Windows 10: Removing files from "All Apps" Tablet Mode for childrens account

Discus and support Removing files from "All Apps" Tablet Mode for childrens account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I have recently re-installed "Windows 10 Home" onto my laptop after a year of my 2 children downloading, installing, deleting and moving all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wayneali, Sep 6, 2017.

1. wayneali Win User

Removing files from "All Apps" Tablet Mode for childrens account

Hi all, I have recently re-installed "Windows 10 Home" onto my laptop after a year of my 2 children downloading, installing, deleting and moving all manner of files, my theory - back everything up and go with a new, "fresh" start. I have set them both up this time around with their individual user account and all is good with these, however, I am trying to remove certain apps/folders - or at least make them inaccessible to them.

My account is set up in desktop mode where everything runs and looks like your regular pc desktop (how I like it), they on the other hand prefer tablet mode. I have set up their "Start" screen with the apps and features they use, however, in the top left corner is the "All Apps" button and this is where the problems start.

When this is clicked, it gives a list of all apps, programs and folders installed and accessible to them, including folders such as "Windows Administrative Tools" and "Microsoft Office 2016 Tools". I am trying to hide or remove these folders from their account, being 8 and 10, they don't need access to these folders and I know if they are left on there the 8 year old will be defragmenting, cleaning and deleting in no time.

I have tried hiding the files in the "Programs" folder (the shortcut source folder) but this does not work, deleting the file seems to delete the folder for all users (including myself), right-clicking an app gives the option to uninstall and this seems to uninstall just for that user, I am just having a headache with the folders mentioned above, right-clicking a folder does not give any options.

Any help or suggestions removing, or just hiding these folders within their accounts (within the "All Apps" navigation) would be great.

I hope this makes sense to someone & many thanks in advance, Wayne

:)

wayneali, Sep 6, 2017
  2. CharlesXC Win User

How to I add an application to "Blocked apps & games" section of Microsoft Account, Family tab

I created my children's accounts under my MS account. I accidentally removed Chrome from the "Blocked apps & games" section. How do I add it back? Did not see any option to do so. It is kinda stupid to give people the ability to remove an app without the
    ability to add one.

CharlesXC, Sep 6, 2017
  3. How to I add an application to "Blocked apps & games" section of Microsoft Account, Family tab

Ok

andie.elecion, Sep 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as you have the Home edition, you can't use the group policy editor.

However, provided you're familiar with the registry and can take due precautions using registry backup and system restore, you could try
    How to Block (or Allow) Certain Applications for Users in Windows
    (Written for Win 7, but may well work in Win 10 - I've not tried it).
    - more recent similar article:
    Prevent Users From Running Certain Programs

This is specified up to Win 8- you could try it, and look for an alternative if not.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/progra...-free-download

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Hi Wayne and Welcome to TenForums.

I actually use either Pro or Enterprise versions of Windows 10 so the following is Theory Based rather than experience based

Windows 10 has an in-built Family control system available that is specifically designed to meet your requirements The Family Options allow you to add each child and adult in your family set-up as individuals with their own desktop and usage limits

The simplest way to get started is to go to Settings and Type Family in the search bar ...

Removing files from "All Apps" Tablet Mode for childrens account [​IMG]

There are a full range of step by step tutorials on this site which will assist you in designing and setting up a custom designed system for your family based on age needs etc ...

Family Child - Manage Apps, Games Media Settings Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Barman58, Sep 9, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I suspect the options of restricting users using that may be rather limited
    Does this apply at all to desktop programs downloaded from other sources than the store?

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  7. Barman58 Win User
    I just picked one random tutorials of the many there by Shawn, there are, as usual, many more *Wink

Windows 10 Forums - Search Results

I have used the previous family access control systems on windows, for small business controls where server based control was not practical, and it controlled all the "dangerous" system tweak applets, control panel, and also granular control of programs for the "child" users. It also included control over the amount of Online or even local access each "Child" was allowed

I am assuming that the new "improved" Win 10 version follows the same system

Barman58, Sep 9, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Thanks- there's a very detailed description here:
    How to Add a Child or Adult User in Windows 10

Here
    How to Add and Monitor a Childs Account in Windows 10
    Blocking apps by age rating must surely apply only to store apps.
    Also mentioned is:
    'You can also explicitly' .... suggests access to the Microsoft Family Safety web site will allow specific apps to be blocked.

This implies the site has access to a list of all programs installed on an individual account, which I find interesting. Of course that would be feasible...

