logging in with the temporary account
    only my username and the temporary account were displayed in the bottom-left list of the login screen. When I restarted the unwanted username is displayed and the pc is trying to log into that by default. The unwanted username seems to display only after a
    restart or power-up, not after a lock or switching users

KaseyE, Oct 13, 2015
  3. KaseyE Win User
    Removing previous users OR changing default login user

Any other suggestions out there?

Would a windows "refresh" take care of the problem?

Im looking for ANY solution short of wiping out and starting over with a fresh windows install

KaseyE, Oct 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Removing default user

Hello msummers, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, resetting Windows would be a good option for that.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  5. msummers Win User
    Thank you Brink! I'll give that a try. I do not have a system disk, and W10 was installed as an upgrade to W8.1 - will that make any difference?

msummers, Oct 13, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 14, 2015
  7. msummers Win User
    msummers, Oct 14, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Removing default user

You're welcome. I hope it goes smoothly. *Smile

Brink, Oct 14, 2015
  9. msummers Win User
    It went smoothly indeed. No need for the recovery disk and the system is now completely reset! Thanks much for your help...

msummers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Removing default user

1. Removing default user - Similar Threads - Removing default user

2. User's default picture REMOVAL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's default picture REMOVAL: I cannot remove the default user picture the anonimous blobs inside a circle on the login screen. I have tried all the suggested methods but none work. It worked in the past but not on the newer version of windows 11, even on a clean install with nothing else added....
  3. User's default picture REMOVAL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User's default picture REMOVAL: I cannot remove the default user picture the anonimous blobs inside a circle on the login screen. I have tried all the suggested methods but none work. It worked in the past but not on the newer version of windows 11, even on a clean install with nothing else added....
  4. What are these default users?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these default users?: I was cleaning up my disk and I found these default users on my pc and I do not recall them. Even worse, they can't be deleted. Please advise me on how to get rid of them. Appreciate any help....
  5. Change default user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default user: I just had to totally replace my Windows 10 OS and now it's using deejh as the default user instead of wildchild1954, which is what it used to, and should still, be. Can anyone tell me in simple English how to make that back into the default user? I hate having to go...
  6. Change default user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default user: I just had to totally replace my Windows 10 OS and now it's using deejh as the default user instead of wildchild1954, which is what it used to, and should still, be. Can anyone tell me in simple English how to make that back into the default user? I hate having to go...
  7. Change default user

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Users\Default (Question)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Users\Default (Question): Hello Can I delete folder C:\Users\Default? It's about 2.5 MB When I press start and write Documents I go to Documents in Default not in my folder... submitted by /u/Adewi0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkqul0/usersdefault_question/
  9. How to set default user, switch user, and remove a user for WSL

in Windows 10 News
    How to set default user, switch user, and remove a user for WSL: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux is an essential component of Windows 10 and a boon for the developers who rely on any of the flavors of Linux to get their work done. However, it has always been a problem [...] This post How to set default user, switch...
  10. Default Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Users: Hi there, I've got my Windows 10 that came with a laptop I bought about an year ago. I wasn't using it so much and I am not much of a geek anymore. Before I used to customise absolutely everything that I have to touch. Well I still got some of that and at the moment there...