Windows 10: removing lock and security from a locked C: drive

Discus and support removing lock and security from a locked C: drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Pulled this C drive from my windows 10 computer (which is stuck booting) and have plugged it into the usb on another windows 7 computer want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jfoj, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jfoj Win User

removing lock and security from a locked C: drive

Pulled this C drive from my windows 10 computer (which is stuck booting) and have plugged it into the usb on another windows 7 computer

want to unlock and remove security so that I can then do a windows repair to the drive and get it booting properly

Trying to remove the lock and security but not sure exactly how.

trying to unlock the drive and getting this error:

"an error occurred while applying security information to: E:\Program Files and E:\Program Files (x86) and a bunch of other folders

i plugged the drive into the usb port on another computer and started to unlock it following these direction exactly:

Follow these steps from the administrator account:

a. Click “Start” and click “Computer”.
    b. Right-click “C” and click “Properties”.
    c. Click the “Security” tab.
    d. Click “Authenticated Users” and click “Edit”.
    e. Select “Authenticated Users” again.
    f. Under “Permissions for Authenticated Users”, click “Allow”.
    g. Click “Apply”.
    h. Click “Yes” when prompted by a “Windows Security” dialog box.

Should I have been trying to unlock "SYSTEM", not "Authenticated Users"?

What did i do wrong?

How do I properly unlock the drive and reset the security so that I can access this drive and then run win10 repair to fix the errors?

:)

2. Shilohbob Win User

I cannot view my pictures after clean installing Windows 10

To remove the Lock Icon, try methods listed below, ignore that it refers to W7, it is relevant to E10.

Method 1:

a. Right click on the folder and click on “Properties”.

b. Go to the tab “Sharing”.

c. Click on “Share”.

d. Select the usergroup from the dropdown e.g. Everyone if you want to share it with everyone and then click on Share to remove the lock from the folder.

The usergroup “Everyone” will have access to the folder then. The folder no longer has special permissions and Windows 7 will therefore remove the lock icon.

Method 2:

a. Right click on the folder and click on“Properties”.

b. Go to the tab “Security”.

c. Click on the “Advanced” button at the bottom.

d. Click on “Change Permission”.

e. Select your user account and check the option “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent”.

f. Click on apply to remove the lock icon.

The lock icon will be removed because the folder now inherits the permission of the parent folder. If that folder does not have any special permissions you will successfully remove the lock from the folder.

Shilohbob, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Thebarman Win User
    N9 Autolock sign in after enable mail exchange

After removing the mail for exchange account, if you go to settings-security-device lock-autolock. You should see the option Off. That would disable the security lock. You don't see this option "off" ?

Please note that this won't remove the security lock completely though. It would just disable it.

Thebarman, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Sounds like you may need to take ownership of the entire drive system. Still seems a risky way of doing a repair.
    How exactly is it 'locked' ?

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  5. jfoj Win User
    this desktop is stuck in a bootloop after an automatic window 10 update

"reset this pc" tells me the drive is locked

system restore does not work.... "need to specify which installation to restore" but no options are available

automatic repair does not work

reset this pc tells me the drive is locked

pulled the drive and mounted it to another computer and ran chkdsk /f on it, it made some repairs and when i reinstalled it and tried to boot, i'm still getting the same problem.

when i run chkdsk /f a second time , no errors are found

used rufus software to load windows 10 iso to usb drive but it does not work....seems like it's not booting from the usb.

used win 10 media creation tool to create a bootable usb drive from win 10 iso, will not boot from usb drive

created a win 10 dvd from iso and it will not boot from dvd

cannot enter bios thru startup for some reason and on the troubleshooting advanced options section, there is no option for startup settings to get to bios that way.

going back to previous build does not work

system image recovery failed: system cannot find file specified (0x80070002)

System File CHecker tool from bios tells me: " there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete" but i've rebooted 10 times and nothing changes.

when it attempts repairs and fails, it always takes me to a page asking what language my keyboard is, i select US and then it takes me to the troubleshooting page.

how do i fix this boot looping problem?

specs:
    dell X8700-1257BLK
    Intel Core i7-4770 Processor 3.4GHz 4th gen
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) upgraded to win10
    16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    samsung evo pro 840 500gb ssd
    DVDRW Drive
    10/100/1000 Network
    802.11n Wireless
    Bluetooth

6. dencal Win User
    Can you get a "Command Prompt (Admin)"? If so copy paste the following and press enter.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

dencal, Oct 19, 2015
  7. jfoj Win User
    I have this bad drive mounted to another computer via usb.

