Windows 10: Removing old D:\Windows

Discus and support Removing old D:\Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meimeiriver, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Removing old D:\Windows

It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as usual, very aggressively hinders you in doing what you want to do.

How do I delete these files?! Even just opening an Administrative command prompt, using del *.* /s, doesn't work.

Thanks

:)

meimeiriver, Mar 17, 2016

2. Removing bcdboot

I recently added a boot menu in Windows 10, using "bcdboot d:\Windows" (where d: is my old Win 7 install). I'd like to remove the old Windows 7 directories (on dRemoving old D:\Windows :), though, and thus (obviously) just boot from c: (my current Win 10).

Can I savely remove the old Windows 7 directories, though? (d:\Windows). I'd hate not being able to boot up any more as a result.

Thanks.

meimeiriver2, Mar 17, 2016
  3. BSOD issues Windows 10 64bit

Yes but it still comes up as a BSOD issue in verifier. D:

What does this thing happen though? Even though the old one was removed and a windows 1064bit compatible version is installed.

chooxingyu, Mar 17, 2016
  4. Removing old D:\Windows

The Take Ownership tool apparently couldn't take all files from the Windows 'root' in one big chunk. Applying it to each subdir individually worked just fine. Except for 1 file (see below)

5. Strange. Only file I can't remove is

D:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash64_21_0_0_182.ocx

6. Now it's really solved. *Smile Needed to go thru quite a few hoops; but I needed to remove inheritance from it. Now it's gone.

meimeiriver, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Removing old D:\Windows

1. Removing old D:\Windows - Similar Threads - Removing old

2. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  3. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  4. I need help to remove my old number and add a new one without logging in first

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help to remove my old number and add a new one without logging in first: Hi, I cannot log on to my account because its sending the code to the lost number . can you please help me change the number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-to-remove-my-old-number-and-add-a-new/5b55e383-41e2-4dfd-b5fb-43e4589606cd
  5. I need help to remove my old number and add a new one without logging in first

I need help to remove my old number and add a new one without logging in first: Hi, I cannot log on to my account because its sending the code to the lost number . can you please help me change the number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-to-remove-my-old-number-and-add-a-new/5b55e383-41e2-4dfd-b5fb-43e4589606cd
  6. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  7. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  8. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Will replacing operating system remove old access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will replacing operating system remove old access?: I purchased an old company laptop and wiped it completely. The company sends mass updates to all their computers and redownloads all the software remotely. Would installing a new system stop the remote access?...
  10. Will replacing operating system remove old access?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will replacing operating system remove old access?: I purchased an old company laptop and wiped it completely. The company sends mass updates to all their computers and redownloads all the software remotely. Would installing a new system stop the remote access?...