Wikipedia:
    Windows 10 Features

So downloading other browsers and running them would have to be restricted.

• Turning on web filtering for a child blocks access to adult websites and enables safe search, which filters out adult content in search results from Bing, Google, Yahoo! and other popular search engines.[3] When Web Filtering is enabled, the safe search setting blurs out adult content in images. The web filter also provides a block list for parents who want to prevent their child from accessing specific websites. In addition, the Allow List Only feature gives parents the ability to block access to all websites that are not on the Allow List. Web Filtering blocks InPrivate browsing in Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. When the child is blocked from visiting a website, they can send a request to the parent asking for permission. Upon approval the child can visit the website.[4] Since other browsers are not blocked, a child can access any website using a different browser (either installed or portable).
    • Activity Reporting – Parents can obtain a list of the websites visited, device usage time, and apps used for any Windows 10 PC or Mobile devices. InPrivate browsing is blocked in Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers. Parents can choose to receive the activity report as a weekly email for each child. Child users are copied on the activity report email that parents receive and are able to view a read-only version of their activity report on the account.microsoft.com/family website.[5]
    • Screen time - The time limits feature allows parents to restrict the amount of time a child can use the PC. Parents can specify time intervals that PCs can be used as well as a maximum time allowance per PC. When time runs out, the child can send the parent a request asking for a time extension. Upon approval the child will be able to continue using the computer.[6]
    • App, games & media limits - Parents can set an age rating for content that a child can acquire in the Windows Store. The age rating applies to apps, games, music, movie content that a child can browse or acquire in the Windows Store. Any content rated above the child’s age rating is blocked. Parents can explicitly block an app or game through the child’s Recent Activity report. When a child attempts to access a blocked app or game, they can send the parent a request asking for permission. Upon approval the child can access the app or game.[7] It is not possible to block non-Windows Store applications.
    • Purchase & spending features - Parents can add money to their child’s account that the child can then use to buy content in the Windows Store. This feature allows parents to give their children spending allowances without having to attach a credit card to the child’s account. Parents can see a child’s recent purchases in the Windows Store.[8]
    • Find your child - Parents can find their child’s Windows 10 Mobile phone on a map.[9]

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing files from "All Apps" Tablet Mode for childrens account - Similar Threads - Removing files Apps

2. Tablet Mode/Keyboard for All Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tablet Mode/Keyboard for All Users: Hey everyone, so I've currently got a tablet that I am setting up for disabled users around my workplace and I've run into a bit of an issue.By default, the setting that enables the use of the tablet mode screen keyboard is off by default and seems to only be configurable on...
  3. Tablet Mode/Keyboard for All Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tablet Mode/Keyboard for All Users: Hey everyone, so I've currently got a tablet that I am setting up for disabled users around my workplace and I've run into a bit of an issue.By default, the setting that enables the use of the tablet mode screen keyboard is off by default and seems to only be configurable on...
  4. Connecting Children’s Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connecting Children’s Accounts: I created accounts for my kids and need to connect them to my family group. Since they’re minors, this requires my consent, which I’m asked to give by “signing” a form. To sign, I’m supposed to type my name which doesn’t make much sense. When I do so, I’m prompted that my...
  5. Connecting Children’s Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting Children’s Accounts: I created accounts for my kids and need to connect them to my family group. Since they’re minors, this requires my consent, which I’m asked to give by “signing” a form. To sign, I’m supposed to type my name which doesn’t make much sense. When I do so, I’m prompted that my...
  6. Connecting Children’s Accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't remove device from children's devices

Can't remove device from children's devices: I have download and install 'Microsoft Family Safety' App to 2 Android devices. And when I try to remove one from family.microsoft.com, I notice that I can't get the list to do that. Neither my nor children's account can't remove the device.If I post under incorrect category,...
  8. Children could Remove themselves from Family Safety

Children could Remove themselves from Family Safety: how do i stop my child from removing themselves from family safety network ? they have completely removed their device how is this possible? i thought the idea was so you could track, set screen limits, block certain sites etc [Original Title: Family safety network is a...
  9. can i remove tablet mode from my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can i remove tablet mode from my computer: can i remove tablet mode from my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-remove-tablet-mode-from-my-computer/4c25977a-5c29-4c3c-b4ba-e653ba3e8dba
  10. Setting children accounts

Setting children accounts: Hi. I upgraded to win10 and tried to redefine my children accounts. I had no problem with one of them who had hotmail.com mail address. But I can't add the other one having outlook.com address. The invitation was sent to the child, he accepted it but his account is still...