I can access cmd and tried your instructions and got this response.

Error 87:
    The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.

8. dencal Win User

You must only use the restorehealth option on the computer that Windows was installed on, as it will only recognise the mobo that it was registered with.

dencal, Oct 19, 2015
  9. jfoj Win User
    I mounted the drive back into the desktop pc and from the command prompt I see this:

x:\windows\system32>

if I type in C: , I get this:

"The system cannot find the drive specified."

If i mount this C: drive to another computer, I can see/open this drive as E:

How do I locate the drive from command prompt and change its letter back to C: ?

10. dencal Win User
    Can you open "This PC" in Admin Tools?....If so right click on drive and rename.

dencal, Oct 19, 2015
  11. dencal Win User
    You could try restorehealth option after your above x then change if successful from x drive to c drive as shown.

dencal, Oct 19, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    I guess you don't have a backup image?

13. jfoj Win User

hi Gary, cannot boot from win10 iso on a usb flash and cannot boot from win10 iso on dvd. Can't access bios to set booting order

Thema:

1. removing lock and security from a locked C: drive - Similar Threads - removing lock security

2. Locked out of C: Drive and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of C: Drive and Computer: I have tried running all the normal items to get it into safe mode with networking and can’t get it to log in. So I’m stuck with the error that says the user profile service failed the sign in and user profile can’t be loaded. Was wondering if there was anyway to get all of...
  3. Locked out of C: Drive and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of C: Drive and Computer: I have tried running all the normal items to get it into safe mode with networking and can’t get it to log in. So I’m stuck with the error that says the user profile service failed the sign in and user profile can’t be loaded. Was wondering if there was anyway to get all of...
  4. Bitlocker has locked my C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker has locked my C Drive: I have a laptop from my old job. That company has since gone under. I have no access to the bitlocker key as the company had set the laptop up. I have tried various system recoveries, rebooting system via the bios, trying to unlock the C drive via cmd but nothing works....
  5. Bitlocker has locked my C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker has locked my C Drive: I have a laptop from my old job. That company has since gone under. I have no access to the bitlocker key as the company had set the laptop up. I have tried various system recoveries, rebooting system via the bios, trying to unlock the C drive via cmd but nothing works....
  6. Removing Password from Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Password from Lock Screen: Whenever i open my laptop i always have to sign in to my microsoft account. Even whenever i turn off the sleep mode i have to sign in and type my password. I want to turn off the password option.I am using windows 11....
  7. Locked out of c drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locked out of c drive: I accidentally denied every users, administrators, system, authenticated users from full access in c drive. Now I can't access c drive. Windows doens't works properly and even the system can't access system 32 folder. And whenever I click something inside the properties of c...
  8. Drive C: is locked after interrupted standby

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive C: is locked after interrupted standby: Hello, I am in the process of installing windows on a new drive, but I continued using the old drive until I got everything set up, all programs installed and files transfered., for the installation process I changed the boot order but I forgot to change it back. So I...
  9. Removing "Sleep" from the lock screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Removing "Sleep" from the lock screen: Hi, I want to remove the "Sleep" option from the Windows 10 lock screen. I found GPO items to be able to remove it form the start menu, but I now want to also remove it from the lock screen. Am I missing something? Or is it truly not there? I've got a range of Windows...
  10. Lock Removal

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Removal: So I am a father of 2 and my kids have found ways around the whole lock thing so I solved the problem by simply adding a new program that they dont know about that activates a similar lock... is there any way I can remove the original program so I dont have to manage 2? I am...